Newbie in the midwest

Check in here and say hi!

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Skipper Tim

Newbie in the midwest

#1 Post by Skipper Tim » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:19 pm

Hi all. I recently purchased a '96 19' JC Neptoon with a 48HP Evinrude. The major parts are solid, but it will need re-decking. Carpet, bimini, cover, furniture and possibly the deck depending on what it looks like after the carpet is up. It really doesn't look that difficult to plus there appears to be plenty of hints and help available accross the wide wide net. Maybe too much. I do have a question about carpet. Most suppliers on the internet have 18oz, 20oz, 220z carpet. I went to a local boat house and they only had 16oz or premium 18oz carpet. I asked which is standard? They said the 16oz. Okay, whats with the different weights? What have others used and how well was it to handle? Also, the marine glue. The local boat house says they use the Roberts 6700 glue from Home Depot ($12 per gallon) versus $99 per gallon on line. The add at Home Depot basically says the glue is good for marine applications and any marine type carpet. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks Tim

mike
Site Owner

Re: Newbie in the midwest

#2 Post by mike » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:11 pm

Cant help you with the rebuild as I have yet to do any of that but welcome! I know lots of guys here have and will chip in good advice!
1999 Voyager 21' Express Fish triple toon 115hp Mercury (SOLD)
2004 Ford F150 SuperCrew
Boise Idaho

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

#3 Post by HandymanHerb » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:38 pm

Welcome I say go with vinal and forget the carpet shit, the vinal doesn't get wet, doesn't let the water soak through from the top, but do get a non slip type.

We have one or two more doing the same thing on here and I'm sure they help you out a little .

Lets see the before pictures ,during and the family out on it when you get it finished.
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

curtiscapk

#4 Post by curtiscapk » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:49 am

Can't help on the carpet question, but welcome!!!

what part of midwest??

the more info in you signature will help people out with your ?'s
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS