Hello from Indy

Check in here and say hi!

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

ChappyEight

Hello from Indy

#1 Post by ChappyEight » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:34 am

Hey everyone. My name is Landon (but I go by Chappy) and I live in the suburbs of Indianapolis. Professionally, I'm an architect. Unprofessionally, well that's me typically. I used to race sprint cars around the dirt tracks of Indiana, and the midwest in general. After getting burned, literally, and not having the money to rebuild the car, I gave it up for golf. Now, I'm an avid golfer and try to play a couple times per week.

All that said, my wife and I are finally about ready for a boat. My father purchased a 21' SunTracker w/ a 60hp, 4-stroke Yamaha (it was a rental boat) about 3 summers ago and that was the first boat in our family. I've actually got quite a bit of experience at the helm of many different types of speedboat due to spending time at the lake with old friends/girlfriends, etc. So, I fell in love with the pontoon possibilities. We've got a 1 year-old, one on the way, and two 4 year-old chocolate labs so we really like the idea of having all the room of a pontoon, but enough performance for tubing, skiing, etc.

I've spent an enormous amount of time on internet forums researching different aspects of my life and I stumbled on this great site a couple days ago as I began my toon research. I look forward to scouring the wealth of information hidden in these pages and I know it will be invaluable in assisting me with my first toon (see I even have the lingo down!) purchase.

I intend to purchase in about 18 months or so, and in that time, I'm hoping to become an expert on pontoons. We'll probably be looking for a 24-26' boat with at least 150HP. I'm pretty familiar with all the major brands, but I'm hoping to actually be able to test drive some as opposed to just showing up at the Boat Show and buying something, untested. The front runner in these early stages is a G3 SunChaser for cost/quality ratio.

Sorry for the novel. Thanks for all the great info and I look forward to having my mind blown.

Chappy
Landon & Holly
2012 Premier Solaris-RF 240 w/ PTX
225 Suzuki
Lake Monroe (Indiana)
Architect (professionally), Golfer (poorly), Sim Racer (wannabe)

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

Re: Hello from Indy

#2 Post by HandymanHerb » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:20 am

Welcome, glad you found us and you came to the right place as we have some of the best minds in pontoons, were always ready to help people spend their money, so they get the best deal on a toon and the toys to go with it.
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

mike
Site Owner

#3 Post by mike » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:43 am

Hey Chappy, welcome! I am sure you will be an Expert by the time you are ready to buy... Anyone you buy from should be able to give you a test drive before you give them the check!
1999 Voyager 21' Express Fish triple toon 115hp Mercury (SOLD)
2004 Ford F150 SuperCrew
Boise Idaho

dockholiday

#4 Post by dockholiday » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:41 am

Welcome

If you ever get down to Ga, check out Lake Oconee. Golf courses all over the lake.
doc

ChappyEight

#5 Post by ChappyEight » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:00 am

Thanks guys.

I sure hope I'm an expert Mike. I'm a bit slow though. :drink4
Landon & Holly
2012 Premier Solaris-RF 240 w/ PTX
225 Suzuki
Lake Monroe (Indiana)
Architect (professionally), Golfer (poorly), Sim Racer (wannabe)