Project Twin

Post your restoration and rebuild projects here.

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

tuned

Re: Project Twin

#121 Post by tuned » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:10 am

Well, I'm both happy and sad for you.
Sounds as if you still have a couple of major hurdles (although none insurmountable).
Buying and selling a lower will be a pain. I assume you verified that you are actually getting full throttle on that motor?
Props are doable, but not cheap.
The oil alarm? Is this pressure or oil tank level? This is the one that would scare me until it is sorted out.
Keep at 'er bro. As Charlie Sheen would put it..."Winning!" :nana
ToddBob
'Al the Mirthmaker' (The Third)
Build-- viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14007
Rainy Lake/Voyageurs National Park
International Falls, MN

ToonGuy

#122 Post by ToonGuy » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:41 am

Of course I didn't check yet, that would be too easy!

Actually, I do need to check the throttle because the port motor feels like I may have a cable in a bind slightly, but because the RPM variation is at all RPMs I automatically assumed a variance in ratios. Honestly I have no knowledge of what was available (obviously) and how much of a difference in RPMs one might make over another. Heck, I don't even know how to tell what I have :lol3

As far as the oil issue, I see no sensor on the tank so I'm guessing it's a pressure warning. My buddies motor did the same thing after sitting in storage for a year, so I'm hoping for the best. Don't start making me worry about it, I have enough on my mind already!!!

Had 2 separate locals drooling over it when we were loading / unloading and I mentioned it was for sale. I did give them both my number and I'm not holding my breath, but honestly I do need to decide where I'm going with this. I have a few things going on in life right now telling me it's been a fun project but it's time for some one else to take it to the next level. But at the same time I hate to NOT see it through to the end, and see it in all it's glory. Life is keeping me pretty busy for then next 2 weeks again, so I guess I have some time to think it over...
Just one boat...after another, after another :-)

r&s20

#123 Post by r&s20 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:33 pm

to determine gear ratio is fairly simple, set timing mark to zero (tdc). match mark lower unit and prop. put motor in gear (with key off) turn flywheel one full revolution, while someone is counting turns of prop. may not be exact but you will know if both are the same ratio or not.
if it ain't broke-it ain't ours
94 smokercraft 20ft 90hp johnson
fish and cruise
I am not ADULT SUPERVISION !

fergusmj

#124 Post by fergusmj » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:22 pm

Looks great Ty! Are those exterior lights by the side gate? looks nice!

At least the motors are running for ya :thumbsup
Ferg's Tritoon Build
[url]http://www.pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17012[/url]

RcgTexas

#125 Post by RcgTexas » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:06 pm

Rascal wrote:You do good work.......

Rascal

You can say that again!

:thumbsup :thumbsup
1995 beachcomber conversion to tritoon with Honda 135 ,

Link to rebuild [url=http://www.pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19016][Knot Normal][/url]

God Bless America

ToonGuy

#126 Post by ToonGuy » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:02 am

Thank you :biggrin2

Ferg...yes they are. The 900 series South Bays had those 3 clear LEDs mounted in the rails for a few years. It looks pretty neat at night.

tuned

#127 Post by tuned » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:29 am

ToonGuy wrote:As far as the oil issue, I see no sensor on the tank so I'm guessing it's a pressure warning. My buddies motor did the same thing after sitting in storage for a year, so I'm hoping for the best. Don't start making me worry about it, I have enough on my mind already!!!
Sorry dude. Didn't mean to give you a case of the 'noids'. It's only that I wouldn't want to see you turn a $50 dollar repair into a $5000 replacement. Just sayin'...you can work on your speed record later.
BTW, I have those LEDs in my rails too. I never did hook them up. I still need to figure out how to turn a SeaRay logo into SeaBay :lol3
ToddBob
International Falls, MN

ToonGuy

#128 Post by ToonGuy » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:59 am

Todd...I might be crazy but I'm NOT crazy enough to run a motor with a buzzer going off :fyou

I killed it immediately, and I'll take a look at it (as soon as life lets me) with some help from a friend of a friend who's got a mobile marine mechanic service :thumbsup

tuned

#129 Post by tuned » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:10 pm

ToonGuy wrote:Todd...I might be crazy but I'm NOT crazy enough to run a motor with a buzzer going off :fyou

I killed it immediately, and I'll take a look at it (as soon as life lets me) with some help from a friend of a friend who's got a mobile marine mechanic service :thumbsup
Copy that Captain. Apologies if I offended :oops:
ToddBob
International Falls, MN

ToonGuy

#130 Post by ToonGuy » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:55 pm

I'm also not that easily offended :lol3

ToonGuy

#131 Post by ToonGuy » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:04 am

Looks like my lowers are definitely different ratios...I posted in the general section about it. Any help is appreciated :thumbsup

ToonGuy

#132 Post by ToonGuy » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:26 am

Ugh. I was so certain my problem was with swapping the one gear box I did not do a good enough job inspecting them. Last night I had my wife watch the props while I spun the motors and I was WRONG...the ratios are the same. Preliminary visuals indicate the throttles are opening in sync (looking at side plates - need time to pull the fronts off) which leads me to believe 1 of 2 things:

Either one of my tachs is not reading correctly (I do have a few other gauge gremlins).

I have an ignition based problem and port motor is not hitting on all cylinders.

Either way I despise electrical problems. I've ordered a service manual, the first thing I need to do is figure out my low oil warning so I can get this ting in the water again and to more testing. Looks like this could be a long bumpy road...
:( :( :(

tuned

#133 Post by tuned » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:45 am

That could actually be good news. At least you don't have to pull your motor apart etc...
Assuming your oil alarm is pressure, just switch your sensors if you can get at them.
Same with your tachs. Try switching the 'sensing' wires at the dash.
That is one huge advantage you have for troubleshooting-two of everything! KEEP AT IT.
ToddBob
International Falls, MN

ToonGuy

#134 Post by ToonGuy » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:12 am

Yea, that's the plan. Need to get the manual so I can hopefully figure out WTH is what. Then the trouble shooting begins...

ToonGuy

#135 Post by ToonGuy » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:41 am

Ya know Todd...since you can't get on the water any way maybe you should come on down and trouble shoot this thing for me :biggrin2

After all...I do have anther toon in the water ready to go at a moments notice :uglypoke