1ST TIMER

Check in here and say hi!

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

ROLAND

1ST TIMER

#1 Post by ROLAND » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:48 am

Hello boys... have been reading your web site for over a month now but just registered tonight. Got alot of useful info from this site before buying my first boat. Started out looking at bass rigs but because of a previously broken leg ( casting decks were a pain ) and the limited space to take others out with you, we decided to buy a fishing barge... Put my order in 2 weeks ago, Bennington 20 SFi in burgandy...equipped with 75 yamaha 4 stroke and 25" toons.
Was hoping it would be here by now but dealer told me today may be another 2 to 3 weeks before it's delivered. The boat is currently being built at Bennington's plant in Elkhardt, Ind. Don't know one pontoon boat from another so I hope I made a good choice in the Bennington. My son has one and he likes his so I thought that was a pretty good reference. Problem is I never even owned a row boat before this, so I've got a heck of a learning curve ahead of me.. Guess the first thing I'll need to learn is how to back a trailer up...but from what I've seen at local boat launches, I'm not alone. One quick question for you, I live in the south with mild winters.. my toon will have to sit outside in the drive year round. I'll have a cover on it that comes from the factory. Even with the cover, will the boat sitting out all winter hurt it? Apprciate your help as I'm sure once the boat gets here I'll have tons of questions... Got some pics and as soon as I figure out how to get them into this forum I'll post them. Thanks again guys.. hope you all have a great weekend. ( go st. louis cardinals )

Roland
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

wwind3

Re: 1ST TIMER

#2 Post by wwind3 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:14 am

Hi and welcome. bennington is a great choice from what I hear.

Major prob with outside storage down here is the possible effect of the sun on the cover during the summer.

I prefer inside storage---keeps it cleaner but is a little pricey in the Houston area.
2009 LOWE SS204 25in logs
90 Merc Optimax
Motorguide W55 Wireless
Underskinning
28 GPS

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

#3 Post by HandymanHerb » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:20 am

Welcome , you picked a good pontoon, you find backing a pontoon to easier than most boats. but just find you a place to practice and in no time you be a pro.

I can have mine backed in the water and be ready to go while people in a 10 footer are still trying.
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

mike
Site Owner

#4 Post by mike » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:50 am

Welcome and congrats on the new pontoon! :nana

I leave my boat in the side yard all winter here in Idaho and it has been fine. My cover is starting to show some age but I consider the cover a consumable anyway.... Good luck, you are gonna master the tricks in no time!

Just remember, you will make mistakes so just slow down and take a deep breath when you are doing something for the first time with your toon. :thumbsup
1999 Voyager 21' Express Fish triple toon 115hp Mercury (SOLD)
2004 Ford F150 SuperCrew
Boise Idaho

dockholiday

#5 Post by dockholiday » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:53 am

Welcome

I have three trailers, the hardest to back up is the utility trailer for the mower, the easiest is my 24' toon trailer. Seems like the shorter the trailer the less time you have to correct. Storing the toon outside should not be a problem in the south. Get some moth balls to help keep pests out and some damp rid (available at H Depot) to keep down moisture accumulation which could lead to mold build up. Guess the only other thing is make sure the water sheds off the cover well. Water seem to pool near the rear corner over my sundeck, so I use a 5 gallon gas can laid on its side on top of the sundeck, which raises the cover and prevents any pooling of water. Any pooling will stretch the cover and create a divet.

Good Luck and enjoy

doc

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#6 Post by badmoonrising » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:45 am

Welcome !
Ed, Cheryl, Ethan and Aspen.
2013 Sun Tracker Party Barge 22 w/90 HP Mercury, "Hellrhighwater 2"
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

mike003

#7 Post by mike003 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:50 am

Hullo!
2009 Misty Harbor Biscayne Bay 2085FS
Charles Mill Lake, Ohio

mike
Site Owner

#8 Post by mike » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:11 am

Oh, and if it refuses to start one day be sure to check that the safety shutoff cord is attached properly. That has probably bit us all at one point...
2004 Ford F150 SuperCrew
Boise Idaho

Snider4

#9 Post by Snider4 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:35 am

Welcome to the club!

An old trucker told me to keep my steering hand on the bottom of the steering wheel and then if you turn the wheel right the trailer will go right and left for left, it works. The most important thing is to take your time coming and going, never rush or allow yourself to feel rushed in and out.
Snider4
Misty Harbor 2080RE
Merc 50
Sprinter Select 26BH
Ohio

mike
Site Owner

#10 Post by mike » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:21 am

Snider4 wrote:Welcome to the club!

An old trucker told me to keep my steering hand on the bottom of the steering wheel and then if you turn the wheel right the trailer will go right and left for left, it works. The most important thing is to take your time coming and going, never rush or allow yourself to feel rushed in and out.
Great tip! Gonna pass that one down to my son in about 14 years! :nana
2004 Ford F150 SuperCrew
Boise Idaho