Baitcast reels

Lets talk about all aspects of camping & Fishing... location, gear, tips & tricks, ect... (credit for this section goes to backlash)

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

bug73
Site Moderator

Baitcast reels

#1 Post by bug73 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:32 am

OK..I'm ashamed to say it, I don't have one. I usually use the spinning reels or the spincast (snoopy) reels. I have had 2 baitcast reels before though.

One was a real cheap one that cost like 20 bucks and it found its way to the garbage one day, couldn't learnt to cast it to save my lie. Had a friend that used them all his life and he couldn't even cast that one right. The other one was an old round abu garcia that found its way overboard on a day when the fish started biting like mad and it backlashed on me 3 different times in a row...missed catching fish and spent my time detangling the backlash while my buddy was reeling them in left and right...finally gave up on it the last time, cut the line "dropped" it overboard and put my old zebco 33 rhino back on LOL

I now want to try a nice new baitcaster. What do you guys recommend. I don't want to buy a $150-$200 reel though...something less then $100 bucks for now.

ALSO

Why do the right handed ones have the handle on the right...if I cast with my right hand, I have to switch hands to start reeling in, wouldn't it make more sense to use a left handed one? All my spinner reels have the handle on the left so when I cast I can immediately start to reel the lure or whatever in...they are also reversible in that I can put the handle on the other side if I want...

Shouldn't the left handed ones really be for right handed casters? or does it make a difference?
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward

25 foot Catalina Sailboat

mike
Site Owner

Re: Baitcast reels

#2 Post by mike » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:43 am

Found a good deal at sportsmans warehouse offseason for some abu baitcasters for like $40 that were really nice, just remember to keep your thumb on em when casting!
1999 Voyager 21' Express Fish triple toon 115hp Mercury (SOLD)
2004 Ford F150 SuperCrew
Boise Idaho

bug73
Site Moderator

#3 Post by bug73 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:35 pm

I have not heard of sportsmans warehouse. I have not checked Gander Mountain here yet either...

Yeah I know about the thumb...they also have the new Magnetic braking that is supposed to help with the backlashing.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward

Heatman

#4 Post by Heatman » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:04 pm

I am not an expert but I really like the Abu Garica 5500c3 model. I have an older one and bought a new one a couple years ago. The newer one is much smoother and has a much better handle.

I prefer the larger spools. I think they spin slower and easier to get my fat thumb on the spool.

One thing to try when starting with a baitcaster is try throwing side-arm... like you are trying to cast under a tree. I'm right handed and if I take it across my body to the left (backhand) and then cast I never get a backlash and actually get more distance. Once you get comfortable with that then try casting normally (overhand). The larger the lure the better when trying to learn also.
http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/p ... 006&r=view
2014 Tracker Targa V-18 Combo/ Mercury 150hp 4 stroke
'06 Dodge 1500 QC 4x4 Big Horn Hemi
Sheridan, Indiana

smltooner

#5 Post by smltooner » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:34 pm

I have this combo from Bass Pro Shop.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... 00_100-3-1

Remember that the more bearings, the easier the casting.
SMLTOONER
Ted & Emily
2019 Bennington 21SL Tri-toon
2019 Yamaha 150 HP
Smith Mtn. Lake, Virginia

bug73
Site Moderator

#6 Post by bug73 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:35 pm

Thanks for the info...

I ended up getting this one...

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/p ... 006&r=view

I liked the next one up, it had 10 bearings and was 69 bucks but they where out of the left handed version in both stores I went to...

It feel real smooth and seem to fit my hands real well...I did get the left handed version because I am a right handed caster..I cant figure out how I would feel comfortable with the handle on the right and having to switch hands before starting to reel in...the guy at the store couldnt give me a reason as to why the right handed reels are more popular even for right handed casters...
- William Arthur Ward