More Frustrating Than Golf!

Lets talk about all aspects of camping & Fishing... location, gear, tips & tricks, ect... (credit for this section goes to backlash)

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

bassn386

Re: More Frustrating Than Golf!

#16 Post by bassn386 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:31 pm

I always reply when asked: The fishing is always great, sometimes the catching leaves a little bit to be desired." I only do catch & release for bass, so if I don't get anything it's no big deal. My philosophy when fishing is that I expect nothing and therefore I'm never disappointed when that happens.
I entered one tournament 16 year ago when I got my first bass boat. In 8 hours we caught one little white bass (foul-hooked at that). That was my epiphany and I've never been tempted to enter another tournament.
2011 Bennington 2575RCW w/ ESP
F225 Yamaha

SoCalAngler

#17 Post by SoCalAngler » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:36 pm

HandymanHerb wrote:I thought the ideal was to get away from the wife, drink beer, smoke cigars and lie, the rest is just bonus
:lol3 :lol3 :lol3
2003 Ford F-350 Super Duty, XLT, V10, 4X2, Crew Cab, Short Bed...tow vehicle
2017 Alumacraft V16; 2017 Yamaha F25; 2017 Karavan Trailer
2011 Keystone Outback 250RS

bobalong

#18 Post by bobalong » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:43 pm

I fished walleye tournaments for over 20 years and three years ago when we bought a Pontoon boat, I only started fishing one tournament a year. Been having so much fun on the Pontoon with family and friends that I will be quitting the tournaments all together this year. Still lots of ice left around here, but sure looking forward to getting onto the open water again.
Gotta admit though, not blasting off on opening morning in the first tournament is going to seem a little weird.
2011 Sweetwater 206F Sunrise
2011 60 HP Evinrude Etec
Humminbird 798SiHd
Boating on Moose, Pigeon, Lac St. Anne and Sask Landing

OK Toon

#19 Post by OK Toon » Fri May 16, 2014 1:42 pm

Neither the Admiral or I will allow any fishing on the pontoon -- that's what we have a dock for. I also put cedar trees hanging from ropes on the poles in one of the slips for structures for the crappie to hide in. I enjoy fishing for crappie -- no stress. I put a few minnows on the hooks, drop the line down around 8', set the poles on the dock, pick up my beer and enjoy. When I see a line running with a fish, I set down my beer and grab the rod to set the hook. When the fishing is really going good, I put a piece of 6" PVC down into the fish basket and strap it to a post. That way I don't even have to pick up the basket to put the fish in -- I just let them slide down the "chute" into the basket. Fishing should be fun, not stressful. If they aren't biting, I go find something else to do.
Kim and Steve
2003 Lowe Suncruiser Trinidad 222
2003 Yamaha 90hp 4-stroke
2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7
Spend most of our time on Lake Eufaula

Hawk_308

#20 Post by Hawk_308 » Fri May 16, 2014 8:27 pm

No fishing on the toon , Blasphemy !!!!!

:lol3
1988 24' Party Barge pushed by a 75hp cmc trim 17p 4 blade prop

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#21 Post by badmoonrising » Wed May 21, 2014 10:29 am

Hawk_308 wrote:No fishing on the toon , Blasphemy !!!!!

Yep :thumbsup
Ed, Cheryl, Ethan and Aspen.
2013 Sun Tracker Party Barge 22 w/90 HP Mercury, "Hellrhighwater 2"
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

OK Toon

#22 Post by OK Toon » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:10 pm

The first person that got fish guts or blood on the carpet on the toon, would never hear the end of it from the Admiral. And no, we aren't pulling out the carpet so don't even go there. :biggrin2

We bought the toon for booze cruises, not for fishing. :drink :drink2
Kim and Steve
2003 Lowe Suncruiser Trinidad 222
2003 Yamaha 90hp 4-stroke
2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7
Spend most of our time on Lake Eufaula

C_M_25

#23 Post by C_M_25 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:13 pm

We fish from the toon, but we haven't had much luck this year. I actually pulled in my first bass on it last weekend, and 4 more followed. Fishing has been slow since. Ours is a cruise model but has a nice bit of deck off the front to cast from, a side gate, and you can set on the rear sun bed and cast off of that. Things have been going well except the past two times I've taken friends out, they hooked the vinyl. I about wanted to kill them; especially the guy who sunk two hooks off of a treble hook into the side of a seat. Luckily, we got the hooks out leaving behind only a tiny little puncture that I will patch up soon.

What really irked me was when a guy was trying to put chicken liver on his hook and was dripping on the carpet (that guy just doesn't think about things), and I actually gave him crap about that one.

The way I see it, I can be a jerk about these things, but then the buddies won't come out anymore. Or, I can laugh them off, make small repairs, and just have a good time out there. Of course, they aren't short of apologies when they hooked the seats :) AND, the truly problematic friends just don't get invited that often ;)
2014 Sweetwater 2086SW
90 Hp Yamaha 4-stroke

RcgTexas

#24 Post by RcgTexas » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:58 pm

REPETE wrote:So after fishing with minnows for two days without any luck one of us tried leeches. ...and he caught a walleye on the first cast. I put on a leech, another walleye on my first cast. I go to put another on and it's the last one... yep - another walleye... but now we're out of leeches! So we go right to the bait shop and buy 2 dozen leeches. Get back on the lake within 30 minutes...not another fish boated on leeches for two days! :x Somebody remind me why we do this...? :lol3
This is an old thread but I get the point. It does drive you nuts to go after more leeches only to find they don't want leeches now. I have been there and done similar things. One never knows.

I haven't got the bait well going on the rebuild yet and last weekend took off with a minnow bucket overboard. :censored Had exactly three minnows of 3 dozen left when I realized the brain fart. Caught three white perch(crappie) that day. :donno
1995 beachcomber conversion to tritoon with Honda 135 ,

Link to rebuild [url=http://www.pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19016][Knot Normal][/url]

God Bless America

playcat

#25 Post by playcat » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:48 pm

badmoonrising wrote:
Hawk_308 wrote:No fishing on the toon , Blasphemy !!!!!

Yep :thumbsup
Fishing is a boat's reason for existence. All that beer,broads and other stuff is just fluff.
Then again, maybe that is why my boat smells like old bait - the wife said its not the boat, just me that smells.
playcat
Boatless for now
Never another I/O
Kerr Reservoir, VA

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#26 Post by badmoonrising » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:09 am

Yeah when I fish in the main part of the Chesapeake (salty water) I take every bait imaginable. Some years the fish love squid, some years it's shrimp. A couple of years ago, everything was biting on chicken strips, especially bluefish and croaker. I bring every kind of cut bait every trip just in case. RARELY get skunked. If the fish aren't biting, change the bait.
Ed, Cheryl, Ethan and Aspen.
2013 Sun Tracker Party Barge 22 w/90 HP Mercury, "Hellrhighwater 2"
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

REPETE

#27 Post by REPETE » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:33 am

badmoonrising wrote:Yeah when I fish in the main part of the Chesapeake (salty water) I take every bait imaginable. Some years the fish love squid, some years it's shrimp. A couple of years ago, everything was biting on chicken strips, especially bluefish and croaker. I bring every kind of cut bait every trip just in case. RARELY get skunked. If the fish aren't biting, change the bait.
I agree. My brother will watch me catch 20 fish to his zero and not switch baits or lures. I just don't get that in people.

It's been a very very odd summer of fishing for me. To start the summer we got tons of very nice fat/long walleye damn near every time out! It was almost like fishing Canada. Since that time, it's been nothing but very small fish!!!!! I've gotten like 2 walleye that were even in the same class as the AVEREAGE size fish from earlier in the summer!
Just verified it on Snopes. Liberals are complete mouth breathing idiots.

I shanked my lover because hoes kept stealing my taco's.

abypfcs

#28 Post by abypfcs » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:56 pm

REPETE wrote:
Ron Burgundy wrote:Once upon a time fishing was a leisure activity for me. Now it's lodged in the competitive portion of my brain. I get pretty damn pissed if I don't catch anything. One beer fixes my mood though.

I'm not like that Ron. In fact I just had that debate with my brother. He commented to me how he felt embarrassed last week when two guys fishing close to us were catching fish and we weren't. Then we started catching a bunch and they didn't and my brother goes "Whew, glad we're catching fish because that was brutal watching them. My testosterone was not handling that". ...and he went on and on about it.

I gotta tell ya...that's exactly whey I don't fish tournaments. I can't stand dealing with guys that are more driven by catching more (and bigger) fish than the next guy as if their entire existance depends on it!
I played some competitive golf for a few years and for me fishing is a stress relief. Whether I catch anything is almost a non-factor. In fact, I used to have a deck boat that I named "No Bogeys".
No Bogies.jpg
No Bogies.jpg (1.34 MiB) Viewed 15182 times
[i][size=85]2014 Bennington 18SFX
Yamaha T60LB
Minn Kota I-pilot 55lb 54"
Lowrance HDS 7
Power Pole Blade
Wash Down System[/size][/i]

ron nh

#29 Post by ron nh » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:39 pm

I've never been much for fishing even though I've had bass boats," just like em". I'd always bring my friends out and I'd just bird watch and take in nature. recently though I've been trying for salmon last few years, bass fishing board the shit out of me. to easy and not good to eat. my kids love to fish so I got the fish cruise model but I'm all ready threatening the first prick to hook my seat will be shot! It's stressing me out and I haven't got the boat yet.
2015 Qwest LS 818XRE Tri-toon w/mercury 115.

PlaynDoc

#30 Post by PlaynDoc » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:35 pm

the majority of my fishing goes like this....

3 poles... starboard, port, and stern... 6" lures.... one shallow, one medium, one deep.... let out all the line... troll about 2.5mph.... crack open an adult beverage... turn on some classic rock.... watch the poles.....
2011 SunChaser DS22
Mercury 115 EFI
13.75 x 15p