Greetings from South Georgia

Check in here and say hi!

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Azera

Greetings from South Georgia

#1 Post by Azera » Fri May 13, 2016 11:27 am

I'm not totally new to this site since I signed up last year sometime, but have mostly lurked. HOWEVER.....

The wife and I have finally acquired the MIL's 2004 Weeres pontoon boat and after a couple of seasons, we've decided to bite the bullet and restore the thing. So......

My intention is to not only chronicle the restoration process but to hopefully give some tips, advice, lessons learned (AKA busted knuckles) along the way.

Now.....I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination. But as a manufacturing engineer with over 35 years of experience with al-u-min-ee-um (as the Brits would say) via the aircraft industry, I'm kinda savy with that material. Additionally, as a child I was diagnosed with CLWEA (can't leave well enough alone) syndrome, so anything and everything was meant to be taken apart to see how it works as far as I was concerned. I also felt I had a mandate from whomever, to make whatever it was better. I was also blessed with the ability to put things back together and, to my parents surprise, it worked. Oh - and I've been around all kinds of boats since I was a wee lad.

I also had a visit from God at a young age and he told me that he invented the internal combustion engine for me so I could race things. This was not something my parents were keen about, but they couldn't really argue with God.

Anyhow......that's enough boredom for one afternoon with the exception that me being semi-retired amplifies my CLWEA to the total dismay of my wife.

Look for my post in the restoration section.

Tom Adams

Bamaman

Re: Greetings from South Georgia

#2 Post by Bamaman » Fri May 13, 2016 11:39 am

You should fit in perfectly well around here. Many of us are ADHD, OCD, ODD and many other letters I don't really understand.

2004 is relatively new for a pontoon boat. I have a 1985 Starcraft (used 28 years) in bad need of someone to restore it, and the hull's perfectly good.

But if you're a speed freak, pontoons have their limitations over 25 mph. They'll run up to 30 mph, and hit a brick wall where they won't go any faster without big horsepower and lifting strakes on the toons.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

smltooner

Re: Greetings from South Georgia

#3 Post by smltooner » Fri May 13, 2016 6:14 pm

Tom....welcome to the club.
Looking forward to following your progress.
SMLTOONER
Ted & Emily
2019 Bennington 21SL Tri-toon
2019 Yamaha 150 HP
Smith Mtn. Lake, Virginia