Al the Mirthmaker (Mark III)

Post your restoration and rebuild projects here.

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

tuned

Re: Al the Mirthmaker (Mark III)

#226 Post by tuned » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:23 am

FINALLY.
Fuel leaks are fixed. Idle is fairly solid (still in driveway). Still gonna be rough out on lake in mid/upper revs. I just gotta tough it out until the ECU learns

I have a new rear mooring cover ala Red Green. I like it. I'm using tarp clips mostly everywhere so that I can just go grab another 8X10 off the shelf and slap it in! It self stows quite neatly up under the rear eve. Black on black when stowed and it hardly shows.

About thirty seconds and it is on with NO SNAPS and NO ZIPPERS. I hate em. Not only does it shed water nicely, it will guard my new sun lounge (still in progress) from sun damage.

Finally finished that fancy box that I worked on all spring. It covers my new exhaust. I'm using Jeep hood bungees in a couple of places to hold it tight and still pull apart with no tools. I'll get a close up after I fix a couple of hacks :oops:

And there you have it. Ready to launch either today or tomorrow...depending. :scared
ToddBob
'Al the Mirthmaker' (The Third)
Build-- viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14007
Rainy Lake/Voyageurs National Park
International Falls, MN

ToonGuy

#227 Post by ToonGuy » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:51 am

Looks like you're going to beat me :oops:

BTW disregard that PM I sent you...I figured it all out.
Just one boat...after another, after another :-)

curtiscapk

#228 Post by curtiscapk » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:11 am

Man Todd that thing is sick looking!
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS

redbeard

#229 Post by redbeard » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:58 pm

Looking good Al hope you make it to the water this weekend. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup
Truman Lake
1986 24' Playcraft "The Georgia Peach"
1996 Evinrude 88 HP
14x11 Prop

pond tuuunes

#230 Post by pond tuuunes » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:41 am

Todd, have you ever done a compression check on your engine?
2002 playcraft extreme,26', I/O, 498 ci, 625 hp, 580 ft pounds of torgue, Dart alluminum heads, holly 850 carb, bravo XR drive. GPS 76 mph.

tuned

#231 Post by tuned » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:34 pm

Does trolling back to my dock count as a successful launch? I think it just might :biggrin2

Still fighting the leakies. Had a fitting on my remote oil filter line dripping onto exhaust manifold. A little smoky :smoke . Didn't have the right tools to snug it up. I did manage to get to the mid rpms and the ecu ran it a little rich at first, then tuned itself and pretty good on low/mid rpms now. That's when the leak made itself known, so I didn't try to go to high end.

So I have a better tool kit put together and will go hit it tomorrow again. At least its on the water now, because I love Northern MN mosquitos

JT, I did do a compression check when I bought it. I can't remember exactly where it ended up, but all cylinders were about equal, it was recently rebuilt.
ToddBob
International Falls, MN

rob28

#232 Post by rob28 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:13 pm

:biggrin2 :biggrin2 :biggrin2 :biggrin2 :biggrin2

It's been in the water - a huge step forward and only a week behind me. ;)
Used to be a 2013 Sylvan Mirage Cruise 8520 LE powered by a Merc 50 Bigfoot.
Now we have a 2019 Sylvan Mirage 8522 DLZ LE powered by a Yamaha VF150..
2010 F-150 4.6L to haul it around.
You'll find us enjoying life on the Wabigoon.

curtiscapk

#233 Post by curtiscapk » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:45 am

:nutkick :nutkick I win!
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS

pond tuuunes

#234 Post by pond tuuunes » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:45 pm

A little off topic Todd, but I had to have the complete furnace and a/c unit replaced at the house this year $6800. thats the main reason the toon is sitting right now. BUT!! I am in a diet contest at work that ends July 1st, $2000 to win. right now I am winning. So far I lost 47 lbs. So Ill call it a late start, but my toon catches up quick! JT
2002 playcraft extreme,26', I/O, 498 ci, 625 hp, 580 ft pounds of torgue, Dart alluminum heads, holly 850 carb, bravo XR drive. GPS 76 mph.

tuned

#235 Post by tuned » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:21 pm

Long frustrating spring. Still slowly making progress, but sheeeesh :donno

All fuel leaks are fixed. ECU tuning continues. Finally got to the upper end of revs and set a new speed record. 37mph with full tanks! I think I'll be able to squeeze a little more out yet. Motor running pretty nice at all rpms now.
A slight hesitation between 1 and 2 thousand rpm when I hit the throttle. I can probably tune it out. It is possible that I have a small vacuum leak causing this. Did a thorough search with a listening probe and also a can of carb cleaner and could find nothing.
On the positive side, I finished up my exhaust cutouts. When I first hit the switch, I just about pee'd my pants it sounded so nice. Low, loud and throaty. I won't be using it much out on the lake because I need to be nice to the neighbors. It certainly will sound nice trolling up to the bar dock tho :smoke

Now the bad news. The oil leaks that I have been chasing have certainly been persistent, but I am a stubborn SOB. After fixing a fitting drip, I still was getting a little from around my oil filter (remotely mounted, thank god). You can see my 'bandaid' that sort of was keeping it at bay here.

At first I thought maybe I had a bad filter seal, so I made a mess and replaced the filter. And it STILL leaked at higher revs. After making another mess, I ran a finger around the sealing surface that the filter screwed on to. Felt rough, so I pulled the whole fitting off. This is what I found.

On close inspection, it almost looks like grinder marks. Some idiot before me really did a number on it. Why it didn't show up last year I have no idea. Consulting with my local machinist, he said it would be hard to mill it and make sure the surface was perfectly flat because of the screw thread fitting sticking out. I said screw that, and found a new one on eBay. So another 75 bucks and a few days of down time. :(
Oh well, the big lake temp is still in the 50s.

JT, ain't it fun to own shiny, pretty things that need constant attention and financial input?
ToddBob
International Falls, MN

ToonGuy

#236 Post by ToonGuy » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:08 am

I. Feel. Your. Pain...
Just one boat...after another, after another :-)

tuned

#237 Post by tuned » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:42 pm

ToonGuy wrote:I. Feel. Your. Pain...
Likewise. It sounds to me like we BOTH have been making a greasy hellamess. :(
ToddBob
International Falls, MN

Mrtoler

#238 Post by Mrtoler » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:51 pm

Todd, I'm really excited to hear what your final speed numbers are gonna be. But I'm already impressed with what you have gotten so far to. I'd love to have a boat with a climate controlled cabin, it's so hot here during the summer, I'd be nice to go inside and cool off!
Ryan, Martha, Ana and Nathan Toler.
(SOLD)1992 24' monark sun spa 240 1996 (rebuilt) Johnson 112
2014 South Bay chassis (IN THE WORKS)
2006 dodge ram quad cab
Crosby Texas

tuned

#239 Post by tuned » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:27 am

Mrtoler wrote:Todd, I'm really excited to hear what your final speed numbers are gonna be. But I'm already impressed with what you have gotten so far to. I'd love to have a boat with a climate controlled cabin, it's so hot here during the summer, I'd be nice to go inside and cool off!
Thanks Ryan. I think I'll hit my goal of 40 yet! Fastest houseboat on the lake! With the black roof, I'm glad that I put some insulation under it. The shack stays nice and cool out of the sun. I just got my oil filter fitting and installed it, cleaned up most of the mess, and took another test run. YAY! No more leaks. Ready to do some final tuning and propping aaaannd heavy drinking aaaaaaannnnnndddd SHIT. The flood hits (posted separately) and I am stuck on the trailer likely for at least a week or two. :devillol :devillol :devillol :x :x :x :x :eviltaunt :eviltaunt :eviltaunt :fyou :fyou :censored :censored :censored :donno :donno :donno :donno :donno :donno :donno :donno
I STILL haven't gotten in a single pleasure cruise yet. So maybe I still qualify for 'latest launch' after all. Oooohhhh, I'm gonna make up for all this eventually :drink4 :nana :smoke :drink
ToddBob
International Falls, MN

pond tuuunes

#240 Post by pond tuuunes » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:54 am

Hope this isnt hyjacking Todd, I won the bet at work $1800. So I called tge welder, he said to call him back end of august or september. So good news is I lost 51 lbs, and won $1800, bad news is boat will probably wait till next year. JT

Hope you get out soon!