Manual anchoring set ups for bow of pontoons

Check in here and say hi!

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

DawgDaze

Manual anchoring set ups for bow of pontoons

#1 Post by DawgDaze » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:41 pm

Looking for advice/help on a manual winch system which will also store the anchor. I was told for the lake I live on and the size of my "toon" that I should be using a 28lb navy anchor. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated . Don't want to drag a 28lb anchor all over my deck to store. Would like this set up to be bow mounted. Won't take possesion of boat till April, just ordered this week and is being built!
TIA to all! Moondoggy.
Pete, aka Moondoggy
Lake Meade, PA
2019 24' Sylvan, "Dawg Daze"

steve1313

Re: Manual anchoring set ups for bow of pontoons

#2 Post by steve1313 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:23 am

Welcome and Congratulations on the new boat! What you're looking for is typically called a windlass. Lots of choice and options available, although most are electric.

I'd also look at other anchor options than a heavy navy anchor. There are lots of lighter effective anchors that might make you decide you don't need a winch/windlass. Look at fluke style anchors, or box anchors. Depending on the size of your boat, you could most likely use a fluke anchor that weights half as much or less and still gives you great holding power.
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

DawgDaze

#3 Post by DawgDaze » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:33 am

Thank you Steve1313. My new Sylvan is a 24' boat.I live on a 700 acre Lake with a very silt/mud bottom. I am keeping my 16lb mushroom anchor from my last rig as an aft anchor for stabilization. Would appreciate your thoughts on something other than a 28lb navy anchor. Regards, Moondoggy.
Pete, aka Moondoggy
Lake Meade, PA

TWB

#4 Post by TWB » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:37 am

Gotta agree with Steve... A fluke is probably your best choice. I have a 24' and boat on the intracoastal. Always a fairly moving current. The fluke holds with no problem. For my stability in these currents, I use a fluke front & back. The key is having the lead chain and dropping your anchor out far enough.

I also use a crab trap float (about an 8" styrofoam ball with long cord and clip) to attach to the anchor chain. Helps mark where my anchor is to help avoid some idiot running through your rope, or stepping on the anchor in shallow water. Of course, your depth will make decisions for you.

:2cents

Good luck and have fun!
Paul & Michele
2003 Landau DX 24' Cruise "Loretta Jane"
2003 Mercury 75hp
My Rebuild: http://pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=26135

"Don't waste brain cells over something you can do nothing about." --My Wife

DawgDaze

#5 Post by DawgDaze » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:49 pm

Thanks guys, will do more research before any purchases!
Pete, aka Moondoggy
Lake Meade, PA

curtiscapk

#6 Post by curtiscapk » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:54 am

Truman is 80% mud the rest is timber. In 10 years my 25# mushroom has never failed me anchored from the bow on my 24 footer. Anchor's are kinda personal preference in my opinion. I keep a pickle bucket at the bow to store it in. I rarely double anchor, but when I do I use a 15# fluke from the aft. Stored in corner seat.
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS

TexasTooner

#7 Post by TexasTooner » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:05 pm

I use what is called a Digger Anchor, which is a fluke anchor. Flukes hold well but if the get hooked on something like a log - they are a b#tch to pull up.

What I like about the Digger is that like a fluke, it digs in, but if it gets snagged, you can pull on it a few hard times and it will release the flukes and pull straight up.

I use two, one on the bow n the other aft.

Best of luck n congratulations on the new boat.
Captain StarLord of the vessel Stargazer
Crest 25’ Tri-toon
Suzuki 175 4-Stroke
F150 Platinum 4x4
Boerne Texas

bansil

#8 Post by bansil » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:54 pm

We use our fluke that is rigged with chain "backwards" with a couple zip ties, so it it gets hooked on timber , i can break zip ties and it flips up and frees itself...so far so good.

My issue is with coves that are 100ft x 100ft and 80 ft deep, i cant let enough chain,rope out to set it, so we tie off to trees and let wind hold us in middle of cove :mrgreen:

Here is anchor mod
anchor.jpg
anchor.jpg (27.19 KiB) Viewed 3846 times
Check out "Dudes" site www.whereisdude.com

Marc K

#9 Post by Marc K » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:08 pm

I really like that idea, Bansil!

Our boat came with a fluke and a mushroom, but we really don't anchor. Our lake is very sandy and heavily wooded, so we sometimes beach and tie off, but generally head back to the boathouse for breaks - and refills - and more ice - and more. BUT, I am going to rig my fluke that way this weekend because we live on a "young" lake with submerged logs/stumps.

I thank you for the great tip.

Marc
Big and ugly but we love our 1999/2000 Crest II DL with a Yamaha F115