New boat owner

Check in here and say hi!

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

SteveM

New boat owner

#1 Post by SteveM » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:44 pm

Hi,

I'm Steve and I own a pontoon boat.

This is "Pontoons Anonymous", isn't it? :-)

I'm not just a first-time pontoon owner, but a first-time boat owner. Never actually been much of a water person.

I moved from Connecticut, where a house on the water starts at a million and goes to five million minimum, depending on the town.

Now I'm in Wisconsin, where all new houses are built with three-car garages for your toys and the neighbors won't call the cops on you for parking a boat in your driveway. Everyone owns a pickup truck, because you are either towing your boat, your camper, your snowmobile or your UTV.

I'm fortunate enough to actually live on a lake, so my boat is moored to my dock about 100 feet from the desk where I'm typing this (that's my dock in the picture).

It's a 2014 Misty Harbor 1680FC 16' with a 40hp Yamaha (max for the hull is 40hp). Prior owner didn't use it much as the motor has only 70 hours on it. Got it for about book value, but given the condition and the low hours, I think it was a good value, particularly since I know nothing about marine engines and don't want to get into fixing them. I've rebuilt four car motors, but these are a different animal.

Have only taken it out on the lake a few times so far.

Looking to do some upgrades, like better seats for the front, replace the live well with a bench seat on a cooler (I'm not a fisherman), add a sound system, upgrade the lights to LED's, add an extra gas tank and battery and maybe a trolling motor. I do car detailing, so I want to get it all cleaned up and polish the pontoons.

Steve
Attachments
IMG_20220609_155731.jpg
IMG_20220609_155731.jpg (643.41 KiB) Viewed 12951 times

wiread

Re: New boat owner

#2 Post by wiread » Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:27 am

I'm also in WI, no house on a lake, but we keep it at a marina about 20 minutes away. Get out twice a week all summer long, now that fall is here, try and get out on weekends until end of OCT. Hoping the weather cooperates.

What lake are you on?

Marc K

Re: New boat owner

#3 Post by Marc K » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:08 am

Welcome aboard SteveM! I am on Cedar Creek Lake in Texas.

Marc
Big and ugly but we love our 1999/2000 Crest II DL with a Yamaha F115