New Tooner

Check in here and say hi!

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

JerEazy

New Tooner

#1 Post by JerEazy » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:09 am

Hey there! Been lurking on the forums since I bought the boat about 1 1/2 months ago. Took care of a few things I wanted done - and being that I'm now running into what seems to be pontoon specific issues I figured it was time to join up!

New to toons, not to boats. Decided doing 60mph on the water just to waste some gas does t quite fit the family life we have now. So the Wellcraft went the way of the dodo and now I top out at a SOLID 26 mph (side note: need to re-prop) with the wife, kid, dog, cooler and a full tank of gas.

So far I've added a second battery on a switch. Relocated the battery and oil tank to where the "changing room" would be. (It seemed silly to have them fully exposed, plus now they ballast out the fuel tank.) Installed a system check tach to replace old one that was spotty at best (going to have some empty gauge holes soon, deciding what to put in their place. Or maybe do a new less cluttered cluster) And last weekend got 4 new JBL speakers and a PRV-175 (amp is in the house, want to mount and prep before install).

Looking forward to help out where I can! Below are some pics of the day she came home, the battery hook-up, and sound system steps.

The wife for good measure. - happy boating!
Last edited by JerEazy on Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Beaches Love Me

'03 Odyssey 21- 90hp Johnson

joe20toon

Re: New Tooner

#2 Post by joe20toon » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:07 am

Welcome...

Sarasota is a nice area!
2016 20 foot Sylvan RPT (V Pontoons)
Yamaha Vmax SHO 115HP
80 Pound Thrust RipTide Trolling Motor
Humminbird Helix 7 Side Imaging

JerEazy

#3 Post by JerEazy » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:19 am

joe20toon wrote:Welcome...

Sarasota is a nice area!
It's great for puttin around. Drop in on the manatee river and go to DeSoto Cove. Drop in Downtown Sarasota and go to Beercan Island/Jewfish Key or Lido. 20 Minute tow trip to Venice, 30 minute tow trip to St. Pete/Tampa.

Very different with the pontoon as I used to just leave the Manatee river and boat to wherever I felt (the 70 gallon fuel tank helped). But, the Gulf waters can get awkwardly choppy around here. So, I haven't tried any cross bay/Gulf side trips yet.
-Beaches Love Me

smltooner

#4 Post by smltooner » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:38 pm

Welcome to the club.
SMLTOONER
Ted & Emily
2019 Bennington 21SL Tri-toon
2019 Yamaha 150 HP
Smith Mtn. Lake, Virginia

ROLAND

#5 Post by ROLAND » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:41 am

welcome to the group!!
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

ralph

#6 Post by ralph » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:50 am

Welcome JerEazy. Nice toon. I bought a battery switch and battery last weekend for my toon. Just had knee surgery so I won't be attempting that for a few weeks at least. Don't know a thing about puting one in but we'll give it a try anyway. Nothing fancy, just 2 batteries.
2015 Sweetwater 2086 Coastal Edition - All Toon'd Up
2015 90 HP Yamaha
Mid American Dual Wheel Bunk Trailer
2017 4WD GMC Canyon

JerEazy

#7 Post by JerEazy » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:37 am

ralph wrote:Welcome JerEazy. Nice toon. I bought a battery switch and battery last weekend for my toon. Just had knee surgery so I won't be attempting that for a few weeks at least. Don't know a thing about puting one in but we'll give it a try anyway. Nothing fancy, just 2 batteries.
probably one of the easier things to do on the boat. Some people do the Blue Sea's Add A Battery system https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Systems ... ery+switch which is a great way to do it. But to me it's overkill. It's for people who don't want to do the 1, all, 2 switch. But, I like to be in control of what's going on while under-way and i have yet to (knock on wood) leave the switch on all or the wrong battery. It's just become second nature.

What you'll need:

Battery Switch (Blue Seas is my personal choice) https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Systems ... ery+switch
Good cutters and crimpers (don't try this with just some scissors and pliers)
Measure your distances you think you will need and then double it and get some quality tinned copper cable (I personally opted for 4awg and anything that's not tinned will corrode in a marine environment and you'll be doing this again in a few years)
Some quality MARINE terminal connectors (heat shrink for a good seal)
Electrical tape
Nylon Locking Nuts if you don't already have them
Side Note: (Marine batteries have a threaded post for a reason. You should be hooked to this with nylon locking nuts. NOT WINGNUTS or Car Battery Terminals these will shake loose, jiggle, wiggle and do other things that generally is not good for an electrical system If you are hooked up this way, change it now.
Battery terminal protecting spray to coat everything real nice when you're done.

Connect the two batteries negative terminals to create a common ground. Make sure you leave yourself enough cable to run it properly out of one of the exits of the battery box. You don't want a "Tight" cable. Give it some slack in case you need to move or replace the batteries at some point.

Here's the switch:

Run Positive from your starting battery to post #1 on the switch. Same as above the slack.

Run positive from your "House" or second battery to post #2 on the switch

Connect all outgoing power (engine, sound system etc etc) to the output/common post.

Bam - switched batteries. :nana

Now, some people go and get the switch mounted all pretty. And have the wiring all fancy pants. But at the end of the day, if it works; it works. And more cable and a re-run later in life is always possible (like i'll be doing when I install my amp.) I'll get some pictures then.

-Beaches Love Me