Greetings from Cen Florida

Check in here and say hi!

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Ragnaut

Greetings from Cen Florida

#1 Post by Ragnaut » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:32 am

I have a 23' Dorado for pure fishing, but want to add a pontoon boat.

Do you guys have a monster thread for guiding new buyers?

It needs to be rated for 12 passengers but a typical outing will involve 4-6 people.

Intended uses - Lakes, ICW cruises, occasional fishing/scalloping/snorkeling & scuba. The fishing would primarily be lake and inside stuff - reds, snook, etc. 2' will be max "seas".

I haven't owned one before and would like to know various pros/cons on pontoon v. tritoon v. hurricane style deck boats.

It doesn't have to be quick, but 20-25 mph would be nice. I don't want to hang a $10K motor on it.

Budget is flexible, but I will be buying used. I do not need a lot of whistles and bells.

Please share any thoughts you have. Pros/cons, do's/don'ts. Fondness of particular makes.

Length, motor size, etc. Things to look for in used toons.

Thanks in advance.

PlaynDoc

Re: Greetings from Cen Florida

#2 Post by PlaynDoc » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:40 pm

[quote="Ragnaut"]I ,,,,,,,,,,, want to add a pontoon boat.

Do you guys have a monster thread for guiding new buyers? - i think this whole forum is for new buyers, and for experienced 'toners

It needs to be rated for 12 passengers but a typical outing will involve 4-6 people. - I guess almost all pontoons that are able to get to 20-25mph will hold 12 people

Intended uses - Lakes, ICW cruises, occasional fishing/scalloping/snorkeling & scuba. The fishing would primarily be lake and inside stuff - reds, snook, etc. 2' will be max "seas". - sounds like perfect use for any pontoon boat

I haven't owned one before and would like to know various pros/cons on pontoon v. tritoon v. hurricane style deck boats. - tritoon performs more like V-hull during speed, with bi-toon characteristics when slow... deck boat - rough riding V-hull with walking around space

It doesn't have to be quick, but 20-25 mph would be nice. I don't want to hang a $10K motor on it. - if you're buying used, it'll usually already have a motor on it...

Budget is flexible, but I will be buying used. I do not need a lot of whistles and bells. - buying used is fine, but pontoons that aren't very old certainly maintain their value, and lots of times, the selling price is more than book.

Please share any thoughts you have. Pros/cons, do's/don'ts. Fondness of particular makes. - do a search on here...

Length, motor size, etc. Things to look for in used toons. - do a search on here

Thanks in advance.[/quote]
2011 SunChaser DS22
Mercury 115 EFI
13.75 x 15p

smltooner

#3 Post by smltooner » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:03 pm

Welcome to the club.
SMLTOONER
Ted & Emily
2019 Bennington 21SL Tri-toon
2019 Yamaha 150 HP
Smith Mtn. Lake, Virginia

ron nh

#4 Post by ron nh » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:22 pm

Based on how you want to use it, I'd start with a 24' tri-toon and go from there.
2015 Qwest LS 818XRE Tri-toon w/mercury 115.

JLester273

#5 Post by JLester273 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:23 am

Sounds like for your use a tri-toon will be better. Think buoyancy with three toons. 12 people that helps with carrying capacity. Plus I believe you will sit higher in the water and be able to fish the shallows. If you can I think a tri-toon is always going to be better. I am not sure I know a reason it wouldn't be better.

I have a Harris but its OLD . It is a 1989 with a Force 75 on it. I do about 18-19 with 8 people on it. My seats are old and heavy. As is the deck I am sure. From years of soaking up water. It is getting a rebuild this fall so it should loose some weight. Maybe I'll get 20-21 after the rebuild. If I don't change it to much.
My rebuild thread.
http://www.pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24807