New member from Michigan!

Check in here and say hi!

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

nucleuscracker

New member from Michigan!

#1 Post by nucleuscracker » Mon May 02, 2016 5:39 am

Hello group!

Current owner of a 2007 Yamaha AR230 but with step daughters that are now 16 and almost 18, the wife, kids and I are looking to upgrade into a pontoon that will allow them to take it out when I'm out of town for work, or with their friends.

currently looking at new, either Harris or Bennington, possibly Sylvan. (Harris and Sylvan lines are both sold by our marina).

We've learned a lot the past few weeks and from on line reading but would Love any tips/watch outs for buying our first pontoon!
A lot of people ask me if I were shipwrecked, and could only have one book, what would it be? I always say 'How to Build a Boat
(Quote by - Stephen Wright)

DSwatloski

Re: New member from Michigan!

#2 Post by DSwatloski » Mon May 02, 2016 6:21 am

Welcome. I've owned a Tracker and currently own a Harris, both great boats. My advice, don't do carpeting, do vinyl flooring... boat stays cleaner and is easier to clean. The rest is personal preference on seating, bimini. On the bimini, get as much coverage as you can. You can always adjust it or open it up for sun. Last tips on performance: 1) if you want to go above 25 MPH get a pontoon or tritoon with lifting strakes, 2) engines not less than a 90 HP if you want any speed at all, and last make sure you verify the engine height and propeller are correct before you let the dealer give you the boat. You can do this by posting up questions on the forums here. The general pontoon forum or the manufacturer review forum.

Dave
Dave Swatloski, Northern, VA Lake Anna
2015 Harris 220 CWX - 2015 Mercury 4-Stroke 115 HP Command Thrust, Road King Tandem Axle/w disc brakes
Former 2003 Seapro CC, Yamaha 115 HP 4-Stroke
Former 1990 SunTracker Party Barge 24' Tracker 90 HP 2-Stroke

smltooner

Re: New member from Michigan!

#3 Post by smltooner » Mon May 02, 2016 6:34 pm

Welcome to the club.
Good luck with your shopping.
SMLTOONER
Ted & Emily
2019 Bennington 21SL Tri-toon
2019 Yamaha 150 HP
Smith Mtn. Lake, Virginia