set the hook hard ----ouch !!

Lets talk about all aspects of camping & Fishing... location, gear, tips & tricks, ect... (credit for this section goes to backlash)

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

GregD

set the hook hard ----ouch !!

#1 Post by GregD » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:12 am

I'm sure more than a few fisherman can relate to this problem ----LOL

http://www.louisianasportsman.com/forum ... ures183671
1989 Sun Tracker 24' Party Barge 1997 Honda 90
17' LakeSport w/ Yamaha F60

Many men fish all their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after" Thoreau

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

Re: set the hook hard ----ouch !!

#2 Post by HandymanHerb » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:32 am

In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

Snider4

#3 Post by Snider4 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:54 pm

Did to line just rip the hook out or what?
Snider4
Misty Harbor 2080RE
Merc 50
Sprinter Select 26BH
Ohio

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

#4 Post by HandymanHerb » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:06 pm

yep pulling in straight out and fast works it seems

mikeherb

#5 Post by mikeherb » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:50 pm

Wow. I would have been hitting that whiskey a hell of lot harder.

mike003

#6 Post by mike003 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:15 pm

I remember when that technique was introduced. Apparently it's important to hold the eye of the hook down tight and yank hard and fast. Apparently the line slides and pulls on the hook bend just right to pop it out exactly the way it went in. Supposed to be painless, but fortunately I've never had to find out.
2009 Misty Harbor Biscayne Bay 2085FS
Charles Mill Lake, Ohio

Heatman

#7 Post by Heatman » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:59 am

Several years ago I was wading a river fishing for Smallmouth Bass. I went to set the hook and the floating Rapala crankbait I was using came flying back at me. I ended up burying a hook into my upper chest. I couldn't get it out at the time so I cut the line and kept fishing.

When I got home I ended up pushing the hook on thru the skin until the barb came thru, cut the barb off with some side-cut pliers and then pulled it back out the same way it went in.

My girlfriend at the time/ now wife about flipped out when I came walking in the house with a crankbait hanging from my chest!
2014 Tracker Targa V-18 Combo/ Mercury 150hp 4 stroke
'06 Dodge 1500 QC 4x4 Big Horn Hemi
Sheridan, Indiana

mike003

#8 Post by mike003 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:15 am

The important thing is that you kept fishing.
2009 Misty Harbor Biscayne Bay 2085FS
Charles Mill Lake, Ohio

REPETE

#9 Post by REPETE » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:30 am

mike003 wrote:The important thing is that you kept fishing.
:rofl Exactly

Every time out fishing and with every fish I boat I tell myself that "today is not the day I bury a hook in my hand". That's kind of a fear of mine. I'm talking larger hooks...I have had many small hooks go into my fingers and hands when bass or walleye fishing. A guy I know says he hand lands everything he catches. THAT'S crazy. There is NO WAY anyone won't eventually end up with a buried hook trying to hand land a trophy musky or pike...or large fish like that.

Our dog got a rapalla buried in her paw last summer. I tried like hell but couldn't pop it out and it was too deep and straight to turn it and force the barb thru.
Just verified it on Snopes. Liberals are complete mouth breathing idiots.

I shanked my lover because hoes kept stealing my taco's.

mike
Site Owner

#10 Post by mike » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:35 am

Growing up in Alaska we used an ounce or two of lead weight with a fly to catch silver salmon in the kenai river, you always were getting snagged up on the bottom and the local hospital would keep count of how many people they had to stitch up from having a sinker bounce off their face or head from pulling on a snag too hard... NOT Fun...
1999 Voyager 21' Express Fish triple toon 115hp Mercury (SOLD)
2004 Ford F150 SuperCrew
Boise Idaho

REPETE

#11 Post by REPETE » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:14 am

mike wrote:Growing up in Alaska we used an ounce or two of lead weight with a fly to catch silver salmon in the kenai river, you always were getting snagged up on the bottom and the local hospital would keep count of how many people they had to stitch up from having a sinker bounce off their face or head from pulling on a snag too hard... NOT Fun...

:lol3 It should only take one time to learn that you don't pull a snagged line with your head in the line of fire. :lol3

mike
Site Owner

#12 Post by mike » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:42 am

REPETE wrote:
mike wrote:Growing up in Alaska we used an ounce or two of lead weight with a fly to catch silver salmon in the kenai river, you always were getting snagged up on the bottom and the local hospital would keep count of how many people they had to stitch up from having a sinker bounce off their face or head from pulling on a snag too hard... NOT Fun...

:lol3 It should only take one time to learn that you don't pull a snagged line with your head in the line of fire. :lol3
Most of the time the people getting hurt were either really drunk or tourists... :happy
1999 Voyager 21' Express Fish triple toon 115hp Mercury (SOLD)
2004 Ford F150 SuperCrew
Boise Idaho

exospex

#13 Post by exospex » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:28 pm

Last year I had my dog get a face full of trebble hooks. Seems he was after the peanut butter sandwich wrapper I had left in the caddy that I hand the lures in cue for that day. That poor animal was a basket case. He was writhing around on the deck of my boat like a dog posessed. I finally got him pinned down to the deck after he bit the shit out of my hand because he was so scared. He had two trebble points buried in his cheek, then got another in his front leg trying to paw at his face. I was able to work all three points through and cut off the barbs. What a mess. I was covered in blood from elbow to elbow, his and mine. I think both of us learned from that mistake. He won't go near peanut butter anymore either.
Matt & Kerrie
----2004 Aqua Patio 240RE----Cross Lake-Western NY
Onion Creek Farms----Rubs, sauces and spices----"Eat well, laugh, and enjoy life"

REPETE

#14 Post by REPETE » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:22 am

exospex wrote:Last year I had my dog get a face full of trebble hooks. Seems he was after the peanut butter sandwich wrapper I had left in the caddy that I hand the lures in cue for that day. That poor animal was a basket case. He was writhing around on the deck of my boat like a dog posessed. I finally got him pinned down to the deck after he bit the shit out of my hand because he was so scared. He had two trebble points buried in his cheek, then got another in his front leg trying to paw at his face. I was able to work all three points through and cut off the barbs. What a mess. I was covered in blood from elbow to elbow, his and mine. I think both of us learned from that mistake. He won't go near peanut butter anymore either.
Also gotta keep a good wire cutters handy. When my dog hooked her paw and her mouth with the same lure...it took me less than a minute to at least get the lure free...I cut the hooks from the lure so it at least didn't get any worse. I keep the cutters handy.

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

#15 Post by HandymanHerb » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:21 am

Got to keep your lesbian's with you, oh that's the political correct term, sounds better than dyke's.
ImageImageImage