Al the Mirthmaker (Mark III)

Post your restoration and rebuild projects here.

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

tuned

Re: Al the Mirthmaker (Mark III)

#271 Post by tuned » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:18 pm

Arrgh. It only gets better.

Did I mention the leak? The other day, as I was topping off fluids, I noticed my glycol was down a fair ways and taking more than it should. I look under the boat and nothing is coming out the drain holes. What the???
After adding 2 gallons of fluid, it finally starts draining out the boat (probably had to fill the bilge a bit first). I can't see the leak by either water pump. All hoses (that I can see) look OK. I cannot see the bilge much because it is too tight. After messing around with an inspection mirror, I finally could just barely hear the dripping. So around and around I go trying to pinpoint the sound. I have terrible visions of a cracked block etc....
Once I had a good idea of the location, I took my trusty scope on a gooseneck (with LCD screen) and amazingly found it. Thank God it appeared to only be an engine drain plug that was loose.
It is so far down that I can barely touch it (by feel alone) with the exhaust riser denting bolt-prints into my forehead. With socket in hand, I fumble about and it doesn't feel right. When I pulled the socket out, the damn plug was IN IT :scared . One wrong move and it would have dropped into the bilge never to be seen again. Several hours later the leak is fixed and I dodged a bullet....

....except...it still don't run. :donno I got on the phone with FAST today and went round and round with their tech about why I can make spark directly from my CDI, but not from my ECU talking to my CDI. After almost yelling at them, they finally agreed to look over the ECU. So I pulled it and off it went (along with the O2 sensor). Down at least a couple of more weeks for you 'late launchers' to catch up. Craig????

Vacation starts tomorrow and I am a friggin land-lubber. What to do? What to do? :drink4
ToddBob
'Al the Mirthmaker' (The Third)
Build-- viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14007
Rainy Lake/Voyageurs National Park
International Falls, MN

rancherlee

#272 Post by rancherlee » Sat May 02, 2015 5:55 am

If it makes you feel better, I'm taking Haley's Comet out for Crappie Fishing today to play with the new Side Imaging Humminbird I got..................... :eviltaunt
1988' Kennedy 20' "Haley's Comet"
Rebuilt 2016 with 25" single strake outer tubes and a 25x23" straked U-tube
2003 Suzuki DF140 - Yamaha 9.9HT kicker - 39.1@6300rpm

tuned

#273 Post by tuned » Sat May 02, 2015 8:27 am

rancherlee wrote:If it makes you feel better, I'm taking Haley's Comet out for Crappie Fishing today to play with the new Side Imaging Humminbird I got..................... :eviltaunt
I got yer Crappie right heah, Lee! I'm on my way to Vermillion (if that's the lake yer on). Gonna swim out, stealthily avoid your side imaging thingy, and :box :box :box :box :box :box

There. That makes me feel better :biggrin2
ToddBob
International Falls, MN

Blessed

#274 Post by Blessed » Mon May 25, 2015 10:10 am

Any word from FAST...? :scared
2010 Sun Tracker 21' Fishin' Barge 90hp Optimax
2003 Chevrolet Silverado Z71
2000 Georgie Boy Cruise Master
Acts 16:31 (KJV)

tuned

#275 Post by tuned » Mon May 25, 2015 11:25 am

Blessed wrote:Any word from FAST...? :scared
Yep The rather sad and rather long story goes like so:

After waiting about three weeks, they finally turned it around and notified me that they were sending a shiny new ECU AND O2 sensor at no charge:nana

Several days later, I slap in my O2 without problem. Then ECU....big problem :cry:
Harness plug no plug in. WRONG friggin ECU. They were very accommodating and sent me the right one overnight.

Next day, I plug in and turn the key. NO FIRE (O2 sensor coded again)....AAAARRRRGGGHHH. The fact that I had the same (O2) symptoms made me very suspicious. I had already verified the harness wires with a meter. Numerous hours later, I think I have my answer. It seems as if my O2 relay socket might have had some corrosion by my best guess. I didn't do this plug, and they may have built it without any dielectric grease.

Long story short, I have now cut the socket off and jumped the wires (no parts on a holiday weekend) I needed to get power to the heater on the O2 sensor. Turn the key and.....the birds sang, the sun shone....all that stuff. She ran extremely rough (new ECU) and died about twenty times until it heated up enough to go into learning mode. I now have a perfect idle YIPPEE!!!

Along with that, if anyone remembers my bitchin about hard starting, a cough, and suspected vacuum leak last summer, it now starts perfectly and my Idle Air Control calibrated properly for the first time ever. Signs are good that I finally have all my problems sorted. I ain't gonna celebrate too soon tho. Long story short, I got a new ECU out of the deal that may have fixed everything. Its funny that they gave it to me for a completely different reason. Not even sure if they tested the old one. It prolly was just easier for them to swap out.

Keep ur fingers crossed. I can't stand it any longer and am launching in a rainstorm about as you are reading this.
ToddBob
International Falls, MN

curtiscapk

#276 Post by curtiscapk » Mon May 25, 2015 12:38 pm

awesome Todd! we were washed out all weekend and even if we wanted to get on the lake the floating debris was everywhere...
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS

Blessed

#277 Post by Blessed » Mon May 25, 2015 2:29 pm

Sounds good! Keep us posted... I hope everything goes well... :prayer

pond tuuunes

#278 Post by pond tuuunes » Tue May 26, 2015 10:54 am

Glad its getting better Todd. We are doing a complete rebuild of the engine. Boring it out to 540ci
2002 playcraft extreme,26', I/O, 498 ci, 625 hp, 580 ft pounds of torgue, Dart alluminum heads, holly 850 carb, bravo XR drive. GPS 76 mph.

tuned

#279 Post by tuned » Tue May 26, 2015 2:01 pm

pond tuuunes wrote:Glad its getting better Todd. We are doing a complete rebuild of the engine. Boring it out to 540ci
That oughtta slow you right down :biggrin2
ToddBob
International Falls, MN

Blessed

#280 Post by Blessed » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:53 am

tuned wrote:
Blessed wrote:Any word from FAST...? :scared
Yep The rather sad and rather long story goes like so:

After waiting about three weeks, they finally turned it around and notified me that they were sending a shiny new ECU AND O2 sensor at no charge:nana

Several days later, I slap in my O2 without problem. Then ECU....big problem :cry:
Harness plug no plug in. WRONG friggin ECU. They were very accommodating and sent me the right one overnight.

Next day, I plug in and turn the key. NO FIRE (O2 sensor coded again)....AAAARRRRGGGHHH. The fact that I had the same (O2) symptoms made me very suspicious. I had already verified the harness wires with a meter. Numerous hours later, I think I have my answer. It seems as if my O2 relay socket might have had some corrosion by my best guess. I didn't do this plug, and they may have built it without any dielectric grease.

Long story short, I have now cut the socket off and jumped the wires (no parts on a holiday weekend) I needed to get power to the heater on the O2 sensor. Turn the key and.....the birds sang, the sun shone....all that stuff. She ran extremely rough (new ECU) and died about twenty times until it heated up enough to go into learning mode. I now have a perfect idle YIPPEE!!!

Along with that, if anyone remembers my bitchin about hard starting, a cough, and suspected vacuum leak last summer, it now starts perfectly and my Idle Air Control calibrated properly for the first time ever. Signs are good that I finally have all my problems sorted. I ain't gonna celebrate too soon tho. Long story short, I got a new ECU out of the deal that may have fixed everything. Its funny that they gave it to me for a completely different reason. Not even sure if they tested the old one. It prolly was just easier for them to swap out.

Keep ur fingers crossed. I can't stand it any longer and am launching in a rainstorm about as you are reading this.
How'd it go?

tuned

#281 Post by tuned » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:35 pm

Well, she's runnin' (on two safety pins and a roach clip for a bit).

I finally soldered in a new socket and relay and my problems are gone....ummm....except for the ones from last year. Hard starting and a hesitation at 1200 rpm. Otherwise it runs well.

I have fresh eyes and resolve and am hitting it hard. Double check base timing and found it 5 degrees forward. Weird. The ECU can adjust from there. Recheck for vacuum leaks with a really nice stethoscope....nothing. So out comes the can of ether :scared . I totally douched that engine with the stuff looking for vacuum leaks. Still nothing. These are all things I tried last year, but I believe in being thorough.

Now when I get a chance, it is time to call FAST and get some advice on tuning. I have full control over timing advance curves as well as AFR curves, just not the knowledge. I am hoping one of these is the culprit.

BUT I am back on the lake :nana
Spent a difficult night at 30 degrees with a twenty mph wind slamming waves into me broadside on a dock. The three dozen beers probably didn't help :puke
Yep, life is GOOD :biggrin2
ToddBob
International Falls, MN

ToonGuy

#282 Post by ToonGuy » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:12 am

:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup
Just one boat...after another, after another :-)

photonfanatic

#283 Post by photonfanatic » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:36 pm

Did you buy the "fence" around the outside? Or did you weld all that up? That seems to be what the modern ones look like.

tuned

#284 Post by tuned » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:00 pm

photonfanatic wrote:Did you buy the "fence" around the outside? Or did you weld all that up? That seems to be what the modern ones look like.
Hey photon. The rails were factory blems. The doors were in the wrong places etc...so I cut, brazed and re-skinned the rails. Back about 5 or more pages in this thread is a long and fairly painful description of my process. Almost more work than what it was worth, but it would have been really spendy for custom rails otherwise.

Here's my latest build. My power ladder didn't have very good grab rails for big people, so I found some stainless exhaust pipe and some heavy floor flanges. They came out pretty nice methinks.

ToddBob
International Falls, MN

photonfanatic

#285 Post by photonfanatic » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:15 pm

Nice. How did you get ahold of factory blems? And how much were they? I scrolled through, but I admit I didn't read the entire thread. There is an aluminum welding and fab shop in my area. Normally they do big rig trailers, but they'll pretty much do whatever you take to them. It would be interesting to know their price on something like that.