mossberg 500 magazine spring?

Lets talk about all aspects of camping & Fishing... location, gear, tips & tricks, ect... (credit for this section goes to backlash)

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

dockholiday

mossberg 500 magazine spring?

#1 Post by dockholiday » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:03 pm

Any one know if you have to remove the magazine from the receiver to get the mag spring out. Looked at about 3 or more videos an they disassembled everything but the magazine an spring. Thought once you removed the barrel the end of the mag tube screwed off, but it just seems to turn without going anywhere. Pretty sure the magazine screws into the receiver, but would rather take it out from the other end if possible. Thought I had removed the spring in this one but it must have been one of the others shotguns.The model 590 springs comes out once the barrel is removed. Got some new springs ordered, so need to get this figured out.............
doc

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

Re: mossberg 500 magazine spring?

#2 Post by HandymanHerb » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:30 pm

In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

dockholiday

#3 Post by dockholiday » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:30 pm

Thanks Herb............was right behind you on those threads. Well guys with mossberg 500 you do have to unscrew the mag tube from the receiver to access the mag spring. Found this while searching http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1994 ... BE__8_SHOT
not sure if it will work with the 18 1/2 inch barrel though. Here is the barrel 20' an 8 mag tube http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2512 ... HOTGUN_KIT but that is about half the price of a new 590. Not sure why I bought 3 springs but will get to removing the old one tomorrow. Thanks again Herb.
doc

dockholiday

#4 Post by dockholiday » Mon May 03, 2010 6:27 pm

Update on da spring..............received the magazine springs this afternoon from wolff. Was a little apprehensive to get started since all the stuff I had read said it was really difficult to remove without denting the tube. They had suggested heat guns an torchs, didn't have any of those but had the old trusty hair dryer. Went around the threads for a couple of minutes then put the strap wrench to it. loosened on the first pull. The new spring is about 7 inches longer than the one I threw in the trash an it was only about one inch longer than the magazine itself so it provided very little pressure sliding the shells down the magazine. Guess it is good or better than new now. If you have a semi or a pump shotgun an had it for a while might want to look at replacing the magazine spring. Cheap fix for about 8 bucks. Glad now I bought 3, you save a little on each spring an shipping is about the same as one. Okay bad dudes the doc ready for you now with some fresh 3 inch 00. Anyone looking at a home defense shotgun check out the Mossberg 720 SPX. Sort of wish I had not ran across it since that is all I need another weapon. Lots of videos on youtube. Guess I will pick one up, but this is the last one.
doc

WaltF

#5 Post by WaltF » Tue May 04, 2010 10:06 am

The Mossberg is an evil weapon, no doubt.. :box
--------------------
ImageImageImage
--------------------
'07 22 ft SunTracker Regency 135hp i/o
'02 Dodge 2500, Edge Juice w/Attitude
Colorado Springs, CO.