Just introducing myself

Check in here and say hi!

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

coreyw20

Just introducing myself

#1 Post by coreyw20 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:33 am

Hey everyone,

My name is Corey and I am so glad I found this forum. I have an older Aloha 24' pontoon. I am in the beginning stages of restoring it and turning it into a combonation recreation boat / dive boat. I have one question to start off with. I have found a quarter size hole in each pontoon that the previous owner tried to just use J.B. weld to patch. This repair is not working. I can weld a patch over them, but I would like some advice on how to lift the boat up off the trailer. I plan on making some stands out of 4x6's and running a 4x6 under the bow and using the trailer jack stand to lower the boat onto the stands. and repeating the process on the stern except using a floor jack instead. My only concern is with this being such a long boat, and I don't want to dent the pontoons. Also what is the best way to get a large dent out of a pontoon? I have one that is not creased and should pop out smoothly. is it best to just drill a hole and use a puller, I have also heard of putting air into the pontoon to pop it.

Again, I'm very glad to join the forum and look forward to getting advice from everyone and hopefully be able to return some as well.

Corey

dockholiday

Re: Just introducing myself

#2 Post by dockholiday » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:47 am

Welcome Corey

I would be hesitant using air pressure to push out a dent. I recently ripped the end cap off on one of my pontoons, when I struck a submerged tree. I was a little surprised, when I saw the wall thickness. Certainly not as thick as I had imagined. Might work but if it didn't, you might get in to some high dollar repairs. Think I would stick to the puller.
Good Luck with your restoration.........
doc