what do these numbers mean

Lets talk about all aspects of camping & Fishing... location, gear, tips & tricks, ect... (credit for this section goes to backlash)

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

ROLAND

what do these numbers mean

#1 Post by ROLAND » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:54 am

Hey guys, need your help figuring something out. As most of you know, I bought my first toon just over a year ago, its' rigged for fishing 'cause that's what momma likes to do.. she's not a big fan of just riding around on the lake.. anyway, I've never been a fisherman, so last year when we bought our boat we ran to wal-mart and picked up a couple of zebco combo rods... I think they ran around $39 each ( that's rod and reel together ). Anyway this past summer I fell in love with fishing so this year for christmas my son and wife bought me a new reel and 2 new rods.. The rods are Bionic Blades made by bass pro shops, one is a medium, the other is a medium heavy. on the bottom side of each rod there is a series of info.. I know what all of it means except for the very end....on the medium rod the last thing stamped on there is: action / fast and then k9. on the medium heavy rod after the "action fast", it's stamped G10. What do the K9 and the G10 stand for? also, like I said I'm not much of a fisherman and I noticed the old rod and reels we have in the garage are all "mediums". We usually fish for bream, crappie, perch and occasionally bass. Should I use the medium for the panfish and the "MH" for bass, or should I just use one rod for "all" the fishing we do... While these rods are not "expensive", at bass pro they sell for 79.95 each, on sale for 59.95, they are the best rods I've ever owned ( or will own on christmas ) and I feel sure they will suit my needs just fine. But I sure would appreciate your input on the questions above... thanks again guys...
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

smltooner

Re: what do these numbers mean

#2 Post by smltooner » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:06 pm

9 and 10 might refer to the # of line guides.
Don't know about the "K" and "G".
SMLTOONER
Ted & Emily
2019 Bennington 21SL Tri-toon
2019 Yamaha 150 HP
Smith Mtn. Lake, Virginia

ROLAND

#3 Post by ROLAND » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:01 pm

smltooner wrote:9 and 10 might refer to the # of line guides.
Don't know about the "K" and "G".
That's a good guess Ted... that's what I thought also. but when I went back and looked at the rods, both of them have 9 line guides.... oh well, gotta go back and put the rods back where they hid them.. don't want to ruin "my' surprise from them. :lol3 If my wife knew I knew where her hiding place was, she would :box
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

lcbl75771

#4 Post by lcbl75771 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:38 pm

If i'm not mistaken, the letter corresponds to the month, A=Jan, B=Feb etc.. and 9 or 10 is the year.
2007 Bennington 2075
90 HP Yamaha

tomjordan

#5 Post by tomjordan » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:38 am

i think like lcbl75771 too, but who knows....
You will find sooner or later...

bassn386

#6 Post by bassn386 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:57 pm

From looking at BassPro's web site, it seems that the 9 does refer to the number of guides. Also, a "9" is probably at least a 7' rod.
Keep this in mind: the heavier the rod the less "feel" you'll have for light bites. If you are fishing mainly for crappie or bream you'll want to go with shorter rods (5'6" - 6') and either light or ultra light action (4-6 pound test). Of course, this will depend on the type of cover where you fish. If you fish heavy grass or laydowns you'll want to jump up a bit in line strength.
If you want to fish mainly for bass, go with at least 12# (I use nothing less than 14# here at Lake of the Ozarks for bass). The two rods you mentioned would be good for bass fishing, but not necessarily for crappie.
Also, remember, use what works for you. Hell, if you're going to fish mainly for crappie by jig fishing, then a good ole cane pole would probably work just as well! Then you don't have to worry about buying that $180 reel because Kevin Van Damm said it was good.
In the interest of full disclosure, I have 10 rods & reels of various sizes and types (bait casters and spinning reels) and every year I think I have to upgrade my equipment, but I can't tell you that my St. Croix rod ($200) with a $300 Shimano Chronarch reel caught more bass than my $40 Ugly Stik and $40 Browning bait caster did.
Remember: Every trip to fish is excellent; sometimes the catching leaves a little bit to be desired!
My wife gave me a t-shirt a couple of years ago that I really like. It says:
Early to bed, early to rise
Fish all day & make up lies.posting.php?mode=reply&f=10&t=7354#
2011 Bennington 2575RCW w/ ESP
F225 Yamaha