big ol perch

Lets talk about all aspects of camping & Fishing... location, gear, tips & tricks, ect... (credit for this section goes to backlash)

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

ROLAND

big ol perch

#1 Post by ROLAND » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:16 pm

Hey guys... put my toon in the shop today to get the motor serviced, but got the bug to go fishing, so me and the wife drove up to a local lake that has one of those long floating docks.. went out to the end and started bream ( brim ) fishing just using nightcrawlers... windy as hell, dock was rocking, water was actually white capping... sat there for three hours without so much as a nibble, all the while my wife had caught 5 or 6 ( mostly small catfish and one itsy bitsy striper bass ).. anyway all i had caught after nearly 4 hours was one tiny little pain in the ass catfish.. was just about to give up and reel it in when I noticed my float ( bobber ) kinda dunked one time... I just happen to catch it right and all of a sudden this big ol fish was slappin the top of the water as I reeled it in... At first the way he was on top the water I thought it was a decent sized bass... but when I got him out of the water it turned out to be a huge white perch.... he was probably close to 2 1/2 lbs... which for me is a good size perch.. don't know how I landed him.. barely hooked his mouth with a small brim hook, and from my understanding and from what some other fishermen on the dock told me, perch are supposed to have paper thin mouths... anyway it was a good ending to a lousy evening of fishing... and there was a little old lady fishing at the other end of the dock and she went nuts when she saw that big perch saying how she wished she could have caught him and how great they taste... boys, I don't like fish ( I know I'm gonna catch hell from you guys on that one ) so before we left I put the perch and the rest of the fish my wife caught in the little ol lady's cooler and then put the cooler in her trunk... I know what she's having for lunch sunday.... wish I had a pic of the fish, but no camera with us... cell phones were in the truck and didn't think about that til we had given the fish away... hate fish.... love to fish....
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

badmoonrising
Site Admin

Re: big ol perch

#2 Post by badmoonrising » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:40 pm

I fish for white and yellow perch alot, both are excellent eating. 2 1/2 lbs is a HUGE white perch.
Ed, Cheryl, Ethan and Aspen.
2013 Sun Tracker Party Barge 22 w/90 HP Mercury, "Hellrhighwater 2"
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

waterlab

Re: big ol perch

#3 Post by waterlab » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:40 am

There are lots of large perch in this lake in the George Washington National Forest
http://www.mapletreeoutdoors.com/images ... index.html