F.R. Woody's Pub-Ranier, MN

Have a favorite place ? Share it here !

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

tuned

F.R. Woody's Pub-Ranier, MN

#1 Post by tuned » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:50 am

I had mentioned a while back about Discovery scouting the area for a reality show centered on our harsh winters. Well, shhh, but it's a GO! I'm guessing it will be titled 'Woody's Fairly Reliable Guide Service'.
They have been up here shooting for a couple of months now in one of the nastiest winters in memory. I talked to several of the film crew guys and they were NOT in love with the work hehe. I don't have all the details as they are somewhat secretive about it. What I do know is that it is going to be centered on my very good friend and classmate Barry 'Woody' Woods. Along with him are three other principles of which I know two. Woody has lived an interesting life (including a Coke commercial in the 80s). He also just was inducted into the Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame.
For the show, there is a two story ice fishing shack, an outdoor ice 'bar' with a moose head on the 'wall', sleds, dogsleds, frostbite and lots of shenanigans.
One of the guys (I know him-Curtis) is definitely the comic relief (the Tickle of the North?).
Then there is Brent. One legged since childhood. I've seen him play hockey better than most. I've been downhill skiing with him. He was world top ten arm wrestler at one point. Awesome straight shooter he is. He puts a whole new spin on the term handi-capable. I've been trying to get him on the forum for a while (nice toon with SeaLegs). I call it the 5-legger :biggrin2

Not totally sure of the show's name yet, or when it is coming out. Woodie also has a bar (F.R. Woody's) on the lake. Just a tiny little place with a TON of character. I have been playing and singing there, often by boat, for many years now. They even took some footage of yours truly although most of that kind of stuff won't make the cut (especially with the dirty songs). :oops:

I took this shot one evening when I was setting up my guitar amp and they were just finishing up a scene. The producer lady wasn't pleased, but she didn't make me erase it. So here's a teaser. Remember these faces as you may see them soon. Woody is second from left. I'm guessing you can figure out which one Curtis is :biggrin2

Those in the area- Vermillion Fox? Rob28? might consider a visit sometime. If this show does happen to take off, you won't be able to get in the door of that poor little pub. We can take my toon there. There's even one of my guitars on the wall, waiting patiently for me. :guitar
Last edited by tuned on Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToddBob
'Al the Mirthmaker' (The Third)
Build-- viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14007
Rainy Lake/Voyageurs National Park
International Falls, MN

Bamby

Re: F.R. Woodie's Pub-Ranier, MN

#2 Post by Bamby » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:28 am

It appears to be a pretty unique place on the water. I went and checked out Woodies website and it looks as if he probably does OK in that polar region you call home (-6 as I was looking :boohoo). Please post dates and channel if you hear when it's going to air. And you might also suggest to Woodie that he update his Woodie gear page before it airs simply because his gear is so poorly presented a person can't determine what he's actually attempting to sell. :donno
Respect Our Recreational Resources
Leaving Only "The Footprints of Your Passing"

Boating the Muskingum River
1972 35' Crest Pontoon Houseboat
2007 90 hp. Yamaha

tuned

Re: F.R. Woodie's Pub-Ranier, MN

#3 Post by tuned » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:16 pm

Bamby wrote:It appears to be a pretty unique place on the water. I went and checked out Woodies website and it looks as if he probably does OK in that polar region you call home (-6 as I was looking :boohoo). Please post dates and channel if you hear when it's going to air. And you might also suggest to Woodie that he update his Woodie gear page before it airs simply because his gear is so poorly presented a person can't determine what he's actually attempting to sell. :donno
I just took a look. It doesn't even seem to have gear of any type for sale at the moment. I don't know what's up with that, but I will mention it to him. Perhaps he is in the middle of a redesign, though I don't know why. Those t-shirts have been selling like hotcakes for years, even nationwide you will see them from time to time. He had a kiosk in the Mall of America for awhile, they were that popular. I have one of the very first jackets from long ago in mint condition. I think I'm gonna keep it that way in case...well you know.
ToddBob
'Al the Mirthmaker' (The Third)
Build-- viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14007
Rainy Lake/Voyageurs National Park
International Falls, MN

REPETE

Re: F.R. Woody's Pub-Ranier, MN

#4 Post by REPETE » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:55 am

Love the northwoods pubs. I think you either love it or hate it.

Last summer I did about 1,000 miles of driving in two days before leaving the Twin Cities for the North woods of WI. I arrived at my fav Northwoods pub after the whirlwind 2 day trip at about dinner time. Sat down...ordered a drink and let out a deep sigh of relief...didn't know a person in the bar...and had one of the best times I had all last summer. :thumbsup
Just verified it on Snopes. Liberals are complete mouth breathing idiots.

I shanked my lover because hoes kept stealing my taco's.