New Guy

Check in here and say hi!

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

mike003

New Guy

#1 Post by mike003 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:28 am

Hi, everyone. After agonizing for a few months over what kind of boat to get, I've decided on a 2009 Misty Harbor Biscayne Bay Fishing Toon. Working with a dealer now. I live in NE Ohio and except for Lake Erie I am 50 or more miles from any waters that are not electric motors only. I'm hoping to dock it at Charles Mill Lake, due to it being the closest(50 miles), and because it has the right fish species for me.(Largemouth, Bluegill, Crappie, Channel & Flathead Cats, Saugeye, and Hybrid Striped Bass). It is a restricted HP lake however, so I will be chugging along with a 9.9. Disadvantage: lack of speed. Advantage: No skiers to disrupt fishing. (Nothing against skiers).
2009 Misty Harbor Biscayne Bay 2085FS
Charles Mill Lake, Ohio

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

Re: New Guy

#2 Post by HandymanHerb » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:03 am

Welcome, so I guess you won't be getting the 28 footer and you won't be taking a 10 horse on Lake Erie, the lake that doesn't give up her dead.

Good thing like you said nobody's going to be jet skiing by you either, nothing like being in a quite fishing hole nobody around and then a jet skier comes running between you and the bank and gets shot, then you have to hope the jet ski and the body flotes out of the fishing area :tofunny :tofunny
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

mike003

#3 Post by mike003 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:39 am

Yeah, I decided against Lake Erie. A lot of the used boats I looked at were 20 years old and would need transom and stringers replaced. Did test ride a 30ft. Wellcraft that already had the work done. Beautiful boat, but not what I really wanted. Since I retired this year, I fish 4-5 times a week. My friend has a 25 footer docked on Erie. He hasn't been out in over a month cuz whenever he had a free day the Lake was angry. I fell in love with that 'toon. Nicely set up for fishing, and I can nap!!!!
Charles Mill Lake, Ohio

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

#4 Post by HandymanHerb » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:15 am

Nothing like a toon for fishing, and I love when you take the kids you can make it fun for them by being able to separate them and able to be right beside them to help them.

My brother said the kids have the pool there not going to get out on the lake, WRONG, we spent the whole day out there drifting and swimming all day.

When it got cold for a week during Thanksgiving I took it over so we could go fishing, I was wrong that time, I didn't bring anything for us to eat , but did have water and cokes, figured we only be there a hour and they be ready to go back home, we left at 10 am and it was dark and the fish were hitting again, they didn't want to go but there Mom called and said where are you all at, still fishing but we heading back.

Got back to shore and the kids ran up to the house while I was putting stuff away and left the toon on the shore, got up there and I said well I seen the kids are eating and my sister-n-law said there on their second plate and I usually have to force them to finish one, I said fishing and fresh air will do that for you.

And like you said it the fishing slows down you can take a nap

mike
Site Owner

#5 Post by mike » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:34 am

Sounds like a nice setup, if your retired you dont need to be anywhere fast so a 9.9 should be fine!! I would love to see pics of what you end up with! I cant wait to retire and fish every day! :nana
1999 Voyager 21' Express Fish triple toon 115hp Mercury (SOLD)
2004 Ford F150 SuperCrew
Boise Idaho

mike003

#6 Post by mike003 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:36 am

Here's the one I'm looking at. Haven't found a reason to not buy it.

Charles Mill Lake, Ohio

mike003

#7 Post by mike003 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:09 am

Whoa!!! The check I was expecting in mid October came today!!!!! Finalizing the deal on the boat Monday!!!!! :nana
Charles Mill Lake, Ohio

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

#8 Post by HandymanHerb » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:11 am

That ain't Whoa, that's GO, good deal can't wait to hear about the first trip and don't forget the Camera

dockholiday

#9 Post by dockholiday » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:47 am

mike wrote:Sounds like a nice setup, if your retired you dont need to be anywhere fast so a 9.9 should be fine!! I would love to see pics of what you end up with! I cant wait to retire and fish every day! :nana
The first three years of my retirement was like your last sentence. Then had to bring my father to live with us, due to age and health. He passed away this year. Now it is my wife's parents, doctor appt, groceries, cleaning their house,refilling prescriptions, and the list goes on. Doing that and taking care of the issues that crop up around our own house will keep two people busy. Just wanted to point out to those looking forward to retirement need to figure the parents into the equation,especially if you live in the same city. The first three years, I spent 5 out of 7 days on the lake, now I am not averaging one day out of the month.
doc

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

#10 Post by HandymanHerb » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:27 am

But your doing the RIGHT thing taking care of family, so you got a big high five from me and your lake time will come back .

Worse if their in another town hours away and you have to travel, I going to Hollywood Fl next week this time to pick up some of my nieghbor's Mom furnture as she has to go in a home so someone can watch her and keep her safe.

But he been diving back and forth for a while now helping out and I think his wife Mom's is about in the same shape but is in town.

mike003

#11 Post by mike003 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:50 pm

Gee Doc, thanks for peeing on my barbecue! Seriously , though, My brother and I both live here and are able to help the parents. My dad did break his hip months ago. My mom is 77 and will probably outlive us all. Now, my wife's mom lives on Kentucky Lake, so if she needs help I may volunteer to move in. I do fish several times a week right now, but alot of it is 2hrs. at a local pond type of stuff. And, since my toon will be docked 50 miles away, I'm sure I won't be out there daily. But, I've been boatless since '82. Nuthin' more pathetic than a guy that USED to have a boat.
Charles Mill Lake, Ohio

Snider4

#12 Post by Snider4 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:23 pm

Hey Mike make sure you check out Clendening Lake it is limited hp and really nice. Many of the lakes in the Muskingum Watershed District are limited. Salt Fork has a huge no wake area for fishing and relaxing.

Not sure how far north you are but welcome to the club!
Snider4
Misty Harbor 2080RE
Merc 50
Sprinter Select 26BH
Ohio

mike003

#13 Post by mike003 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:57 pm

Thanks!!! I'm in Medina County, about 30 miles South of Cleveland. I didn't get a trailer as I can't tow with either of my vehicles. Charles Mill Lake is the closest place with a marina, and I like the fact that it has Hybrid Striped Bass. That's why I got the 9.9hp.
Charles Mill Lake, Ohio

Snider4

#14 Post by Snider4 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:48 am

Muskingum County, I have access to Salt fork, Seneca, and Dillon lake. I bought mine with a 9.9 originally and have upgraded to the 50hp, we wanted to tube and cruise a little faster.
Snider4
Misty Harbor 2080RE
Merc 50
Sprinter Select 26BH
Ohio