Panel installation with double sided tape?

Post your restoration and rebuild projects here.

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

halmc

Panel installation with double sided tape?

#1 Post by halmc » Thu May 29, 2014 4:25 am

I've run across some double sided tape that seems to be for installing 'toon boat paneling to the rails.

Is it effective? Is it typically used as the only 'fastener'? Can it be applied over a painted surface, or must the panel and rail be cleaned to bare metal?

Has anyone had good results with any particular brand, and if so, which one?

Thanks!

nicolebentley

Re: Panel installation with double sided tape?

#2 Post by nicolebentley » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:56 pm

I'm doing exactly this. I just logged on to post my idea for covering my fencing. My sister has experience using regular Scotch 3M white double-sided foam tape, with her job. She's used it outdoors for years, and she said it has held up like iron... and they have real trouble removing it. So we feel confident it will work for my purpose.

I'm re-covering my fencing with white corrugated plastic sign board ("Coroplast"). I'm adding red stripes to it with 3" vinyl tape, ordered from a sign shop. Actually I ordered it from Carolina Vinyl in Wilmington NC. It might be available online, I didn't look. At the same shop, I bought multiple colors of adhesive sheet vinyl, which I'll be using for other decorations. There were gorgeous colors to choose from, and only $2/per foot (24" wide, I think).

You could use this colored sheet vinyl to cut out all sorts of great designs, dots, flowers, words, stripes, etc. and apply it to the Coroplast. So, mine will end up with red and white striped "siding" and we've done a test run, and it looks perfect! Just what we wanted. Inserting the Coroplast panels within the aluminum rails, looks great. I will just clean the old panels with 409 and clean water, then stick on my Coroplast panels with the foam tape----However, I'm using the exterior grade of 3M foam tape, because it was rated to hold a lot more weight. Although my sister knows the Interior grade works great outdoors, my pontoon will be on saltwater (on the coast) so I may as well go with the exterior grade... our environment is really harsh, lots of damp salt air, strong heat & sunlight.

If I have any problems with this holding up, I'll post back here. Also, I don't plan to ever try painting my fencing, so I'm not real worried about glue residue, etc. I am hoping that this fix with Coroplast, can just be redone in 7 years or so, if needed. (They say the vinyl will hold up about that long.) My fencing is just the typical, worn-out original striping job, which I never like, anyway. Our whole point in getting a pontoon, was so that we could customize it. My first thought had been to paint it (because I'm an artist) but the prep job is more than I have time for, anytime soon.

BTW, I called around to sign shops to find the Coroplast. It comes in 4' x 8' panels, and ranged from $20 - 35 per sheet, locally. I bought the $20 ones, of course, and only needed 2 to cover my 24' pontoon. I will get a great new look for my fencing, for only $70 total! And it's quick and easy.

We have measured all the panel sizes, and cut the Coroplast with a razor knife. I did need a cutting mat, metal straightedge, and lots of razor knives ($1 disposables), and you have to cut slowly, as it's easy to slip and cut wild curves in the coroplast. It cuts super-easy along the vertical, and a little tough along the corrugated width. FYI, the longest panel you can make, to go around CURVED surfaces, is the 4', because the corrugations run the long way (the 8') and it will not curve that way. It has to curve with the corrugations running vertically, not horizontally. So I will have to piece the longest panels, which go around curves around the back, on my fencing.