Catamaran Cruiser

Check in here and say hi!

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

philly

Catamaran Cruiser

#1 Post by philly » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:12 pm

Does anybody know anything about the Catamaran Cruiser? I saw one at the boat show in Jamestown and 'm seriously thinking about getting one and would like to know what folks have to say about it. I'd like to buy a good used one if anyone has one for sale. I'm in Memphis, TN but I want to put it on one of the lakes in Arkansas. Thanks in advance for the info!!

badmoonrising
Site Admin

Re: Catamaran Cruiser

#2 Post by badmoonrising » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:57 pm

Welcome !

Before Cheryl and I bought the Party Cruiser, we looked at Catamaran Cruisers and Adventurecraft boats. Test drove the Adventurecraft and did a walk around of the Catamaran Cruiser.

Loved all 3 boats, but the Party Cruiser won out because of a few things:

It's ALOT lighter, PC has more cabin space for the same size hull and I'm fond of aluminum boats.

The Catamaran Cruiser is a nice, proven vessel and the company has been around forever. Outboards make maintenance easier and not much winterizing to do.

Fiberglass hull is quieter and better if used in saltwater than aluminum. Like Tracker, they also don't use plywood anywhere.

Loved the interiors, bigger ones have an upper deck helm station. The company is known to stand by it's products and has an excellent customer satisfaction record.

I've seen lots of them for sale on eBay, Salty Dog, Boat Trader Online and Houseboats Buy Terry http://www.houseboatsbuyterry.com/

I've seen several on the Upper Chesapeake Bay over the years as well. Good luck !
Ed, Cheryl, Ethan and Aspen.
2013 Sun Tracker Party Barge 22 w/90 HP Mercury, "Hellrhighwater 2"
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

jim454

#3 Post by jim454 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:24 pm

Geeze Ed you're the last guy I wanna dis but I heard customer service was their week point. Now I'm gonna assume you know more then me about this company Ed but philly look into that.

I hope I didn't piss anyone off, especially you Ed cause you post those great booby pics.
'99 18' Monark Suncaster
50 hp Honda
Canvas Craft Enclosure

The Mighty Mississippi !!

philly

#4 Post by philly » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:03 am

I'm looking at a 14'x46' 1998 model Catamaran Cruiser. I'm looking for more open space inside than a Party Cruiser has. Catamaran Cruiser claims to have boats in 13 countries so there must be something good about them - other than customer service. They're building them in Columbia, TN, now, about 175 miles from where I live, but I still can't see paying that much for a new one - thus the reason I'm looking at a '98 model. Speaking of that, how accurate is NADA in today's market? They show the 1998 Average Retail at $36,345.00 but also state that if the boat is in exceptional condition, it can be worth "significantly" more. I think it is in exceptional condition so how do you determine how much more "significant" is? This will be my first boat so I've got to make sure I buy it right.

Also, who are some reputable houseboat lendors and are they lending any money these days?

mikeherb

#5 Post by mikeherb » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:26 am

It always says a boat can be worth "significantly more" regardless of the boat your search on. Significantly more would be significantly different from the buyer's and seller's perspectives.

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#6 Post by badmoonrising » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:58 am

Jim, the guy I talked to that owned one told me he was satisfied with CC customer service and loved his boat. This was back in 2006 so things may have changed since then.
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#7 Post by badmoonrising » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:02 am

Philly, in this economy it's a buyer's market. Start out by offering well below NADA. Financing is tough these days unless you have substantial and a clean credit history. Even so they may require 20 percent down. Are your intentions to live aboard ?
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

philly

#8 Post by philly » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:32 am

No, I'm not intending on living on it full-time but let's just say alotofthetime.

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#9 Post by badmoonrising » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:08 am

14' X 46' is plenty of space for that :rofl
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD