Hey Sundeckbentley!

Lets talk about all aspects of camping & Fishing... location, gear, tips & tricks, ect... (credit for this section goes to backlash)

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Snider4

Hey Sundeckbentley!

#1 Post by Snider4 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:12 am

We are starting to plan some trips this summer and Summersville Lake came up! Can you give me any info on campgrounds to look at, we would be camping and boating for at least 4 days. I've been looking at pictures on the internet and WOW your lake looks great.

After you dig yourself out of course,,,,,,,,,,,,,, stay warm!
Snider4
Misty Harbor 2080RE
Merc 50
Sprinter Select 26BH
Ohio

mikeherb

Re: Hey Sundeckbentley!

#2 Post by mikeherb » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:51 am

We're pretty dug out now. Power came back up at midnight last night.

You have two options for camping on the lake. One is a private campground and the other is a state park.

The state park is called Battle Run and you can look it up on the internet. The sites are typical state park size ("honey did you say something?, no that was the folks next door") but it is across the channel from the beach and picnic area. Beaching your boat is easy and can be done at all of the waterfront sites. The sites closest to the gate in the first two sections are close to the water level and an easy walk to your boat. The sites out on the end have a better view but you have to walk down a pretty steep hill to get to your boat. There is no store or anything other than the beach here. You can look these guys up at WV state park site and book online. If you decide to stay here book it now. This place fills up fast as it's a trailering boaters dream to have their boat 3 steps from the camper and head out on the lake.

The second choice and the one I would recommend is Mountain Lakes Campground. They just added Area 4 to their park and it is waterfront. It is near the marina so you have the choice of beaching your boat at the campground or renting a slip at the marina if you want. There are some things to consider in this campground. They built a rock retaining wall that you have go walk down to get to your boat. My Dad walks with a cane but we got him down it just fine with some help. It's about 5 steps down to your boat. You want to get site 456-460 if you can. I camped at it last year and there is a good place to beach your boat and it's inside the no wake zone. The sites on the end of that area are out in the lake. Lots of boat traffic coming into the marina, which is good since you have a parade of boats all day, which I like. The marina is close but it is still a drive out of the campground and back down to the marina if you decide to rent a slip. But this place has a store, a nice pool, a sheltered area where they play movies at night. It's geared more towards families.

http://www.mountainlakecampground.com/index.html

If you drive your boat to the beach you can beach it on the back side of the picnic area. As you approach the beach go around to the back side of the point and you'll see posts you can tie off to. But the best place to park your boat is just as the tree line starts to your right. You can tie off to the trees and there is a trail to get back to the picnic area. I have pulled right into that spot on holiday weekends since folks don't think you can tie off there. It's a great place to picnic and little kids like the beach. We have my son's birthday party there every year in July. Take a wide berth on the point...it is one of the few shallow areas on the lake.

Hope this helps and let me know what you decide.

Snider4

#3 Post by Snider4 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:31 pm

Glad to hear your powered up and warm, thanks for the quick response! We are going to travel with some other family members this summer and have been talking about your area due to the rock jumping and clear water. We are getting together this week and hopefully we will make our plans.

Thanks again,, :thumbsup
Snider4
Misty Harbor 2080RE
Merc 50
Sprinter Select 26BH
Ohio

mikeherb

#4 Post by mikeherb » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:09 am

Two years ago they outlawed jumping from any rock higher than 6 feet into the water. Just so you know. Plenty of rock climbing that can be done along the lake.