Looking for pricing help

Check in here and say hi!

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Cbaka27

Looking for pricing help

#1 Post by Cbaka27 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:46 am

Let me introduce. I am new to the Pontoon world (have rented a few times) but have owned Mastercraft boats in the past. I am married with 4 girls under 9 and two dogs. I really want to get a Pontoon but the used market is not great in my area. I am finding my dealers have not been super helpful when it comes to good info even on the brands they "sell". I live in Utah do have a few boats to look at. My short list of requirements are 10 people minimum but would like to be rated higher. 150 hp and a Fish and Cruise type layout. I found this Tracker but the price feels high for a 2014. It comes with a ton of extras that I would use but I am wondering if the extras justify the price. https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/46146651 I am willing to buy from out of state but am finding a hard time finding good listings.

Aquaelvis

Re: Looking for pricing help

#2 Post by Aquaelvis » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:59 am

Same issues here. (N Idaho) I’ve seen some great deals in Texas. Too far for me but not that bad for you. eBay isn’t bad, they don’t seem to do very well on there in most cases.

I thought this was a good deal;

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3762371679

Steiner

#3 Post by Steiner » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:18 am

WOW. That is practically list price on the same setup in a 2019 model!

It's tough out there as a pontoon buyer if you're in an area with any boating at all. I quit looking used a couple years ago when I found pricing was maybe $1000 off for each year of use. Purchased one new for about $31k OTD. Same boat, same dealer two years later is almost $35k OTD. Just sold it after the Fourth and moved to a tritoon.

I tell everyone that pontoons are chicken wings. Not so long ago, chicken wings were the cheapest part of the chicken. They practically threw them away....I remember seeing wax boxes of them for under twenty cents a pound in the cooler at the Piggly Wiggly. Then buffalo wings came along and got popular, now wings are the most expensive part of the chicken.

BTW, you two live in an AWESOME part of the country. I spent about five months out in SLC on a job site many years ago. Shoulda never left, was too young and stupid to know better. Bought my first motorcycle there and rode 4000 miles in two months. Covered Bryce Canyon to Yellowstone/Tetons and lots in between. Had a cousin that was living in Provo at the time, too...she went to BYU and married a guy from Elk Ridge. They live in GA now which is where I grew up.
2019 G3 SunCatcher V322 SS tritoon, Yamaha F200
2019 F-150 XLT SuperCrew FX4, 3.5L EcoBoost Max Trailer Tow Package

FogHorn

#4 Post by FogHorn » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:12 am

Both those listings would be nice to have and aren’t that far off on price...IF they were Tri-toons. The second listing might be the better deal if all you want to do is fish, but if you want to ski, pull toys, etc. at any speed you’ll do better with a Tri-toon.
Here in Central Texas Tri-toons in the used market are available but they hold their value much more than the pontoon boats. It is a bit of a shock to price a Tri if you are thinking about the stripped-down pontoons that were popular a few years ago ...because the Tri’s are being equipped by Dealers with all the whistles and bells and luxury items that drive the price waay up. A 3-yr old used Tri in clean condition/low-hours only loses about 1/3rd of it’s list price around here.
Now that the end of boating season is in sight those prices will come down a bit. I just bought a barely used, 39=hours, 2015 Tri with all those whistles/bells for half it’s list price. It was sold via the original Dealer who had stored it under cover for the last 3 years...the trailer had never left his dealership on the lake. The only thing I had to consider is the lack of warranty, but I rationalized that 39 hrs tested it out, similar to buying a demonstrator. It’s been a real treat to enjoy.
The only surprise has been it’s fuel-consumption above 20 mph ... The Yamaha F150 burns less than 5 gph below 20 (about 3500 RPM) but if pushed above that speed it rapidly approaches 15 gph, (4500-5500 RPM/30-35 mph) and on a 30 gal. tank that’s only a couple hours before you’d better be at the fuel pump somewhere.
2015 SouthBay 522FRC w/ F150 Yamaha
1983 Conroy X18 w/ Volvo 125 I/O