motor swap

Check in here and say hi!

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

vstanich

motor swap

#1 Post by vstanich » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:28 pm

1987 harris 24' pontoon. want to install 130 hp johnson 25" shaft.. Any issues with long shaft anyone can think of? Boat has larger pontoons 23" I believe.

hotairgypsy

Re: motor swap

#2 Post by hotairgypsy » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:42 pm

i think if i remember correctly pontoons use the longer shaft.

Bamby

#3 Post by Bamby » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:05 am

The standard shaft length for pontoon boats is 20 inches in most if not all applications. I ran into the 25 inch shaft issue myself when I purchased a brand new Yamaha crate motor on e-bay for a very good price. Anyway to comply with warranty and installation requirements to comply with Yamaha specs. it was necessary to install a jack plate to raise the motor to the required recognized mounting height. In my case the motors oils reservoir would have been submerged preventing the motor from reaching the proper operating temperature.
Motor_Jack_Plate.jpg
Motor_Jack_Plate.jpg (178.6 KiB) Viewed 1729 times
The jack plate was designed to raise the motor the required additional five inches in height. But as you can see I still had to raise and use the lower holes in the actual motors mounting plate to get her within the specs. for warranty requirements. And in reality it actually could still use another inch or two more yet because its still plenty deep. Maybe with your motor you'd be OK but if your ever running any skinny water your prop is going to be excessively deep and vulnerable to potential damage. Maybe theirs also a jack plate in your future.
Respect Our Recreational Resources
Leaving Only "The Footprints of Your Passing"

Boating the Muskingum River
1972 35' Crest Pontoon Houseboat
2007 90 hp. Yamaha

margaritaman

#4 Post by margaritaman » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:16 am

With 23" pontoons you should use a 20" shaft motor.
Cruising the salt waters of East Florida.