Florida members; day get together?

Have a favorite place ? Share it here !

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

COTTS4x4

Florida members; day get together?

#1 Post by COTTS4x4 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:58 pm

It seems there are a decent number of Florida boaters on this site with more joining weekly... I'm near Orlando and boat anywhere within a couple hours.

Would you guys be up for setting up a day trip/get together? Maybe figure out what is central to everyone and set a time to meetup at a ramp and take a cruise now that the weather should be cooling down. I haven't found many forums that do something like this, although there was a Poker Run on the Harris Chain of lakes two weeks ago that had 47 boats show up.

What are your thoughts?
[b][i]
2013 Sweetwater 2286 Triple Toon
T.O.T.A.L. Package - 150 Yamaha
[/i][/b]

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

Re: Florida members; day get together?

#2 Post by HandymanHerb » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:44 pm

Sounds good, we see what we can set up, my toon was on the chain last week , I'm all for it
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

CRF8

#3 Post by CRF8 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:15 pm

Possibly interested but the boat is rarely on a trailer. We alternate between the backyard dock house and a dry-store rack marina. Cocoa & Merritt Island, FL.
18 ft 2013 Godfrey
Sweetwater Sunrise
"Slice of Life"
https://www.facebook.com/lakepoinsettflorida

fasttoons

#4 Post by fasttoons » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:04 am

We were in a poker run on the chain of lakes on 9/6. Would really enjoy another one. Suggest 11/8 -it's the same day as the Antique Race Boat show on Lake Dora.

COTTS4x4

#5 Post by COTTS4x4 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:18 pm

fasttoons wrote:We were in a poker run on the chain of lakes on 9/6. Would really enjoy another one. Suggest 11/8 -it's the same day as the Antique Race Boat show on Lake Dora.
Hey - I read that this run was going to take place, but didnt find much information on it prior to the date. I contacted Paul B. and they didnt know what kind of turnout to expect, so I kind of figured it would fall apart. The Friday before the weather wasnt looking good for the Saturday of the run so we decided instead to head to Silver Glen. Later on I found that it had 47 boats show up! I couldn't believe that many showed since even the organizers didn't have any idea if anyone was coming. Was there a forum that you saw talk of the run on or someplace that there was feedback from other boaters planning to go?

Thanks,
Scott
[b][i]
[/i][/b]

fasttoons

#6 Post by fasttoons » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:37 pm

COTTS4x4 wrote:
fasttoons wrote:We were in a poker run on the chain of lakes on 9/6. Would really enjoy another one. Suggest 11/8 -it's the same day as the Antique Race Boat show on Lake Dora.
Hey - I read that this run was going to take place, but didnt find much information on it prior to the date. I contacted Paul B. and they didnt know what kind of turnout to expect, so I kind of figured it would fall apart. The Friday before the weather wasnt looking good for the Saturday of the run so we decided instead to head to Silver Glen. Later on I found that it had 47 boats show up! I couldn't believe that many showed since even the organizers didn't have any idea if anyone was coming. Was there a forum that you saw talk of the run on or someplace that there was feedback from other boaters planning to go?

Thanks,
Scott
It was announced on several boating forums. Any interest in the Antique Raceboat Club run on Saturday Nov 1st on the Harris Chain with lunch in Travares?

COTTS4x4

#7 Post by COTTS4x4 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:46 pm

We may be free on Saturday the 1st to make the run. Is its a poker run? I didn't find anything online when I searched. This is all I found;

November
jetski race
Go to Listing Web site
Hydro Drag World Championship
Nov 1-3, 2104
On Lake Dora. Watch from Wooton Park
(352)742-6176

High speed jet ski racing a on a closed course showcasing some of the best watercross racers in the world. 9AM-5PM FREE
regatta
Go to Listing Web site
Classic Raceboat Regatta-Fall Thunder
Fri Nov 14-Sun Nov 16, 2014 9AM-5PM
Wooton Park
100 E Ruby St. Tavares, FL (352)729-6060

Presented by the Classic Raceboat Association. Several types of Classic Race Boats will perform exhibition flybys in a race-like setting on a 1-1/2 mile oval course. Various racing heats every 30 minutes, throughout the day, with Flatbottoms, Hydros and Skiffs. $3 entry fee. A Pit pass is $2
[b][i]
[/i][/b]

Friz

#8 Post by Friz » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:16 pm

Gets my vote. 11/8 is not good for me. VA medical appointment that day. Really don'r want to cancel. As we all know, people are literally dying to get an appointment at the VA. Now, you could all come up to Lake Santa Fe but I would rather drive down to the Leesburg/Mt. Dora area or?.

Friz

COTTS4x4

#9 Post by COTTS4x4 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:20 pm

I met fasttoons last weekend and he was telling me about the Nov 1st run. It sounds really cool - I'm planning to make it and probably a few other boats. He said he was planning to go also. Here's the info I found on it;

Monthly Fun Run & Gathering

November 1, 2014

Our first Fun Run & Gathering of the season !!!

The Classic Raceboat Association (CRA) is a Tavares, Florida based non-profit organization formed to organize, promote and run both fun-runs and vintage regattas on our Florida Vintage Race Boat Circuit. These are vintage and classic race boats from the early 1900’s to the 1980’s. It is also interesting to note that many CRA members do not own vintage race boats but join for the social activities, especially all the fun at our regattas and our Monthly Fun Run & Gathering. Our winter boating season is just beginning down here in Florida, all boat types are welcomed, come join all the fun !!!

On November 1st, the first Saturday of the month, our local CRA group will be launching our vintage and classic boats at the Wooton Park Ramp in Tavares for our next Monthly Fun Run & Gathering. This will be a full day on the flat water of the beautiful Harris Chain of Lakes, including a grand lunch social. Even without a boat, please join us for lunch, lots of banter and a regatta update !!

Launching ceremonies begin at 9 AM and then we leave at 10 AM to cruise all over the beautiful Harris Chain of Lakes, including the newly cleared/dredged Dora Canal. We only stop for gas and then return to Wooton Park in Tavares for lunch at Al's Landing. They promise to put us in the side room so we can make lots of noise.

This will also be a major planning meeting for our Tavares Fall Thunder Regatta. Tavares Fall Thunder Regatta - November 14-16, 2014.

After lunch we will head out again to enjoy the warm Florida sun and the flat water. After a full day on the water, we will return to Wooton Park in Tavares and pull our boats safely back onto trailers. What fun, another great day on the water with good friends and beautiful vintage and classic race boats, along with a grand gathering for lunch with lots of food, grog and good friends with happy wind burned faces. Please join us !!!

All boat types are welcomed to join us - pontoon boats gotta keep up with the pack.

9 am - boat fueling & launching at Wooton Park in Tavares

10 am - head out by boat for our morning fun run !!!

1 pm - social gathering, lunch, and regatta update Al's Landing

2 pm - head out by boat for our afternoon fun run !!!

4 pm - pull boats back onto trailers at Wooton Park in Tavares

Contact - Bill John

352-729-6060

BillJohn48@Comcast.net

This will also be the Florida debut for G-48 Obsession, currently in the shop for fresh paint and varnish.

http://www.vintageraceboatshop.com/CRA- ... FunRun.htm
[b][i]
[/i][/b]

COTTS4x4

#10 Post by COTTS4x4 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:37 pm

Looks like the location has changed to a different ramp and lunch stop but the same lakes.

Gilbert Park
Tremain St. & Liberty Ave.
Mount Dora, FL 32757
Phone: (352) 735-7183
Hours of operation: From dawn to dusk
Body of water: Lake Dora
Type of ramp: Triple paved ramp
Parking: Limited
Cost: None
Amenities: Restrooms, picnic area, fishing pier, lighthouse, trail and boardwalk
Directions: Heading south on U.S. Highway 441 to Mount Dora, turn right onto Donnelly Street. Take Donnelly Street 1.8 miles to Charles Avenue. Turn left on Charles Avenue and follow 0.2 mile to Gilbert Park.
Map of location

Lunch is now listed at Boondocks on Little Lake Harris in Howey in the Hills.

Anyone else planning to go?
[b][i]
[/i][/b]

Onegun

#11 Post by Onegun » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:27 am

Pardon a new member for resurrecting an old thread, but this is kinda what I joined for. Would love to get a pontoon thing going in central Florida, east coat, west coast or in between. Haven't run our toon yet in fresh water and would love to go following an experienced river/lake captain. In return, we have a local saltwater sandbar destination around here that sees about 100-150 boats anchored off in the spring/summer/fall, and I'd be glad to navigate a party to THAT party!

Don't really have any interest in the "any boat welcome" kind of event. If I'm going to pay for something, I want it to be with like minded people. The Anclote Key sandbar parties every weekend are "any boat welcome", but we don't pay for that. The orange-haired kid with the nose ring and the hot rod ski boat are welcome, but I AIN'T gonna PAY to hang with them. The orange-haired kid with the nose ring who owns a pontoon is a bit more laid back, and more my style of people!

Other things I'm interested in ..... Don't know the rivers around here ... the Weeki Wachee, the Homosassa, the Withlacoochee, etc, and would love to learn them. If there's a `tooner that know them, would love to follow them and learn the ropes.

Fishing. Fished with my grandpa and friends back in the 60's ... garnered the nickname of "catfish", cause that's all I caught. Did two trips as a long-liner for grouper back in the `80's, and that finished me for fishing. Long-lining made basic training feel like a walk in the park. Hardest work I ever did! Anyway, I know what a catfish and a grouper look like, but I know nothing else. My wife wants to learn to fish, (both fresh and salt), so if there's a captain out there that wants another boat along and a little company, give us a holler.

Thanks,
Bill & Maggi
Avalon LS 2500 w/eTec 135 HO
the Salt-Toon Cracker
Bill & Maggi - Hudson, Fl.
2013 Avalon LS 25' Party Barge
2015 Evinrude eTec 135 H.O.
2001 Ford F350 SuperDuty Lariat XLT Dually 4x4
Crewcab Longbed w/ 7.3 ltr Turbo Diesel
2004 R-Vision 30' Fifth Wheel Camper

COTTS4x4

#12 Post by COTTS4x4 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:04 pm

So are you guys down near Anclote? I'm east of Orlando but have taken mine all over the state. We do Homosassa during scallop season. I'm hauled mine to the keys and even caught mahi mahi from it. I also do the Silver Glen run up the St. Johns from Sanford... its about 90 miles roundtrip. It was 91 here today so we'll probably take it out tomorrow!
[b][i]
[/i][/b]

joe20toon

#13 Post by joe20toon » Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:30 pm

I'm on the Harris Chain. Just got the new boat. Hope to hear of other gatherings for 2016.
2016 20 foot Sylvan RPT (V Pontoons)
Yamaha Vmax SHO 115HP
80 Pound Thrust RipTide Trolling Motor
Humminbird Helix 7 Side Imaging

Onegun

#14 Post by Onegun » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:57 am

COTTS4x4 wrote:So are you guys down near Anclote? I'm east of Orlando but have taken mine all over the state. We do Homosassa during scallop season. I'm hauled mine to the keys and even caught mahi mahi from it. I also do the Silver Glen run up the St. Johns from Sanford... its about 90 miles roundtrip. It was 91 here today so we'll probably take it out tomorrow!
Sorry about the delayed response ... holidays, etc. Actually we're between Anclote and Homosassa in north Pasco ... about 20 miles from either one. We generally launch at the Hudson Beach ramp. We're Pinellas county refugees, (St. Pete/Clearwater), and bought our place up here about 3.5 years ago. As a consequence, I'm out of my home waters, and would really love to get with another `tooner that knows the area so I can expand our boating options.

Scalloping around Homosassa sounds like a lot of fun, so when season rolls around, be sure to give us a shout. If you tow your `toon behind an RV of some sort, you're welcome to pull in here for a week. We have 2+ acres, 50 amp electrical service, water & cable hookups, and a dump station.

And what a difference a week can make in the weather! Brrrr. You know it's cold when you trip over the dog turd in your yard instead of stepping in it!! :biggrin2

Onegun

#15 Post by Onegun » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:10 am

Just bumping this topic, as the temps here are quickly heating up.
Bill & Maggi - Hudson, Fl.
2013 Avalon LS 25' Party Barge
2015 Evinrude eTec 135 H.O.
2001 Ford F350 SuperDuty Lariat XLT Dually 4x4
Crewcab Longbed w/ 7.3 ltr Turbo Diesel
2004 R-Vision 30' Fifth Wheel Camper