fishin on Tenkiller

Lets talk about all aspects of camping & Fishing... location, gear, tips & tricks, ect... (credit for this section goes to backlash)

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Shopguy

fishin on Tenkiller

#1 Post by Shopguy » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:34 pm

Man I can't wait to get out there. Ready for those keeper crappie to start jumpin in my bucket. You know... the one's that you don't even have to question if their big enough. Yeah ... those...Mmmmmm. All I need is a couple good evenings. Caught a few sandies above the bridge last week. Crappie were hitting pretty good on a purple jig around the docks before that last front moved in. I haven't been since.
Last Sept I hit a spot in the curve above Horse shoe bend about 20 yards nothin before and nothin after. Musta been 5 ft deep. trolling back and forth. Well drifting back ..... anyway. BIG sandbass.. We had four poles out and I swear it was all I could do to unhook and drive for about 2 hrs. Everytime I idled thru there WHAM! if not all, three out the four hit hard. Lots of fun that day. The next day nothin there. They were scattered on down the way and smaller. That's fishin.
Shopguy

23' Tritoon with a 150F Yamaha
Strakes and skins

cbavier

Re: fishin on Tenkiller

#2 Post by cbavier » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:50 pm

Sounds exciting. That's the way I like to fish. When you can find them and they are practically jumping in the boat.
Own-It-II

Chuck
24 Ft Aqua Patio Executive Cruiser
50 HP Johnson
06 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
Roscommon, MI

jlmnjem

#3 Post by jlmnjem » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:53 pm

My dad left today to go to Cherokee Landing hoping to get into the sandies. He'll be there until Saturday, as he and I are going to fish a bass tourney on the Arkansas River on Sunday.

cbavier

#4 Post by cbavier » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:05 am

Shopguy and I know there are lots of others. Where is Lake Tenkiller, OK ? Is it near the Cherokee SP? I was looking on the map but can't find it. My mother was born in Bartlesville. I've been there as well as several other places in North eastern, OKLA. When I was a kid. Many, Many Moons ago. She was a Chickasaw/ Cherokee Indian.
Own-It-II

Chuck
50 HP Johnson
06 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
Roscommon, MI

lakerunner696

#5 Post by lakerunner696 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:19 am

Been going to Cherokee landing also and catching more small males than larger fish. Picked up 6 14" Crappie on blue/chartreuse bombers last Sunday. Trying Burnt Cabin today for big slabs

Tenkiller in South of Tahlequah near I-40.
Loyd, AKA Angry Ol Bastard & Betty Meeks
Beautiful Lake Tenkiller Oklahoma
2008 F150 Lariat Super Crew
2004 Tracker Regency, 2010 Evinrude E-Tec 90
Haul Rite trailer

God bless our country, God damn it's enemy's.

cbavier

#6 Post by cbavier » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:43 pm

lakerunner696 wrote:Been going to Cherokee landing also and catching more small males than larger fish. Picked up 6 14" Crappie on blue/chartreuse bombers last Sunday. Trying Burnt Cabin today for big slabs

Tenkiller in South of Tahlequah near I-40.

I though you was from OKLA. I found it on the map now after you gave me directions. Are most all the lakes in OKLA dammed up rivers? I never realized there were so many lakes.
Own-It-II

Chuck
50 HP Johnson
06 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
Roscommon, MI

lakerunner696

#7 Post by lakerunner696 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:57 pm

All lakes in Okla are damned up rivers. People think all of Oklahoma is like western Okla, or they have seen the Grapes of Wrath and still think we are in the Dust Bowl. Had a niece in Cali married a guy who wouldn't come here because of wild Indians. That was a few years ago though. Some don't know Oklahoma is the longest inland waterway. We have access to the Mississippi through the Arkansas river navigational channel.

Oh I didn't get any slab Crappie today but fill a cooler with big White Bass around Goat Island at Petitt Bay
Haul Rite trailer

cbavier

#8 Post by cbavier » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:50 pm

White Bass are great eating. We don't have very many dammed up rivers in Michigan. What there are. They are power dams. I can think of maybe ten or twelve. There are probably more that I don't know about.
Own-It-II

Chuck
50 HP Johnson
06 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
Roscommon, MI

Shopguy

#9 Post by Shopguy » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:45 pm

lakerunner,

Caught two good ones after work at Elk Creek off the bank with a yellow roadrunner. Musta got lucky cause that was it. First one's since last week that I've seen wear on their tails like they been nesting. Anyway one 12 and the other about 14 inches.
Shopguy

23' Tritoon with a 150F Yamaha
Strakes and skins

lakerunner696

#10 Post by lakerunner696 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:19 pm

A friend has been doing well on the pea gravel ay Cherokee landing on Wildcat point side. Not sure what he was using but doing well almost daily.
Haul Rite trailer