Fishing Poles

Lets talk about all aspects of camping & Fishing... location, gear, tips & tricks, ect... (credit for this section goes to backlash)

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

cbavier

Fishing Poles

#1 Post by cbavier » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:05 am

What do you use to store securely your fishing poles on your pontoon? I bought a Plastic 6 ft truck bed tool box but it takes up a lot of room so I was wondering what you use. They must be out of sight. I don't want to carry them by hand but leave them on the boat all the time. My seats are all individual (Overton's) so cutting the ends between the two out, between two is really not an option. The tool box does make for extra seating but it's sort of stuck out in the isle. I can't mount them on the back platform cause that's where the two Gas tanks are mounted.
Own-It-II

Chuck
24 Ft Aqua Patio Executive Cruiser
50 HP Johnson
06 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
Roscommon, MI

shootandfish1

Re: Fishing Poles

#2 Post by shootandfish1 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:54 pm

Hi cbavier,

I've also been thinking about how to keep fishing rods from growing legs.

I keep coming back to using 4 or 6 inch PVC pipe and mounting the pipe to horizontally to the railing, either on the inside or outside. I've seen large U-bolts that would work. My idea would use a screw-on cap , drill a 5/8" or so hole through the cap and pipe, insert a tractor-type hitch pin (has to be longer than the pvc pipe and cap diameter) and you would need to drill out the hole at the end of the hitch-pin large enough to accept a decent size padlock, which is why one would a 5/8" pin.

The above scheme works best taking the reels off the rods and storing them in a seperate, lockable box. A pain for sure.

Hopefully, someone may have a better idea.

Of course, in the end, you are just keeping honest folks honest.

Fred

cbavier

#3 Post by cbavier » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:22 am

shootandfish1 wrote:Hi cbavier,

I've also been thinking about how to keep fishing rods from growing legs.

I keep coming back to using 4 or 6 inch PVC pipe and mounting the pipe to horizontally to the railing, either on the inside or outside. I've seen large U-bolts that would work. My idea would use a screw-on cap , drill a 5/8" or so hole through the cap and pipe, insert a tractor-type hitch pin (has to be longer than the pvc pipe and cap diameter) and you would need to drill out the hole at the end of the hitch-pin large enough to accept a decent size padlock, which is why one would a 5/8" pin.

The above scheme works best taking the reels off the rods and storing them in a seperate, lockable box. A pain for sure.

Hopefully, someone may have a better idea.

Of course, in the end, you are just keeping honest folks honest.

Fred

Fred I thought of PVC also. Here's what I found.

4inch PVC was too small with the reels on the poles and I didn't want to have to take them off and put them on every time I used them.
Home Depot and Lowe's do not sell 6" PVC so you have to go to a Plumbing Supplier. $50 for 10 ft section. They don't sell any shorter. Then add another $70 for Coupler, caps and ends. That was too expensive for my pocketbook. So I found a Plastic truck toolbox at a Garage sale for $20. I thought well this will be just temporary. My pontoon has seating for 12-13 if your real cozy and that is what it's rated for (13 passengers or 1800 LBS). We had 12 on the boat and my wife sat on the box and it started to collapse so I thought framework, reinforce it. That worked but because of all the furniture on the boat the tool box has to sit crosswise blocking one side gate, which I don't use anyway. Now the toolbox does provide for extra seating because I built a framework inside it for both seat support and also Rod Racks for four fishing poles and it does lock. Now granted I don't like the box stuck out in the middle of the floor and having to walk around it to get to the helm and back but I don't have any better solution right now.
Chuck
Own-It-II

Chuck
24 Ft Aqua Patio Executive Cruiser
50 HP Johnson
06 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
Roscommon, MI

shootandfish1

#4 Post by shootandfish1 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:46 pm

When I first got interested in pontoons, I got the hots (still do) for a 'Party Hut' with the solid roof. I envisioned using the upper deck for storage, would be perfect for a 'rod box'.

Of course, BMR and others here have since taught me that God intended 'other' uses for the upper deck. :shock:

playcat

#5 Post by playcat » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:26 am

I keep my inflated tubes and kayak on my upper sundeck. Fishing rods go in the storage space under the raised helm platform
playcat
Boatless for now
Never another I/O
Kerr Reservoir, VA