New to this

Check in here and say hi!

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

pfrogge

New to this

#1 Post by pfrogge » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:45 am

Hi there. I'm happy to have found this site, cause I need it. I have never owned a boat, but I recently inherited a 2007 32' suntracker party cruiser. Previous owner had left it out in his yard for 2 years before I got it, and it had standing water in it for at least 6 months. Interior is trashed, but the motor and bones are good (boat mechanic said it's a miracle engine wasnt frozen, only had to replace a "freeze-plug") The boat has a cabin with shower, etc., and is kind of like a houseboat with a small cabin. I put it in a slip.

So far, I love this boat, and this spring/summer I think my family will too. My trouble is that the owner's manual basically says "Congrats on buying a boat." I dont know the first thing about this dang boat. For example, how does the electrical system work? Do the batteries recharge from the motor? I wonder why there are 2 batteries? Is there anywhere I can go to find out these things, or is this just the boating way?

Looking forward to any responses. Thanks.

captain kurt

Re: New to this

#2 Post by captain kurt » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:09 pm

Welcome..... sounds like a nice set up. You have come to the right spot. you 'll get lots of feed back to follow.You will also find others have asked the same questions. Also key in search to find author or subject and it will bring up all the chat you can suck up on tha subject. It's a great sight. Possably save you a great deal of money and troubles when working on the toon. Ed (Badmoonrising) has a toon like your set up. Walt also has some great info just recently about best batterys and the set up and charging of them. :thumbsup Happy reading. :coffee
2001 Premier
250 R.E Majestic
4.3lt Tri toon
Lake Tahoe, Nv
2001 Dodge 1500 5.9lt

Hey! What's in your Bucket?

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#3 Post by badmoonrising » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:41 pm

Welcome ! I have a 2006 Party Cruiser (Identical to your boat) and love it, they are fun boats. Factory set up is the starter battery is charged by the engine running and the "house" battery is charged only when plugged into shore power or a generator. I added a battery selector switch to mine so I can charge either or both while I'm away from dock or charge them with the generator. Inside the cabinet (under the stove) is a switch to turn the electrical system from shore power to generator power and vice versus.

Battery #1 (closest to the stern) is only for the starter/guages/helm/navigation lights.

Battery # 2 (closest to you standing with the battery box open) is for everything else (cabin lights, courtesy, radio, shower pump, CO detector).

Yeah the owner's manual that comes with pontoon boats is universal and not specific to the model (i.e. useless). There are manuals for almost every sub system though (alcohol/electric stove, air conditioner/heat pump, on board battery charger, stereo system, etc.). The are of different manufacture than the boat is.

Do you have the I/O version ? If so, you were very lucky the block didn't freeze if it was left outside in freezing temps and not winterized. It's a shame someone paid so much for that boat and neglected it :x
Ed, Cheryl, Ethan and Aspen.
2013 Sun Tracker Party Barge 22 w/90 HP Mercury, "Hellrhighwater 2"
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#4 Post by badmoonrising » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:46 pm

The fact that a freeze plug blew out means that the water in the block did freeze at one point. Although the 3.0 is a tough little motor, I'd hook it up to water and run it for awhile to make sure it's not overheating before you venture out in it. Check the engine oil for water often and watch the oil pressure and temp when it's running. Running temp should be about 160, oil pressure around 40. If you have any questions about any of the systems, feel free to ask. I have the manuals for everything.
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

pfrogge

#5 Post by pfrogge » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:55 pm

Thanks bug73 and badmoonrising. BMR, you will probably be sorry you were nice to me, because I will have lots of questions about this boat!! I like this battery switch idea; I need to look into it. I understand so little about this boat I was afraid to plug into shore power til I knew something about it.

It is a shame about the previous owner's neglect. There was so much standing water in the cabin that the laminate on the cabinets is peeling off. Also, that top shelf (above the stove) is hanging all sideways. I will probably have to replace the cabinets with some home-depot type substitutes. The thing is, I have been wanting a boat for a while, but it was hard to convince the wife. One time she said "I want one of those pontoons with a cabin." I replied that there were no such things, and that we needed a houseboat (we have little kids who are pale as this page, so I wanted shade). Now this thing just lands in our lap with no notice, and I think if I can get it cleaned up over the next couple of months she will be thrilled.

Just one more question for now BMR (Mr. Rising?). Is the floor aluminum beneath the carpet? The carpet is covered in algae, and I am thinking a good pressure wash might get alot of it. I guess I would do that whether marine plywood or aluminum, but I hate the idea less if I know I am not pouring even MORE water onto already soaked plywood. I suppose I can replace it if the pressure washer doesnt work.

pfrogge

#6 Post by pfrogge » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:01 pm

Oh, and yeah, according to Mercury, (who I called) I have the 4 cylinder, 3.0 mercruiser 135 with an Alpha stern drive. I backed it into the water when I first got it and ran the motor. Motor casing filled up with water, causing me to take it to a boat shop, who guessed the engine had been frozen. Boat shop (who now has a customer for life) called to say freeze plug was only damage, and said engine looked new. I think the previous owner had less than 100 hours on it.

By the way, it has not been above 50 degrees here (TN) since I put the thing in a slip. I think fate is punishing me.

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#7 Post by badmoonrising » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:16 pm

Yeah you should have an all aluminum Duradeck on the '07. Consider yourself lucky as earlier PCs had plywood decks and Tracker went back to them on the '09 models. Look under it between the pontoons. If you see aluminum, you have Duradeck. A good pressure wash will get rid of the algea. That's sad about the interior but it shouldn't cost a whole lot to replace, most everything is available at Depot or Lowes. If I ever upgrade, I'd copy the '09 or '10 model interior cabinets/countertop, Tracker did a nice job on them.

2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#8 Post by badmoonrising » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:20 pm

We slip ours April-Late November. Also I have the same motor as yours and it's been used (although upgraded over the years ) since the 60s. The 3.0 is bulletproof, efficient and reliable as hell but maintenace is very cramped. Especially that @#$% fuel pump filter...lol.
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

pfrogge

#9 Post by pfrogge » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:26 pm

Thanks for your responses. I tried to attach pix from my iphone, but it didnt work. I am new to this too!

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#10 Post by badmoonrising » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:27 pm

Glad to help :thumbsup
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

pfrogge

#11 Post by pfrogge » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:29 pm

Oh, and sorry about the carport (I searched your posts after bug73 said you have my boat). Seems like homeowners would cover if manufacturer wont. We didnt get near that amount of snow in TN, but we got enough for me.

captain kurt

#12 Post by captain kurt » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:00 am

(I searched your posts after bug73 said you have my boat).
Thats ok..... You can call me bug 73 if you like I wont cry much. But if I ever give you some bad advice. Bug 73 all day long. Ok? :devillol Capin Kurt & Art the dog :donno
2001 Premier
250 R.E Majestic
4.3lt Tri toon
Lake Tahoe, Nv
2001 Dodge 1500 5.9lt

Hey! What's in your Bucket?

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#13 Post by badmoonrising » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:37 am

pfrogge wrote:Oh, and sorry about the carport (I searched your posts after bug73 said you have my boat). Seems like homeowners would cover if manufacturer wont. We didnt get near that amount of snow in TN, but we got enough for me.

Yeah that was another option of Carolina doesn't step up but for now it looks like they will. Besides lawyers that is, lol. :rofl
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

pfrogge

#14 Post by pfrogge » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:48 am

Sorry Captain!!!!!!!!!