New Member Question

Check in here and say hi!

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Lowrey

New Member Question

#1 Post by Lowrey » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:55 am

Hello everyone I'm excited to be part of this forum. I'm sure this question has been posed several different ways so I'm not sure where to start. A few years back I picked up a place on a 2,700 acre all sports lake. Before that I had spent some time around boating, watersports, fishing, etc. growing up and over the years, but did not own my own boat until recently. As our first pontoon we picked up a 21 Ft 2004 JC TT Neptoon with a Merc 115 and have been very happy with the overall quality and ride having no problems to this point. We enjoy having large gatherings on the weekends where we do activities ranging from party cruising / floating day and night, sandbar stops, as well as adult and kid water sporting. We would like to take the plunge into a bit larger tritoon both size, length and motor with a few additional needs / likes such as snap in carpet, extended front end deck and an overall accommodating comfort at a great value for what it has to offer. Something for all ages essentially that will be a family keep sake to sit on for years to come. I have general knowledge, but not real extensive regarding tritoon in's and out's. Knowing this is an open ended question does anyone offer up any advice from experience, what to look for or avoid or maybe a good place to start with boat shows in full speed. We are not partial to any manufacturer and understand the online ratings that many manufacturers get year after year such as Bennington as well a Manitou and are their price tags worth the ratings? Thanks so much for your input and consideration!

lakerunner
Site Moderator

Re: New Member Question

#2 Post by lakerunner » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:40 am

Welcome lowery, you came to the right place to get your questions answered. You have a nice rig as JC makes a high quality toon including some very high performance toons, Playcraft is another that breaks records yearly. Last year the hit 100 mph on a pontoon. We have some members with toons like you want so hang on and they will be here soon.
Loyd & Betty Meeks
Livin the lake life
2004 Tracker 22 Regency/2010 90 E-Tec. Pulled by Ford 2020 F 250,
McAlester, Oklahoma
Home lake is Tenkiller

cbavier

#3 Post by cbavier » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:46 am

Welcome aboard Lowery. Like Lakerunner said you came to the right place. It seems that Bennington is the most popular or they post the most? :roll: :donno
Own-It-II

Chuck
24 Ft Aqua Patio Executive Cruiser
50 HP Johnson
06 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
Roscommon, MI

Bamby

#4 Post by Bamby » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:42 pm

You may want to consider this one viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7155&start=0&hilit=boats+for+sale follow the i-boat link for photo's.
Respect Our Recreational Resources
Leaving Only "The Footprints of Your Passing"

Boating the Muskingum River
1972 35' Crest Pontoon Houseboat
2007 90 hp. Yamaha

Lowrey

Snap in Carpet and Outboard Motors

#5 Post by Lowrey » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:19 am

Thanks for your comments, I appreciate it. How do those who who have snap in carpet like it comparitively and is it a good option all around to have from an upkeep, cleaning the pontoon, etc., standpoint. I am also throwing around the idea of a larger outboard and going with a Honda or Yamaha as I currently have a 115 merc have had no issues, however I hear great comments and reviews on the above two. A friend of mine has a Southbay with a Honda 225 and it runs well and fuel consumption seems good. Any thoughts would be welcomed. Thanks.

ROLAND

Re: Snap in Carpet and Outboard Motors

#6 Post by ROLAND » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:45 am

Lowrey wrote:Thanks for your comments, I appreciate it. How do those who who have snap in carpet like it comparitively and is it a good option all around to have from an upkeep, cleaning the pontoon, etc., standpoint. I am also throwing around the idea of a larger outboard and going with a Honda or Yamaha as I currently have a 115 merc have had no issues, however I hear great comments and reviews on the above two. A friend of mine has a Southbay with a Honda 225 and it runs well and fuel consumption seems good. Any thoughts would be welcomed. Thanks.

Well my personal opinion on the snap in carpet is it's a good way to go! Our toon dosn't have carpet, we have the vinyl decking, but we ordered it that way because we use our toon 90 percent of the time for fishing.. you can imagine the crud that would get on carpet with bait, fish,etc. all falling to the floor. My son's toon is all carpet, and it's filthy and he dosn't use his for anything but crusing and hanging out with friends. So personally I would go without carpet but snap in/out carpet gives you both options..... as for the motors, it's my understanding that the honda's are really quiet! Both my son and I have yamaha 4-strokes and so far no issues... I would only suggest to get the largest motor that your boat is rated for! Better to want and not need it then to need and not have it. Just my opinion!
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana