Rear entry change over.

Post your restoration and rebuild projects here.

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

riverdog57

Rear entry change over.

#1 Post by riverdog57 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:40 am

Has anybody modified their Pontoon to make it a rear entry ? Mine has a popup changing room in one side of the sun platform and I was thinking about changing it for a rear ladder .

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

Re: Rear entry change over.

#2 Post by HandymanHerb » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:59 am

You can do it, I was thinking about it when my brother and I rebuild ours, but we decided on the under the deck, front ladder instead, no ladder laying on the deck and it goes deep enough to make it easy getting on.
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

jediger

#3 Post by jediger » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:03 pm

Ours is rear entry standard but it's got an added swim platform on the back that makes getting on and off easier and more comfortable. A front under deck ladder doesn't work due to the third toon and it would interfere with the trolling motor anyway.

We love it. My nieces prefer that ladder to the dock ladder to get out even when swimming off the dock.
Pinawa Bay, Manitoba
2014 Premier Cast-a-way 231, PTX; 2014 Evinrude 250HO ETEC

evinrude2stroke

#4 Post by evinrude2stroke » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:10 pm

jediger wrote:Ours is rear entry standard but it's got an added swim platform on the back that makes getting on and off easier and more comfortable. A front under deck ladder doesn't work due to the third toon and it would interfere with the trolling motor anyway.

We love it. My nieces prefer that ladder to the dock ladder to get out even when swimming off the dock.
The added swim deck sounds interesting. Do you have any pics of it to get an understanding of what it looks like?
Dave

2016 Manitou 20' w/ 90 E-Tec Pontoon Series

jediger

#5 Post by jediger » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:26 pm

I can do better than that. The guy we bought it off of this summer put it on youtube.

You can see the swimdeck at about minute 3:20.
Pinawa Bay, Manitoba
2014 Premier Cast-a-way 231, PTX; 2014 Evinrude 250HO ETEC

Friz

#6 Post by Friz » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:01 am

Yes, I just finished it. Have a Landau DX20 with the same aft configuration as you. Tore it down to the cross members for a complete rebuild. As part of the rebuild I moved the privacy curtain and opened up rear access. That involved cutting off the sundeck and it's safety railing. I had the railing chopped, welded and I reinstalled it on the shortened sundeck. To facilitate rear access I removed the fencing from about 3 feet behind the helm which ran around the stern aft of the privacy curtain/sundeck. There is fencing cowling around the engine so it worked out well. Installed an aft ladder. On the other side of the engine, under the sundeck was the 28 gal fuel tank. I removed it and put the battery there. It had been on the deck behind the privacy curtain. Works/looks great. There was a mini curved couch/live well immediately forward of the helm. I removed it. I built an enclosure there. Inboard it houses the privacy curtain which flips up just as it did before. On the outboard side of the enclosure is the fuel tank. I put the fueling hatch outside the fencing. Looks and works as well as it did from the factory. Lots of other work was done but that is the gist of what you asked about. More patience than rocket science. Maxim was measure twice, cut once.

Todd4

#7 Post by Todd4 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:45 pm

jediger wrote:I can do better than that. The guy we bought it off of this summer put it on youtube.

WOW! That's almost exactly like my '06 Bennington 22' tri-toon fisher. I usually leave the rear fishing seats at home if we have more than 2 aboard with the dogs. The extra space to store coolers, floaties and other storage is really needed to keep the area covered by the Bimini top clear for moving around in. I love the trolling motor too (I have the saltwater version), but it really intrudes into the floor space when stowed - takes a while to get used to, but I won't ever go out without it. I receive the most positive comments about the...................... wait for it........................................ Porta-pottie - LOL

Hope you enjoy your beautiful boat half as much as we do ours.

Todd

evinrude2stroke

#8 Post by evinrude2stroke » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:26 pm

jediger wrote:I can do better than that. The guy we bought it off of this summer put it on youtube.

Wow, that is a nice swim deck. Sorry it took so long to respond. I just saw it.
Dave

2016 Manitou 20' w/ 90 E-Tec Pontoon Series