28' Party Barge, new project with questions.

Post your restoration and rebuild projects here.

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

halmc

28' Party Barge, new project with questions.

#1 Post by halmc » Thu May 22, 2014 3:46 am

My project is an '89 28' Party Barge with a spongy deck. I've had the boat for a couple of years, and really like it.

Here are my questions -- so far:

1) any trick to getting the decals off the panels. My panels are in good shape, and unlike the rolls of panel material, are all cut to the correct shape. But they are plastered with aging decals that seem impervious to both paint remover and the special "wood grain vinyl remover" sold by 3M. In fact, I could actually hear the decals laughing when I tried the 3M stuff. My panels, btw are now removed from the rails.

2) I stumbled across a post on this forum with I cannot now find. It noted a Home Depot item -- I recall only the terms 'kick' and 'screen' -- that I've been unable to refind. The product was to protect folks from the sharp edges when the panels are pop-riveted on. (I also plan to use the double-sided tape.)

3) I am currently planning to have the rails powder coated. Any downside to that, other than expense?

4) One of my F Channels (is that the right name?) is damaged. Is there a source for a weld-in patch, or should I just settle for ordinary aluminum sheet.

Thanks for any thoughts on the project. Here's a coupla pictures.
Attachments
IMG_0092.JPG
IMG_0092.JPG (488.45 KiB) Viewed 2772 times
IMG_0091.JPG
IMG_0091.JPG (395.83 KiB) Viewed 2771 times

sunedog

Re: 28' Party Barge, new project with questions.

#2 Post by sunedog » Thu May 22, 2014 6:02 am

The guy who wrapped my boat used an angle grinder to take the decals off of my panels. I don't know what type of wheel he had on it, but it was obviously not a normal grinding wheel. I think it was rubber or fabric.

I just Googled for ya and found this:

http://www.amazon.com/Follex-ERW-Decal- ... B00BMU9CEM

Good luck!

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

#3 Post by HandymanHerb » Thu May 22, 2014 8:16 am

They make a decal removal disk I used on the race car, didn't even hurt the paint, it did it with friction and heat
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

halmc

#4 Post by halmc » Thu May 22, 2014 2:16 pm

HandymanHerb wrote:They make a decal removal disk I used on the race car, didn't even hurt the paint, it did it with friction and heat
I tried a worn out decal eraser and it was very tedious work. Kinda gave up on it cuz so little progress was being made -- is slow goin' to be expected?

Here's a bit better pic of the project beginnings:
Attachments
IMG_0096.JPG
IMG_0096.JPG (752.32 KiB) Viewed 2693 times