How to: Camping, packing, storage and too much stuff !

Lets talk about all aspects of camping & Fishing... location, gear, tips & tricks, ect... (credit for this section goes to backlash)

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

RobRoy

How to: Camping, packing, storage and too much stuff !

#1 Post by RobRoy » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:12 pm

So yes, I'm new. Yes, I searched and read stuff (but only here).

There is only two of us and maybe a small furball.

Duration out is week long at a time. We were thinking a month total out (say at Lake Powell).

So here was the pack list ideas:

- Easy-up
- Beach chairs
- 10 G extra H2O (want to increase OEM H2O tank))
- 10 G extra petrol
- 100 qt. Ice chest
- 36 qt ice chest
- Blow-up bed
- Sleeping bags
- Boat Enclosure
- Fishing gear
- Fold-up table
- Stove top (two-burner)
- BBQ (Propane)
- Clothes
- Phones, iPod, GPS
- 2K Honda Generator
- Kayaks (2) I was trying to think of a way to build stirups on the side of the toons so the yaks are up off the water line while motoring.

I know I'm missing things like solar shower, tools, jacuzzi and emergency equipment. Some of the stuff can be slung off the rails in drybags. Any experience in this lofty and wayward goal would be appreciated.

All input is good. ....except "You're going to need a bigger boat." LOL
2006 24' Sun Tracker w/ Full Enclosure, 75 HP Mercury OB

Texoma Toon

Re: How to: Camping, packing, storage and too much stuff !

#2 Post by Texoma Toon » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:32 am

Lots of extra rope would be good along with two anchors. It gets windy on Powell.

If you are taking a fur ball I would take a pistol as there are lots of coyotes. When I was there we had mountain lion tracks around the tent one morning. You may run into two legged varmints also. :scared :scared just sayin.
2007 G3 LX 22 Fish & Cruise
90 Hp Yammy
Dual Axle Trailer

The proud American will go down into Obama's slavery without a fight, beating his chest and proclaiming to the world how free he really is. The world will only snicker. - Pravda

RobRoy

#3 Post by RobRoy » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:15 pm

Texoma: Noted... Definitely rope and stakes, 5lb. hand-jack. Thanks for the add-on.

Short story: We were on my bud's 54' houseboat at Lake Havasu went to bed after watching a BEAUTIFUL lightning storm on the horizon. I was awoken at 0300 to what sounded like gravel being thrown at the side - It was blowing rain.

I cranked the engines up and was drivin it into the beach where were moored while running around buck-naked trying to re-anchor the 4' stakes back into the anchors in 40-50 MPH winds. The battle was futile with a 25 ton boat. Eventually the wind died and I got it re-anchored. Needless to say that wasn't much fun.

Re Furballs: Like most Aussies, she rarely leaves my side. The two His/Hers P220 (semi-auto 45 ACP) Sig-Sauers go everywhere... My wife keeps reminding me when I "Act up": "Remember, you bought me a gun" LOL

steveiam

#4 Post by steveiam » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:35 pm

Make up your own first aid kit with things you and the wife use at the house when you may need first aid type items.
Baby wipes are great for cleaning up on the boat.

Do a bit of research for the area you will be in and go ahead and program the numbers in your phone or at least familiarize yourselves where the closest (fill in the blank here, hospital, police #, pizza joint and who delivers to the lake, etc.

MUCH easier to search these things for the area you will be in before you get there.
And after reading cwag911's post about his battery, a jump stater is a good idea.
I often wonder if Jimmy really did crack corn, and why should I care?

Texoma Toon

#5 Post by Texoma Toon » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:16 am

Grease gun for your trailer bearings. It is a pretty long trip. Also a spare tire if you don't already have one along with a jack that will lift the trailer/toon. And a correct size lug wrench.

Camera as we expect lots of pics! :rofl
2007 G3 LX 22 Fish & Cruise
90 Hp Yammy
Dual Axle Trailer

The proud American will go down into Obama's slavery without a fight, beating his chest and proclaiming to the world how free he really is. The world will only snicker. - Pravda

BobG

#6 Post by BobG » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:02 am

I'm trying to figure out what you need the generator for?
Maybe I put too much faith in my dual-battery setup.

Bring lots of sun-screen, and the "blue goo" (aloe and lidocaine) for when you miss a spot and get a sunburn anyway.
Wal-Mart has a very good first aid kit for about 8 bucks.
Instead of little propane cylinders, I use a 5 pound bottle I bought at Home Despot. About 8 inches in diameter, and 12 inches tall.
2012 Tahoe 24' Fish-n-Fun Tritoon, with Mercury 115 HP 4-Stroke
"Trine SS Cape" (Trying 2S Cape)
Add a battery: viewtopic.php?t=13546&p=105893#p105893
I'm not a liberal, but I play one on this site.

Bamby

#7 Post by Bamby » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:51 pm

When we've had the time and opportunity to spent some real time on the boat the one thing we always run short on is "Ice". Fortunately in the areas I've boated in ice is available though i may haft to run a bit out of my way to obtain it.. But in looking at Lake Powell it appears any kind of resources very may be impossible to obtain let alone replenishment ice. All I can say is minimize the perishables and I hope you learn to enjoy warm refreshments.
Respect Our Recreational Resources
Leaving Only "The Footprints of Your Passing"

Boating the Muskingum River
1972 35' Crest Pontoon Houseboat
2007 90 hp. Yamaha

PlaynDoc

#8 Post by PlaynDoc » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:52 pm

Consider a portable, 12v ice maker?

Just grabbed an example from Amazon...
http://www.amazon.com/NewAir-AI-100BK-C ... +Ice+Maker
2011 SunChaser DS22
Mercury 115 EFI
13.75 x 15p

RobRoy

#9 Post by RobRoy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:24 pm

Steve: Yes... Definitely. First aid and local emergency contact info. We were even thinking a SPOT system for both dual-sport motorcycling and pontoon adventures. I've been lucky in my recent years, but I was formerlly known as "Stitch" ( which may be the reason why I never felt the need for either body piercing, or tattoos). :biggrin2

Doc/Bamby: Yes... An ice maker. May make trips to shore completely unnecessary. I've backpacked for weeks on end eating fish and granola with dry milk. My wife says, "That's fine, but paybacks are going to cost ya" :roll:

Texo Toon: I have a complete tool set for the truck including a 5T bottle jack and a couple 2X/4Xs. With the tall off-road tires and a lifted truck I've oftentimes had to jack, hold, space and re-jack to get a spare on. Grease gun noted.

Bob: Sunscreen. Yes.. Spent my life on the beach surfing and had basil-cell carcinoma so I go nowhere without the beach sombrero and 40 (plus) SPF.

I put a dual battery/smart battery charger on our Rhino UTV. I realize the normal function is a "Pri/House" switched system. I'll need to do one or the other. The switched system (for a boat application) seems more reliable.

The generator... I dunno. Just seemed like a good idea. I've spent a lot of time on boats, but never my own and never thought about being out in the proverbial bush for two weeks or more, so I'm mostly "brainstorming" and thinking out loud looking for input from y'all until I get some experience under my belt.

THANKS GUYS FOR THE FEEDBACK !

shootandfish1

#10 Post by shootandfish1 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:03 pm

Hey guys, Instead of an ice maker, why not a 12 volt frig/freezer. Going from memory, Engel is/was the go-to brand, I was reading about them at the 'expedition portal forum'. My understanding is that Engel uses a super efficient compressor (Danfoss?). Add a 'true' deep-cycle battery (golf-cart) and a charger and one should be 'golden'. Your going to have a generator, right? Hard-top pontoons might be able to mount a solar panel.

Paublo

#11 Post by Paublo » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:30 pm

You never mentioned a port-a-potty. You will get an expensive ticket if caught on Lake Powell with camping gear and no potty. I would take more spare gasoline. You can easily be 60+ miles from a place to get gas. Get a good (detailed) map of the lake- it has more miles of shore line than the west coast of the US. And be sure to have a camera to catch some of the most beautiful sights that you will ever see.
1998 Playcraft 2400 Sport
4.3L I/O
2009 Nautique SAN 210
5.7L 343HP
'04 Chev 2500HD D/A 4x4
'12 Toyota Sequoia 4x4

BobG

#12 Post by BobG » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:56 pm

Paublo wrote:You never mentioned a port-a-potty. You will get an expensive ticket if caught on Lake Powell with camping gear and no potty.
OH! And if you're on Powell, "Friends" - those cam-lock things that climbers use. Why? To tie-off in a crack in a cliff wall, when you're in a sheer canyon, and in 150 feet of water.

http://www.abc-of-rockclimbing.com/info ... atures.asp
2012 Tahoe 24' Fish-n-Fun Tritoon, with Mercury 115 HP 4-Stroke
"Trine SS Cape" (Trying 2S Cape)
Add a battery: viewtopic.php?t=13546&p=105893#p105893
I'm not a liberal, but I play one on this site.

Bamaman

#13 Post by Bamaman » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:52 pm

When we go camping, I just take tools. I'm always having to work on things like my hot water heater. We stop at WalMart closeby our campground to pickup the picnic supplies.

I no longer take my 12 volt drink cooler because the bears got it (and half my food) last Summer. I had to buy a new 4 cubic ft. refrigerator to keep inside the camper. I just wish the campground would get a couple of hunting dogs to keep the bears away--or even a good wienie dog.

Oh, yea: I have to bring my 19" flat screen television. No use having Cablevision if we don't take the television to watch it on.

And the washing detergent. Nothing worse than leaving queen size bed sheets dirty as we leave the campgrounds. It's nice to have a washer and dryer in the camper to wash all the towels.

I always forget the tennis rackets and balls. I hate having to borrow a racket.

Maybe this Summer we'll take the Bennington with us. Lake Burton's just 8 or 10 miles away. Maybe we'll see Coach Nick Saban up there at his 10,000 square foot, $10.5 million lake house.

North Georgia Mountains look just like the Smokey Mountains--but without all the go cart tracks, putt putt golf and factory outlets. It's a nice, quiet place to hang out.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150