Another newbie...:)

Check in here and say hi!

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

stuntchick

Another newbie...:)

#1 Post by stuntchick » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:33 pm

Hi everyone...

I'm new to toons. Live in California. I'm so new to toons that I've never been on one except for at a showroom, lol. I've been in love with them ever since. It's always been up to my husband on what kind of boat we get. We have a 25' Trophy which we use in the ocean more than rivers and lakes. We have that one at a marina.
I've saved up MY money and now it's my turn!! I'm getting my own Pontoon. I "might" let him drive it...while I'm laying out relaxing, lol. Anyway, I hope to meet some nice people on here willing to give some advise to a newbie. :)

Lori

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

Re: Another newbie...:)

#2 Post by HandymanHerb » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:46 pm

Welcome Lori, we love to help people spend their money,
Tell us what how your going to use it, how many people to you want to take and how fast so you want it to go.

Also give us top dollar you willing to spend and we get you in the ball park and you can swing on the one you like.
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

lakerunner
Site Moderator

#3 Post by lakerunner » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:55 pm

Hi Lorie have fun with your shopping
Loyd & Betty Meeks
Livin the lake life
2004 Tracker 22 Regency/2010 90 E-Tec. Pulled by Ford 2020 F 250,
McAlester, Oklahoma
Home lake is Tenkiller

ROLAND

#4 Post by ROLAND » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:38 pm

Hello Lori, welcome to the club... good group here... ohhhhh, boat shopping... gotta love it. I spent nearly 3 months researching, visiting boat dealerships, going to boat shows, I just beat it to death before I decided on what I wanted to get... never told my wife what my choice was.....so one day I laid out a table full of boat brochures and said which one do you think we should get.... I'll be damned if in less than 5 seconds she picked out the boat I spent weeks and weeks researching... guess momma knows best afterall. By the way, what part of California do you live in. Many years ago I lived in Escondido. I still miss it. Good luck with the shopping.
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

stuntchick

#5 Post by stuntchick » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:29 pm

HandymanHerb wrote:Welcome Lori, we love to help people spend their money,
Tell us what how your going to use it, how many people to you want to take and how fast so you want it to go.

Also give us top dollar you willing to spend and we get you in the ball park and you can swing on the one you like.

I'm thinking in the $15-20g but, I have a feeling I'm going to end up with something costing me about 25,000 +

I need something fast enough to where we can tow tubes or skiers. Seating of no less than 12 people. I would love to be able to take it out on the lakes and colorado river, go camping/fishing/scuba.
When you have max capacity on these boats, do they bog at all? Do they feel the weight of the people? Our Trophy with a pretty deep hull holds 10 people but, if we put more than 6 on it, it drags and bogs. We've had 10 people including 2 kids on our boat and it's not a happy boat, lol. Moves pretty slow.

I've been looking at these boats for over 10 years, done quite a bit of research but, I have a lot more to learn. I pretty much know the style I want. I'm going to a Sun Tracker Dealership tomorrow to take a look.
Any words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated. :)

We're going on a boating trip soon so I have to kind of have to find something quick. I want to leave our trophy as an ocean boat so we wont be pulling it out of the water for this trip coming up. I'm taking my toon that I don't have yet, haha.

lakerunner
Site Moderator

#6 Post by lakerunner » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:04 am

For what you want to do you need a min of 24ft, triple log, at least 150hp. Yes all boats bog with a load but the triple will do well
Loyd & Betty Meeks
Livin the lake life
2004 Tracker 22 Regency/2010 90 E-Tec. Pulled by Ford 2020 F 250,
McAlester, Oklahoma
Home lake is Tenkiller

dockholiday

#7 Post by dockholiday » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:38 am

What lake said....if buying new opt for the lifting strakes. Speed for the 150 will be about 40, 175.....45 an 200 knocking on the door of 50.
doc

stuntchick

#8 Post by stuntchick » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:51 pm

ROLAND wrote:Hello Lori, welcome to the club... good group here... ohhhhh, boat shopping... gotta love it. I spent nearly 3 months researching, visiting boat dealerships, going to boat shows, I just beat it to death before I decided on what I wanted to get... never told my wife what my choice was.....so one day I laid out a table full of boat brochures and said which one do you think we should get.... I'll be damned if in less than 5 seconds she picked out the boat I spent weeks and weeks researching... guess momma knows best afterall. By the way, what part of California do you live in. Many years ago I lived in Escondido. I still miss it. Good luck with the shopping.
lol...Sounds like you guys make a good team. Nice to want the same boat :0)

I live in the west end of the San Fernando Valley. Near Chatsworth/Canoga Park area. Escondido is a couple of hours from me.