Crappie

Lets talk about all aspects of camping & Fishing... location, gear, tips & tricks, ect... (credit for this section goes to backlash)

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

jeffybear

Crappie

#1 Post by jeffybear » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:28 am

Went crappie fishing last night at Caesar's Creek in SW Ohio. Don't usually have much luck there, but last night we were able to bring home 15 crappie between 10-12". Pretty good night for there. And nothing tastes any better than a good mess of crappie.

Last edited by jeffybear on Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If 10% is good enough for God, then 9% should be just fine for the Federal Government"
Herman Cain - Aug 18 2011

1997 90hp 2 Stroke Merc
1997 Sun Tracker Fishin' Barge 21

dockholiday

Re: Crappie

#2 Post by dockholiday » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:43 am

Nice mess. Hate to say how long it's been since I did some crappie fishing. Should be able to get back into fishing next year, after all the lake work is done.

doc

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

#3 Post by HandymanHerb » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:06 pm

Great catch, I can smell them cooking from here mmmmmm
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

chill'nthemost

#4 Post by chill'nthemost » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:14 pm

dockholiday wrote:Nice mess. Hate to say how long it's been since I did some crappie fishing. Should be able to get back into fishing next year, after all the lake work is done.

doc
Bet it hasn't been more than 35 years. Brings back memories. As I remember they had some pretty nasty sharp spines if you weren't careful
1998 Sun Tracker Party Barge 25ft, stern drive 3.0 Chevy
Unfortunate member Parent's of Murdered Children

I love my country, it's the government I fear

Bamaman

#5 Post by Bamaman » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:24 pm

Your crappie are perfect eating size. We use electric knives to clean'em, and cut the very fine ribs out of the filets.

They're like eating butter. Like most Southerners, we prefer to dip them in egg/milk mixture, then dredge in seasoned cornmeal and drop them into peanut oil for a few minutes. Yummm!

My neighbor has a aluminum bass boat w/70 hp Johnson that he only uses the boat for Spring crappie fishing. Whoever heard of winterizing a boat in May? He has over 1000 crappie in the freezer in good fishing years. He spent this Spring fishing season slaying largemouth and smallmouth--some 150 fish days. Not bad.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

ROLAND

#6 Post by ROLAND » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:10 am

Jeffybear.... nice looking fish... just last weekend on the 2nd, we drove over to east texas and put in at the state park in karnack...about a mile away from the launch there was an opening on a sandy bank that we pulled up on... I sat on the small swim deck at the back of the boat with my feet in the water and started fishing with nightcrawlers.... in a span of about 2 hours I must have caught at least 35 crappie the same size ( and some larger ) as the fish you had pics of... these fish were amazing.. I was fishing no more than 15 feet off the bank, feet in the water... I would bait my hook and drop it in the water, and before I could stick my hands in the water to rinse them off, the damn cork / bobber would go straight down and stay down... all I had to do was pick up the rod and reel em in.. My wife probably caught another 15 on the other side of the boat... right place right time I guess... of course the day was ruined when we got back to the launch to find that some kid had hit my truck and trailer... both still driveable, but both in need of repair... by the way, we drove over to the same state park today and fished from the bank ( no boat 'cause the truck is now in the body shop )... it was 100 degrees, we fished for 3 1/2 hours... I caught 1 decent crappie and 2 itty bitty ones.... certainly not worth the 45 minute drive each way.....
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

dockholiday

#7 Post by dockholiday » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:18 am

well you know what they say...............a bad day fishing is better than a good day at the office
doc

jeffybear

#8 Post by jeffybear » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:33 am

ROLAND wrote:Jeffybear.... nice looking fish... ... by the way, ... it was 100 degrees, we fished for 3 1/2 hours... I caught 1 decent crappie and 2 itty bitty ones.... certainly not worth the 45 minute drive each way.....
Roland,
Definitely had my share of these kind of days :lol3
"If 10% is good enough for God, then 9% should be just fine for the Federal Government"
Herman Cain - Aug 18 2011

1997 90hp 2 Stroke Merc
1997 Sun Tracker Fishin' Barge 21

killerkernrich

#9 Post by killerkernrich » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:16 am

I grew up in OKie near Oologah lake, nothing better than pan fried crappie... :nana
Premier 221 Explorer 60hp merc

Proud Father of a Drill Sergeant at 193rd Basic Training Infantry Brigade, Ft Jackson, SC

PLP Member
Why don't anti-gun people have stickers on their windows that say This is a gun free home
NRA member
UFC fan

ezrollin

#10 Post by ezrollin » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:26 pm

Last season I was crappie fishing on the Kissimmee River with my brother in law.Because his pontoon / cabin boat has overnight facilities the 25 a person limit is double,which we had no trouble reaching several nights.Down side is I'm probably ruined for crappie fishing anywhere else.And yes we filleted them leaving skinless,boneless slabs of fish which we put in freezer bags for eating the rest of the year.

dockholiday

#11 Post by dockholiday » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:19 am

Ooooops............thought we were talking about the current president when i saw the topic title............forgive me
doc