Camping on Lake of the Woods

Lets talk about all aspects of camping & Fishing... location, gear, tips & tricks, ect... (credit for this section goes to backlash)

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

monksblood

Camping on Lake of the Woods

#1 Post by monksblood » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:52 pm

Hi All, me and the wife are looking at camping for a couple weeks on the lake. We have never been on this lake other than when we looked at it from the shore in town while passing through. We are probably going to leave our truck and trailer at Kenora. Any good places to leave our rig? I was wondering what kind of water and weather conditions we can expect for the 1st 3 weeks in August. I am planning to stay on the lee side of an island for the night with a 50ft anchor rope and 5 - 10 ft chain rode. I hope that a Danforth anchor will suffice. Is there a list of marinas with fuel available? Would a portable VHS radio with the weather channel be handy? I am planning on getting the Garmin inland lakes map for the area (backup) and I am using a Lowrance GPS/Fishfinder with topomaps for my main unit. Any parts of the lake we should avoid? Any hints from experience on this lake would be appreciated
21 ft Sweetwater with a 90 E-tec, looking a bit beat up

captainjack

Re: Camping on Lake of the Woods

#2 Post by captainjack » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:29 am

I would check with the forum walleye central.com if you can't find the info your looking for here a lot of the guys over there could be very helpful to u. Just don't mention the toon they get kind of tight lipped if your not in a Lund. :biggrin2
2008 Playcraft Extreme 2600
2008 300 Mercury Verado
2008 Bear Trailer
Iowa

tuned

#3 Post by tuned » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:24 am

Hey monksblood !
I happen to live right down the road (about and hour) from the big lake on the US side. I've been out fishing a few times on it but only on the US side (usually on the ice). I can't give you too much advice on the Canadian side, sorry.
Took a party cruise once in Kenora. That area has a ton of islands and is very beautiful. I would reccomend staying in that area depending on your boat size as the main lake is IMMENSE. The open water is almost like ocean-going and the waves can come up quickly. The islands should offer you protection.
If you are fishing, you are likely in for a treat, as LOW is one of the premiere walleye hatcheries in the country! Have fun.
ToddBob
'Al the Mirthmaker' (The Third)
Build-- viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14007
Rainy Lake/Voyageurs National Park
International Falls, MN

monksblood

#4 Post by monksblood » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:22 pm

Fishing is definitely part of the plan. I have not really studied any charts yet but the wide open water is something that I will try to avoid. We lost our front gate panel in some big waves a few years back at Lac Laronge and that was not in the big open area
21 ft Sweetwater with a 90 E-tec, looking a bit beat up