The John 6X6 Larson Thread

Check in here and say hi!

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

mike
Site Owner

The John 6X6 Larson Thread

#1 Post by mike » Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:49 pm

Lets hear how about who he was and what he did that made him such a likable guy...

Alright guys (and gals if there are any here)...

bug73 has worked hard to create a very touching John Larson Powerpoint Presentation and
asked me to host it so you all could download it!

here it is...

http://webpages.charter.net/mlrainwater/larsen.pps

if you cant open a powerpoint file, you can download a free microsoft viewer here...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

Thanks again Bug!!
1999 Voyager 21' Express Fish triple toon 115hp Mercury (SOLD)
2004 Ford F150 SuperCrew
Boise Idaho

Toontroller

#2 Post by Toontroller » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:35 am

A Classic sixbysix post. Copied from Harris publishing Pontoon and Deckboat web site. If I remember right the post was starting to get a little argumentative about the removal of dents. 6'ers little post changed the trend.

sixbysix

07/23/2004 08:54:15 PM

Oh boy, Fushion King, I'm glad you're willing to try a new dent puller. Here is my new invention. Go to the hardware store and get an old fashioned rubber toilet plunger. Then stop by the drug store and in the hair section you can find the styling gel. Get the stiff hold kind. Then You're going to need a couple of mattresses, one on top of the other. While in the local drug store also get a quart of Jack Daniels. Now for my secret process.
Put the gel on the toilet plunger.
Push the toilet plunger down on the dent until all the air is out.
Drink the Jack Daniels.
Place your boots on either side of the dent, then pull on the toilet plunger as hard as you can.
Make sure the mattresses are under the dent area.
When you hear a loud POP you will more than likely be zooming through the air.
Hopefully you will land on the mattresses.
If you didn't, You'll thank me for sugjesting the Jack Daniels.
If the dent is still there and the rubber part of the toilet plunger is still stuck there, then the damn handle came out. When you go to the store to get another quart of Jack Daniels, you might just want to pick up a tube of Crazy Glue.
Now glue the handle on, drink the Jack Daniels and try all of the above again.
If it doesn't work, wait another 5 minutes, you really wont care if the damn dent is in there or not!!!
If you need any more technical advice on dent pulling, please feel free to ask. Now that I have explained all of that, I'm completely worn out, and I'm going to have to rest with a cold diet beer!!!
I can see the big sign I'm going to have made. 6x6s dent Pulling Service. Red neon I think. Well speaking of Pulling, I'm off to the Jack Yard!
6x6
1991 Sun Tracker Bass Buggy 16
Evinrude 40

Bet I have the shortest Toon on this board also

mike
Site Owner

#3 Post by mike » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:47 am

Great Post!! I am sure he was one heck of a guy! :lol:
2004 Ford F150 SuperCrew
Boise Idaho

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

#4 Post by HandymanHerb » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:09 am

This was posted by AT1 on the PDB Site.

Hello all, just came in Thursday afternoon from Lake Havasu.

We left San Diego at 6am Tuesday morning, and got to Lake Havasu City at 12:45, after stopping a couple of times for my beagle and my Dad to make pitstops. It is a 300 mile trip. There were 3 generations of Lewis's; me, my Dad, and my son Craig. Just as we were entering the city, 6x6 gave me a call on my cell phone, and told me to hang tight in the shopping center I could see just ahead. 3 minutes later, there he was in his nice diesel F-350 Lariat. We had a nice chat, and he gave us directions to the launch ramp.

45 minutes later we were in the water! We used the expensive ramp ($10) but it was well worth it-no waiting and LOTS of room, easy dock tie-up while I parked the Expedition and the trailer, then we were off exploring the south side of the Lake.

An hour later, 6x6 gave me a call as he was unloading his pontoon into the water. We met up about 6 miles south of the ramp. What a nice guy! Not only was he very hospitable, but I watched him as he hooked up and towed a stranded jet boat 2 miles back to the marina!

All in all, we had a great time on the lake. Got back in about 7pm, then boated the entire next day on the north side of the city, from 9am to 7pm. We put about 100 miles on the pontoon boat in all, I believe, and burned up 26 gallons of 89 octane gas and a half gallon of Evinrude-Ficht Ram oil ($19.99/gal! Ugh!). We all had a great time, no damage, lots of fun. Well, then again Dad and I may have damaged our eyeballs from the glare and the multitude of thong bikinis that were visiting on spring break. Here are a couple of pictures (none of the thongs...sorry)!
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

toonplayer

#5 Post by toonplayer » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:24 pm

Sixer was just one of those special people that you run across very few of in a lifetime. Very few people on the forum actually met him in person, but he made you feel like you had known him forever. He would do anything he could to help folks with info or whatever he could do. His post were classic, he could make you laugh so hard sometimes, and cry others. The picture that is in memory of John is as he should be remembered. A great friend with a smile and a wave for everyone. I still catch myself sometimes saying Sixer would have jumped all over that one. He is missed by a great number of people.

Toonplayer
2005 Crest II RE 115 4stroke Johnson
Lake Hickory NC

Ngataki

#6 Post by Ngataki » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:41 pm

I am new to these forums but did read as many "6x6" posts as possible.

Indeed I enjoyed all his posting and for sure the good things written about John..may be the following poem better demonstrates my impression about John and his legacy..

“Life is only lived in this moment, which is fleeting, constantly changing. If only we’d stop embalming life, freezing it into a view, we’d experience life as it is and at it’s fullest”

Just a reflection.

LAKEDADDY

#7 Post by LAKEDADDY » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:39 pm

Big John had a big heart, He was a great guy, He will live on in our hearts,
What comes to my mine about 6er, We talked about pulling off balls of a moth and putting the little moth balls in our toon when we store it.
I miss Big John,I wish I could have meet him

2toytrucks

#8 Post by 2toytrucks » Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:14 am

I started talking with John in the summer of 03' on the "my pontoon" forum, then found the msn site and then p&db after that. I can still hear his voice, loud and booming, full of cheer, his thundering laugh. His voice was as big as his body, a mountain of a man.

I was one of the lucky ones that got to spend time with John, on his 'toon and at his home with his wife Kathy. John was the type of person that would do anything for anyone, heck he would not even let me buy the beer or pay for gas in his 'toon.

I will forever keep the memories of cruising up the Colorado river with Sixer and his 2 dogs, what a blast. We talked about so many things, everything except politics :wink:.

(full size image) http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/2t ... res699.jpg

(full size image) http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/2t ... res697.jpg

(full size image) http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/2t ... res696.jpg
My wife did not understand why I spent so much time on the computer talking with "strangers" about pontoon boats untill John went into the hospital. At that time I was out of town and she would give me the updates to his condition over the phone. I was home the day John died, my wife saw the tears streaming down my face and realized what Sixer meant to me, and everyone else on the forum.

I think of John often, hopefully he has had a chance to take my son for a pontoon ride. I am sure he did, probably even let him have a sip off of his beer. There is a Kenny Chesney song "french kissing life", which John did, but it is the chorus that gets me every time " drink your ales and hoist your sails, ride the winds and think of me". Vaya Con Dios Sixer.
(full size image) http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/2t ... res701.jpg
John, Jen, Kim
'07 Parti Kraft Admiral
PKA 220-RE 3 gate
115 Yamaha 4s
Elephant Butte lake
"The coiled snake might seem a strange symbol today. But it was and is effective. No American who ever sees it forgets. "Don't Tread On Me"!

Ngataki

#9 Post by Ngataki » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:45 am

bug73,

Very nice "homage" for John.. This has to touch everyone..Pictures, text and music are well chosen. Congratulations for a job well done..

Thanks Mike for sharing this..
Ngataki

Gillgetter 721 Family Cruise
60 HP EFI Bigfoot-scissor jack Genesis trailer

Pop24

#10 Post by Pop24 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:40 pm

Bug73 what a nice tribute. Job well done!!
"My drinking friends have a lake problem"
2006 Bennington 22' TripleToon,Yamaha 150

Rivercamp

#11 Post by Rivercamp » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:57 pm

Bug 73,
You did a wonderful job.
:)
Sorry the rest of us didn't get to know him.

Mrs. Rivercamp
2006 2186 Sweetwater
90 Yamaha 2 stroke
Towed by 2004 Ranger or 99 Ford Explorer

Ohio River - Westport Ky

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

#12 Post by HandymanHerb » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:13 pm

Posted on the MSN site

I knew John Larsen quite well, he was my brother. He is standing next to me in the picture of the helicopter shown in the Dedication that I flew into Carson City back in August 2003.

First off, I want to thank Bug73 for the Dedication he put together and handymanherb for posting it here. I've forwarded the PPS Dedication to all family members today.

I'm not a drinking man but I'll tip a cold beer to Johnny on the 17th of this month in his behalf. Johnny was known to enjoy a cold beer or two daily!

Stay healthy,

Jim Larsen

Pop24

#13 Post by Pop24 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:27 pm

Very nice HH. Thanks for posting that.
"My drinking friends have a lake problem"
2006 Bennington 22' TripleToon,Yamaha 150

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

#14 Post by HandymanHerb » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:30 pm

Your Very Welcome and I told him if he or any of John's family wanted a toon ride , we could find some one who would do it in a heartbeat

mike
Site Owner

#15 Post by mike » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:48 pm

Seems like a nice guy, you should invite him over here!
2004 Ford F150 SuperCrew
Boise Idaho