Humminbird Matrix 17 questions

Lets talk about all aspects of camping & Fishing... location, gear, tips & tricks, ect... (credit for this section goes to backlash)

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

katoom

Humminbird Matrix 17 questions

#1 Post by katoom » Tue May 16, 2017 1:48 pm

Hello,

I've been trying to delve into the understanding of how my depth/fish finder works.....and I think I've come to the conclusion that there's so much to know that community colleges should offer 101 classes just on this subject.

I've been trying to figure how most of what my HB Matrix 17 can do and how to do it, but sadly the manual is terribly vague and trying to contact Humminbird directly failed to provide me anything. I was actually surprised about that too since most companies are happy to help with their products. But what I got instead was someone quick to tell me that my "outdated" unit was not serviceable and wasnt supported anymore. That was all before they even heard what I was calling about.....

So since I got nowhere with HB, can I ask here and see if anyone can help?

My simply (I thought) questions are:
1) Whats the difference between 200Hz and 85Hz and is it something which I can use, or is it too complicated for anyone but the ultra serious fisherman?
2) Sitting on the trailer the depth recognized is 9ft but the transponder is only 2ft off the ground. Yes the transponder is not broke, clean, and facing downward. So that said, I found a shallow depth offset on the unit whereby I entered a -7ft and it now says 2ft.....but is this the wrong way? Will it now read inaccurate or accurate in the water? Is there a difference if its in the water??? Again, I'm not sure what all these settings are so maybe this is not what the depth offset is for.
3) I have more questions about sensitivity and water clarity settings, but I'll let those go for the moment as I'm more concerned with it at least telling me how shallow the water is. I care more about the potential damage from shallow objects/ground rather than how many fish are down there. :)

Thank you.

katoom

Re: Humminbird Matrix 17 questions

#2 Post by katoom » Fri May 19, 2017 5:10 pm

Nevermind..... I found my answers. :)

DPMS308

#3 Post by DPMS308 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:53 pm

I have some questions too. Where did you find your answers?

bansil

#4 Post by bansil » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:01 pm

go to youtube and search for your model videos, everyone is doing their 15 min of fame so every how to is watchable :biggrin2

eta...maybe I fibbed :donno there are similar models to watch that may help
Check out "Dudes" site www.whereisdude.com