Costa Rica??? Anyone been there?

Have a favorite place ? Share it here !

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Bryden24shp

Costa Rica??? Anyone been there?

#1 Post by Bryden24shp » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:44 am

My sister is getting married in Costa Rica this winter. We are going down for it. Never been there before and just wondering if anyone here has, so we can get an idea of what to expect from a tourists view. How is the food, the sights, the flights, how are the locals, did you feel safe there? Any info would be great!
Thanks!!!
Bryan
Owner-EzFender Boat Products
Members, visit your discount page at:
http://www.ezfender.com/PontoonForums-M ... -Page.html

Ron Burgundy

Re: Costa Rica??? Anyone been there?

#2 Post by Ron Burgundy » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:49 am

I haven't been there but some good friends and family have. Great fishing from what I hear.
-Ron Burgundy, "Stay Classy San Diego"

2005 Fiesta Fish n' Fun 20' 50HP Yamaha 2 Stroke
Fishing and Cruising Florida's Islands

The cure for anything is saltwater – sweat, tears, or the sea. Isak Dinesen

margaritaman

#3 Post by margaritaman » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:51 am

Been there, scenery is great outside of San Jose. Weather is cool I stayed in a non ac hotel downtown and it was comfortable. If your wife does not come it is a single man's paradise if you know what I mean. :biggrin2
Cruising the salt waters of East Florida.

Bryden24shp

#4 Post by Bryden24shp » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:01 am

margaritaman wrote:Been there, scenery is great outside of San Jose. Weather is cool I stayed in a non ac hotel downtown and it was comfortable. If your wife does not come it is a single man's paradise if you know what I mean. :biggrin2
Really Now??? Flu bug season is around the corner... :prayer With my luck, I'ld get it, though!

Ya, Ron, My future Bro'n'law was talkin about going game fishing, I hope we can! Love catching Blue Gills! :biggrin2

Bamaman

#5 Post by Bamaman » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:17 pm

Costa Rica's the most civilized of the banana republics in Central America. It's a favorite place for Americans to retire to--when they're trying to exit from O'Bamacare. It's a very beautiful place, with great forests inland.

The major highways running north and south are pretty congested with trucks bringing goods down from Mexico. Getting from town to town takes longer than expected.

I had a friend that went there last year. He rented a car and drove down to Nicaragua. He said that place is like going back in time, and is not at all modern.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

killerkernrich

#6 Post by killerkernrich » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:25 pm

I had a friend that went there last year. He rented a car and drove down to Nicaragua. He said that place is like going back in time, and is not at all modern.

which place CR or NIC??
Premier 221 Explorer 60hp merc

Proud Father of a Drill Sergeant at 193rd Basic Training Infantry Brigade, Ft Jackson, SC

PLP Member
Why don't anti-gun people have stickers on their windows that say This is a gun free home
NRA member
UFC fan

Bamaman

#7 Post by Bamaman » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:33 pm

Nicaragua.

I had a business associate from Nicaragua when it was really a rough place. He was president of the National Bank. Over time, he had moved all the wealth of the country to a bank he owned in Miami. When the Sandinistas took over the country militarily, they stormed the bank only to find empty vaults.

As far as I know, the blue bloods of Nicaragua are still living on Key Biscayne.

Nicaragua has its good days and bad. It would not be a very desirable place to live for an ex-pat at this time.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

rbiederwolf

#8 Post by rbiederwolf » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:37 pm

Which part are you traveling to?? I have had a house there since 2000. However the last couple of years I hve not traveled there much. Still I am fairly familiar with alot of areas
If you ain't got the the blues, you got a hole in your soul...

Rick
2007 Avalon Paradise Elite 22 Tritoon
2008 Yamaha 150hp

Texoma Toon

#9 Post by Texoma Toon » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:09 pm

Costa Rica is on my bucket list of places to visit so very interested in any info.
2007 G3 LX 22 Fish & Cruise
90 Hp Yammy
Dual Axle Trailer

The proud American will go down into Obama's slavery without a fight, beating his chest and proclaiming to the world how free he really is. The world will only snicker. - Pravda

chill'nthemost

#10 Post by chill'nthemost » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:37 pm

I have friends who go and love it but I have issues with leaving the boarders of the USA
1998 Sun Tracker Party Barge 25ft, stern drive 3.0 Chevy
Unfortunate member Parent's of Murdered Children

I love my country, it's the government I fear

Bryden24shp

#11 Post by Bryden24shp » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:48 am

rbiederwolf wrote:Which part are you traveling to?? I have had a house there since 2000. However the last couple of years I hve not traveled there much. Still I am fairly familiar with alot of areas
We are heading to Guanacaste, Liberia. Looks like a fun place!
chill'nthemost wrote:I have friends who go and love it but I have issues with leaving the boarders of the USA
Ya, I know what you mean. Went to Jamaica back in '81, right after the uprising. That was a trip. Armed guards, Jeeps with 50 cals. Manned 1/2 tracks running around all over the place. People were breaking glass bottles and cementing the sharp broken shards and bottoms to the tops on fences and planting them in yards. Being a 21 year old from rural Iowa, you could say I was a little shocked at first. But it turned out to be a hell of a trip. I'ld do it all over again.

Sorry for the late get back, been working nights!
Bryan

rbiederwolf

#12 Post by rbiederwolf » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:47 pm

Where in Guanacaste? I am in the northern guanacaste region. Liberia is ok. It is a small city inland. They have built a fairly nice international airport there (only direct international airport other than San Jose). Have some decent local shopping, restaurants etc. It is really a true Costa Rican market place.
If you ain't got the the blues, you got a hole in your soul...

Rick
2007 Avalon Paradise Elite 22 Tritoon
2008 Yamaha 150hp

Bryden24shp

#13 Post by Bryden24shp » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:24 am

We are staying at the Guanacaste Riu resort. Leave next week! We are really excited, should be fun. i guess they have a volcano tour, zip lining, a rainforest tour and hot mud baths for the girls. Will tell you how it was after we get back!
Thanks Guys!
Bryan

Texoma Toon

#14 Post by Texoma Toon » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:43 am

Bryden24shp wrote:We are staying at the Guanacaste Riu resort. Leave next week! We are really excited, should be fun. i guess they have a volcano tour, zip lining, a rainforest tour and hot mud baths for the girls. Will tell you how it was after we get back!
Thanks Guys!
Bryan
Have fun and any pics you want to share would be cool :thumbsup
2007 G3 LX 22 Fish & Cruise
90 Hp Yammy
Dual Axle Trailer

The proud American will go down into Obama's slavery without a fight, beating his chest and proclaiming to the world how free he really is. The world will only snicker. - Pravda

Rhinohio

#15 Post by Rhinohio » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:35 pm

The wife and went some time ago and it was magnificent. We flew into Liberia and headed left to the Playa de Casa region. It was one of those experiences you never forget. Dare I say magical?

The volcanoes, zip lines, ATV tours (on and on) were cool... we did them all. But the best "tour" we did was a sailboat excursion to a secluded beach for snorkeling. This was an all inclusive deal and every tour included beer and food... what can I say. The river trip was pretty cool as well if you're into the wildlife thing. Howler monkeys throwing poo at you, crocs up the ying-yang, lots of very strange birds and food and beer.

The squirrels are marked like skunks and the monkeys wake you in the a.m. like chickens. Most of the locals speak English and are happy you are there and don't want to kill you. My only suggestion would be don't rent a car. Taxi's are cheap, the roads are marginal and the residents drive like maniacs. Driving in Costa Rica is a disaster waiting to happen. I can't imagine the hassle if you were involved in a wreck or worse, injured. This is a "third world" country.

Getting in is painless, getting out is not so pleasant. Be prepared to spread your luggage out on a table for the world to see. They go thru everything and if it don't fit their profile, it goes in the big can. They had an army of young women that went thru every pocket of every piece of clothing in our bags. I was clean but they did confiscate some $10 batteries I had for a 35mm camera I had at the time, also some spices my wife bought at one of the open air markets... more of an inconvenience than anything but be advised.

I'm old and probably will not venture outside of the country again, but if I did, Costa Rica would be at the top of the list. The people appreciate your business and that makes a huge difference in the overall experience.

Congrats to your sister and enjoy.

Mike
"I don't consider the pleasure of others my goal in life, nor do I consider my pleasure the goal of anyone else's life."