New Pontoon'er

Check in here and say hi!

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

tshamba

New Pontoon'er

#1 Post by tshamba » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:12 pm

Hello...New pontoon family here. Hoping to learn lots of good stuff on the forum. We had a hard time settling on a boat. We ended up going with the dealer we felt the most comfortable with. Now we just have to wait until the snow melts to take delivery.

2018 Berkshire 23 RFX 2.75 with 150HP Mercury
2018 Venture VPT24-30 with 4000# upgrade

As with anything, there is always a little buyers remorse. Did we pick the right dealer, did we pick the right manufactrure, did we pay a fair price? Hopefully that all goes away once we see the kids splashing in the water this summer.

Strake

Re: New Pontoon'er

#2 Post by Strake » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:48 pm

Welcome to the group !!!

We're happy Berkshire owners, and hope you enjoy yours as much as we do ours.

Tons of great advise here. Often you can do a search and find what you are wanting to know, but if not, ask away.

We're going to our Lake place this week for about a week, but it will be TOO cold for me to fool with the boat. I'll at least get to walk down to the dock and look anyways :happy
"Strake"
Richard and Angie
Smith Mountain Lake, VA
2015 Berkshire 233 RFX STS
Yamaha F200 LB

Steve7

#3 Post by Steve7 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:32 pm

Tshamba,

Welcome and congratulations on your new boat! It sounds like it will work great for you.
Steve & Sue (pups: Sky & Sierra)
2018 G3 SunCatcher V322FC Yamaha 150
Minn Kota Terrova 80 trolling motor
Grand Design tt Reflection 297RSTS
2016 Ford F250 6.7
Grizzly Flats, Ca

smltooner

#4 Post by smltooner » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:14 pm

Welcome to the club.
SMLTOONER
Ted & Emily
2019 Bennington 21SL Tri-toon
2019 Yamaha 150 HP
Smith Mtn. Lake, Virginia

smltooner

#5 Post by smltooner » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:18 pm

[quote="Strake"].....We're going to our Lake place this week for about a week, but it will be TOO cold for me to fool with the boat. I'll at least get to walk down to the dock and look anyways :happy[/quote]

Richard....we've had ice around our cove for several days.
And WOW is the lake low.
SMLTOONER
Ted & Emily
2019 Yamaha 150 HP

Strake

#6 Post by Strake » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:31 pm

Ted,

YES, I've been watching the lake level via this website on a regular basis. I haven't seen the lake this low since Aug 2012 thru mid Feb 2013. Sure hope it comes back up soon. We haven't been at the lake since mid November. I'm sure the back end of our cove has some ice too.

http://www.smithmountainlakelevel.com
"Strake"
Richard and Angie
Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Yamaha F200 LB

tshamba

#7 Post by tshamba » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:56 pm

Thanks for the hospitality! I am happy to hear there is at least one other Berkshire owner out there. I was getting worried as there’s not too much information about them online.

Strake

#8 Post by Strake » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:53 pm

[quote="tshamba"]Thanks for the hospitality! I am happy to hear there is at least one other Berkshire owner out there. I was getting worried as there’s not too much information about them online.[/quote]

There's a few of us on here. Really a well made tritoon boat. Very happy with ours. I've spent considerable time buffing my buddy's Bennington that is the same layout, and size as mine, but the Berkshires have a better underskinning and in a number of ways I like the construction better.
Sounds like we have the same layout RFX...... Great layout for family and friends, cruising, etc. We have the 233 RFX in the STS series. We did factory order our boat and went with the 3.0 full center tube with the performance package. Due to the fact that we got a 200 hp engine, we ordered it with power steering, so glad we did.... we also got the extra, movable seat that can be used in the bow, or stern gate area. We leave our's in at the stern, unless we have guest and stop to swim. It's light enough to just lift it out of the way, and move to the bow, or port side gate area.

One of the favorite things is the in floor storage. Does your boat have that? If so, you'll find it really handy for storing swim noodles, ski's, etc. What did you get for flooring, vinyl, or grass weave, or carpet?

Don't forget, once Spring gets here, PICTURES of your new boat is a must !!!
"Strake"
Richard and Angie
Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Yamaha F200 LB

ROLAND

#9 Post by ROLAND » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:28 am

[quote="tshamba"]Hello...New pontoon family here. [/quote]

Hello Steve.. welcome to the forum. can't wait to see some pics of your new boat.. congratulations sir.
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

tshamba

#10 Post by tshamba » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:23 am

[quote=We have the 233 RFX in the STS series. We did factory order our boat and went with the 3.0 full center tube with the performance package. Due to the fact that we got a 200 hp engine, we ordered it with power steering, so glad we did.... we also got the extra, movable seat that can be used in the bow, or stern gate area. We leave our's in at the stern, unless we have guest and stop to swim. It's light enough to just lift it out of the way, and move to the bow, or port side gate area.

One of the favorite things is the in floor storage. Does your boat have that? If so, you'll find it really handy for storing swim noodles, ski's, etc. What did you get for flooring, vinyl, or grass weave, or carpet?

Don't forget, once Spring gets here, PICTURES of your new boat is a must !!![/quote]

Nice boat Strake! Love the options you chose. I would have opted for the same ones if we ordered. The boat we purchased is an STS series demo boat and was rented by the dealer a few times. We ended up with some options we like and some we could do with out. I was leery about purchasing this type of vessel, but since it is the families first boat and I am not sure how much we will use it, we opted for the best value we could find. We went over it with a fine tooth comb and could not find any damage and have the full manufactures warranty on the boat and motor.

Options include...Deluxe option package 2 (includes teak vinyl), 2.75 performance package (includes hydraulic steering), lighting package, color gps, JL audio package, power Bimini and privacy hoop and curtain.

Unfortunately it is not a 3.0 boat nor does it have in floor storage. The two things I really wanted along with the bigger motor.

The first upgrade is going to be dual batteries...

Strake

#11 Post by Strake » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:53 am

Sounds AWESOME !!!!! You don't mention what age your kids are, but you might want to get a portable port a potty, or hassock to have behind the available privacy curtain.

I bought a portable hassock style you put a green trash bag in on Amazon for just under $40 after a day of boating with my wife and 4 other ladies in the fall when it was too cold to jump in the lake ....... since buying it, it's NEVER been used, but great piece of mind. I just keep it right behind the Capt's seat. I never tell new passengers I have it, just for emergency use.

Yes, dual batteries with a switch is a great thing to have. We ordered our boat with it, along with the built in battery charger setup. We also have the fake Teak Vinyl..... LOVE IT..... no carpet ever again for me in a boat. We also got the pumped up stereo setup. It cranks!!!!

Now all we need is Spring time to get here.

What lake or lakes to you plan on enjoying in Upstate NY?
"Strake"
Richard and Angie
Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Yamaha F200 LB

tshamba

#12 Post by tshamba » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:27 am

Great tip on the hassock. I am going to order one today. My girls are 10 and 12, but my sister has triplets that will be with us more often than not and they are 9. I am sure it will come in handy. If not for the kids, then the adults...lol.

The plan is to trailer the boat for the first season or two to see what lakes we like the best. Oneida Lake is a few minutes away, so I can see us going there the most often, but want to explore all the Finger Lakes. We have friends that stay in Alexandrea Bay and Old Forge, so we will spend a fair amount of time on the St. Lawrence River and Fulton Chain Lakes as well.

smltooner

#13 Post by smltooner » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:41 pm

[quote="Strake"]Ted,

YES, I've been watching the lake level via this website on a regular basis. I haven't seen the lake this low since Aug 2012 thru mid Feb 2013. Sure hope it comes back up soon. We haven't been at the lake since mid November. I'm sure the back end of our cove has some ice too.

http://www.smithmountainlakelevel.com[/quote]

I use the same chart.
I couldn't get the boat out if I wanted to.
There is less than 1' of water under my lift right now.
SMLTOONER
Ted & Emily
2019 Yamaha 150 HP

Strake

#14 Post by Strake » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:28 pm

[quote="smltooner"][quote="Strake"]Ted,

I use the same chart.
There is less than 1' of water under my lift right now.[/quote]

WOW....... incredible . I thought you were at Gangplank Condos??? If so, I would have guessed there was plenty of water still under your lift.

I haven't seen ours yet, but will Thursday afternoon. Last time it was this low ( fall 2012) we still had plenty of water below the boat, but I was almost out of lift cable. Only had about 2 turns of cable left on the pole. At that time, we couldn't get our SeaDoo out as it's on the inside of the dock walkway and that only had about 2 inches of water under it. Not to mention that lift was about out of cable length too.

We're at South Pointe Condos off of Windlass Dr.......... still part of the "Waterfront " community.
"Strake"
Richard and Angie
Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Yamaha F200 LB

smltooner

#15 Post by smltooner » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:59 pm

[quote="Strake"][quote="smltooner"][quote="Strake"]Ted,

I use the same chart.
There is less than 1' of water under my lift right now.[/quote]

WOW....... incredible . I thought you were at Gangplank Condos??? If so, I would have guessed there was plenty of water still under your lift.

I haven't seen ours yet, but will Thursday afternoon. Last time it was this low ( fall 2012) we still had plenty of water below the boat, but I was almost out of lift cable. Only had about 2 turns of cable left on the pole. At that time, we couldn't get our SeaDoo out as it's on the inside of the dock walkway and that only had about 2 inches of water under it. Not to mention that lift was about out of cable length too.

We're at South Pointe Condos off of Windlass Dr.......... still part of the "Waterfront " community.[/quote]
We were at Gangplank Point. We bought a house and moved to Stone Ridge. We are on the peninsula between Blackwater and Gills Creek, on the Blackwater side.
SMLTOONER
Ted & Emily
2019 Yamaha 150 HP