First trip out

Lets talk about all aspects of camping & Fishing... location, gear, tips & tricks, ect... (credit for this section goes to backlash)

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

captainjack

First trip out

#1 Post by captainjack » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:02 am

First trip out all went smooth other than I noticed my power trim cylinder is leaking for the 3rd year in a row. But got the boy into some awesome crappie fishing he got 10 great crappie an a perch. The water temp was already 65. Was a great day! When cooking crappie what do u do while preparing them they taste like nothing?
2008 Playcraft Extreme 2600
2008 300 Mercury Verado
2008 Bear Trailer
Iowa

PlaynDoc

Re: First trip out

#2 Post by PlaynDoc » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:48 am

Kim from FL is the food expert here, but what I'd recommend, is to drink a lot of beer while preparing the fish. Then, it won't matter what it tastes like!
2011 SunChaser DS22
Mercury 115 EFI
13.75 x 15p

Ron Burgundy

#3 Post by Ron Burgundy » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:57 am

My wife likes Tilapia which also tastes like nothing. First fillet 'em, then wash 'em in water, powder 'em with flour, dip 'em in egg, coat 'em with seasoned panko bread crumbs, and pan fry 'em in olive oil. I then make a brown butter balsamic sauce. First you add about 1/2 stick of butter in a sauce pan. Cook on medium heat until the butter turns brown and smells nutty. Then add an equal amount of balsamic vinegar and boil for a few minutes. This is one of my wifes favorite reciepes. Damn, I'm making myslef hungry.
-Ron Burgundy, "Stay Classy San Diego"

2005 Fiesta Fish n' Fun 20' 50HP Yamaha 2 Stroke
Fishing and Cruising Florida's Islands

The cure for anything is saltwater – sweat, tears, or the sea. Isak Dinesen

oldcoot

#4 Post by oldcoot » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:38 am

Cut'em into bite sized pieces...bread them with Andy's Cajun breading...deep fry them in 350degree peanut oil...between each batch of fish...put in some thin sliced potatoes that become bar chips...take out the chips when light brown and sprinkle with Lawery's seasoned salt....
p.s.....the tater chips clean the oil and you can't taste the fish in the chips!! :nana
Jim & Jill
East Peoria, Il.
Illinois River Tooners
2003 Suntracker 24ft Party Barge
90hp Tracker Mercury
2007 Chevy Silverado 5.3 extcab
"the Jillie Marie"

Bamaman

#5 Post by Bamaman » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:22 pm

Salt and pepper boneless crappie filets, dip in egg/milk mixture and throw into a ziplock plastic bag 1/3 full of corn meal and shake good. Then, fry crappie @ 350 degrees in oil--preferably peanut oil. We cook catfish the same way.

Nothing slides down the throat like a boneless crappie filet.

Note: I also have discovered panko crumbs, and often use them for breading just about everything. If you use 1/2 panko crumbs and 1/2 parmesan cheese, it makes a great breading for baking chicken, fish and pork. It's even better than Shake and Bake.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150