Camping Rocks!

Lets talk about all aspects of camping & Fishing... location, gear, tips & tricks, ect... (credit for this section goes to backlash)

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

WaltF

Camping Rocks!

#1 Post by WaltF » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:51 pm

I blame our love of camping for why i bought the toon!

A little history lesson here...

"How i Ended up with a Fricken Pontoon Boat" By WaltF

We picked up a beat to hell 1968 Apache Mesa popup about 7 years ago and camped in the thing so much that after 3 or so years the wife decided electricity and heat would be a nice addition. :biggrin2

Thus in comes the new popup! Picked up a brand new Jayco 1207 popup back in 2005 and camp on an average 40-45 days during the about 6-7 month camping season, ie bout April - Oct.
Love the fricken thing! Its got a furnace, a/c, hot water heater, heated mattresses even!

Then came drunken camping friends! :biggrin2

Then a fricken toon!

..and the rest, is history.. :lol:
Last edited by WaltF on Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------
ImageImageImage
--------------------
'07 22 ft SunTracker Regency 135hp i/o
'02 Dodge 2500, Edge Juice w/Attitude
Colorado Springs, CO.

dockholiday

Re: Camping Rocks!

#2 Post by dockholiday » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:24 pm

That's a nice looking pop up. Would love to get one for the lake property,but know my snob neighbors would pitch a fit.
I was planning on building down there but sort of re thinking it now. The tax on the lake property is already almost twice what it is on my house. Hate to see what it would be with a house on the lot. The county came through at the peak of the realestate bubble and revalued all the property and ever since then it seem to go up a couple of hundred a year for something. Anyway that's a sharp looking pop up..........enjoy (knowing you will)
doc

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#3 Post by badmoonrising » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:21 pm

When my brother and sisters were toddlers, my parents started us tent camping, then graduated to a pop-up and eventually went to a 27 ft Prowler. Cheryl and I inherited it when my father passed away but we sold it when we moved to Chesapeake CIty.

It was one of the reasons the PC appealed to us.

Some of my best memories was my family camping, and then my Dad introduced me to hunting and fishing.

It's a shame most parents today don't expose their kids to the outdoors more.
Ed, Cheryl, Ethan and Aspen.
2013 Sun Tracker Party Barge 22 w/90 HP Mercury, "Hellrhighwater 2"
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

cdub

#4 Post by cdub » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:55 pm

Howdy Waltf. We have always had campers and V bottom boats. You tend to spill to many drinks in those tippy go fast types so we moved on up to the toon. It has cut my alcohol bill in half! Bought a Starcraft 34RT a year and a half ago. It's our first PUP and the whole family loves it. Lots of room when popped up. We take it to the lake a couple times a year and also on our deer and elk hunts. Take care, Craig
Western Montana with 6 lakes within 1.5 hrs
06 21 Party Barge 90hp Optimax
07 HD2500 Crewcab 4x4 Duramax/Allison

2toytrucks

#5 Post by 2toytrucks » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:37 am

Similar to you Waltf, except we had always tent camped. After we got the first 'toon Jen and Kim really wanted a/c (and I really NEEDED a/c, much, much quieter :wink:) so we got a used Palomino pop up, a/c, heat, etc... It was nice to upgrade from tent camping, so much easier to cook and clean in as well. I think we were in our 2nd season of camping in the pop up and we got caught in a very bad wind/rain storm up at Conchas lake in the middle of the night. Luckily for me my younger bro was there to help me hold the top and get some rope to a tree, really think we might have tipped over. That was the last time for Jen and the pop up. Fast forward a month or 2 and we had our new 05' Trail Cruiser hybrid TT, best of both worlds, hard side TT with the tent ends for the "real" camping experience. Since then we have made alot of upgrades sat. tv, laminate floor t/o (matches the cabinets very nice) border paper and decorations, faux plants, etc...

Camping does indeed rock! We just got in from a 3 day 2 night lake trip, with the appropriate sunburn and hangover that is usually associated with a properly done trip! :lol: This pic is not from this trip.

John, Jen, Kim
'07 Parti Kraft Admiral
PKA 220-RE 3 gate
115 Yamaha 4s
Elephant Butte lake
"The coiled snake might seem a strange symbol today. But it was and is effective. No American who ever sees it forgets. "Don't Tread On Me"!

2toytrucks

#6 Post by 2toytrucks » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:47 am

:oops: Sorry for the oversized pic.

BMR, missed the last line of your post the first time and it reminded me of a late summer, early fall camping trip we had up in the Pecos wilderness. Kim was maybe 1 1/2 years old that trip, one of the pics taken of her that trip is still my favorite to this day! Will try and scan it or figure out how to share somehow.

Kim was less than 3 months old her first camping trip, her brother was still alive, what a sight we must have been, a disabled child on O2 and an infant camping up in the mountains! :)
John, Jen, Kim
'07 Parti Kraft Admiral
PKA 220-RE 3 gate
115 Yamaha 4s
Elephant Butte lake
"The coiled snake might seem a strange symbol today. But it was and is effective. No American who ever sees it forgets. "Don't Tread On Me"!

WaltF

#7 Post by WaltF » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:53 pm

Sweet pic John!!
Where is that?
--------------------
ImageImageImage
--------------------
'07 22 ft SunTracker Regency 135hp i/o
'02 Dodge 2500, Edge Juice w/Attitude
Colorado Springs, CO.

lakerunner
Site Moderator

#8 Post by lakerunner » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:48 pm

Glad yall love camping so much. You can have mine and Betty's. We love being at home and half mile from lake
Loyd & Betty Meeks
Livin the lake life
2004 Tracker 22 Regency/2010 90 E-Tec. Pulled by Ford 2020 F 250,
McAlester, Oklahoma
Home lake is Tenkiller

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#9 Post by badmoonrising » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:50 am

I am in the process of scanning all of our family slides to digital and there are a bunch of our family camping trips. This is how our parents introduced us to camping, some of our best memories.

Check out the "Nixon Now" bumper sticker. :lol: I am in the back behind my younger brother and older sister.
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

2toytrucks

#10 Post by 2toytrucks » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:12 am

WaltF wrote:Sweet pic John!!
Where is that?

Walt, that is from Lions beach down at Elephant Butte. That was in 05' the water was way down then, it is up about 50' now and with your snow hopefully we can be full for the first time in years.
John, Jen, Kim
'07 Parti Kraft Admiral
PKA 220-RE 3 gate
115 Yamaha 4s
Elephant Butte lake

2toytrucks

#11 Post by 2toytrucks » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:06 am

Great pic BMR, we had the same metal cooler when I was growing up!

Got the pic I was talking about and then one from earlier that year.
Attachments
scan0001.jpg
scan0001.jpg (655.94 KiB) Viewed 6997 times
scan.jpg
scan.jpg (495.31 KiB) Viewed 6994 times
John, Jen, Kim
'07 Parti Kraft Admiral
PKA 220-RE 3 gate
115 Yamaha 4s
Elephant Butte lake

looneytoons

#12 Post by looneytoons » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:19 am

Ahh, 2tt, your pics are MIA. I love seeing pics of camping. Although I never camped when I was little, my kids grew up camping and boating. Great combo! Now we can't wait for the opportunity. The grandbabies love it too and are getting some of the best experiences and memories they will ever have. Dave's daughter is not really into roughing it; so, next year we plan on taking his grandkids along and get them exposed to the good life. :) Thanks for the pics.

2007 G3 LX3 25C
Yamaha F150

2toytrucks

#13 Post by 2toytrucks » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:04 am

:oops: Alma, they are there, just waaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy over to the right. I had not scanned anything before and do not know what I messed up.

Loyd, can I get a DUMBASS from you?
John, Jen, Kim
'07 Parti Kraft Admiral
PKA 220-RE 3 gate
115 Yamaha 4s
Elephant Butte lake

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#14 Post by badmoonrising » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:16 am

Looks like you just had to crop them..if you scan a small image on a flatbed scanner, you get alot of blank space.
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

slowdog

#15 Post by slowdog » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:31 pm

I still use a cooler like that one