Buying A Fishing and Camping Pontoon

Lets talk about all aspects of camping & Fishing... location, gear, tips & tricks, ect... (credit for this section goes to backlash)

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

mike37909

Buying A Fishing and Camping Pontoon

#1 Post by mike37909 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:58 pm

Hi all,
I am new to Pontoon boats and to this forum. I was hoping to get some advice from you experienced toon guys and gals. I am wanting to buy a pontoon for mostly fishing. I plan on putting downriggers and maybe an enclosure at some point. If I can get good enough I would like to try being a guide. I will be fishing Norris Lake in East Tennessee. I would like to be able to do the occasional overnight trip with the wife and 2 daughters (3 and 10). I can't believe how many different brands of boats there are. I was wanting a pontoon with good rod lockers and seats that turn into a bed. I know the older crest super fisher had these features, but not the new ones. I will keep the pontoon on an uncovered slip so I need to cover it. I was thinking of getting a enclosure for the middle and individual covers for the 4 corner seats and a vinyl floor. I also need upgraded fishfinder and gps. I plan on doing a lot of trolling and the option of trolling around 1.8 mph with the main motor would be nice. Comments please.

Can anyone recommend:
Trolling Motor (12V or 24V) I like the autopilot concept
Pontoon Make and Model
motor and horsepower
anything I am forgetting?

Thanks
Mike

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

Re: Buying A Fishing and Camping Pontoon

#2 Post by HandymanHerb » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:22 pm

I wouldn't guess as I haven't looked at new one's , but you want a 24 foot or bigger to give you the sleeping room and you might want to go triple toon for the stable ride.

24 v trolling motor remote and even better with the auto pilot so then you can have it hold you in place or run a line back and forth over a hole where there hitting.

The engine I say e-tec how big depends on your wallet, it's lighter than the four strokes and your not changing oil even when your not using it and no maintenance for 3 years on a new one and no break in.

You can get the camping enclosures on all of them but I let some of the guys with them tell you the pro's and con's on them.
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

mike
Site Owner

Re: Buying A Fishing and Camping Pontoon

#3 Post by mike » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:47 pm

Good choice on the toon... Plenty of room to camp/fish/guide on! How big a motor you get will depend on how fast you need to get somewhere and how much gas you want to burn getting there!

I can only speak for the toon I own, its a voyager and its a solid, well built model... Best bet is to go find a local dealer and see what you can get, most companies make fishing specific models with livewells and corner fishing seats!

Welcome to the site!
1999 Voyager 21' Express Fish triple toon 115hp Mercury (SOLD)
2004 Ford F150 SuperCrew
Boise Idaho