1st time project pontoon

Post your restoration and rebuild projects here.

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

1stTimeToon

1st time project pontoon

#1 Post by 1stTimeToon » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:07 am

Always wanted to re-build a pontoon and finally took the first step and bought a project. Got a few (that's putting it lightly) questions. Its a 20' Playcraft with a 50 Evinrude. My goal is to set it up to take kids and seniors fishing. Its a blank slate with no seating and just a console that needs redone. I would love to do a hard top to give some more storage and allow some canvas sides so I can do bad weather days also. Don't know if the 20' will work. Also debating on doing some custom console (I am fairly handy) or a prebuilt model. The deck carpet is ugly brown so I am replacing it, but right now the deck seems solid. So I guess my first question would be hard top? Any ideas are welcome. The second would be console. Pre made or home made? The last is the deck. Should I do something to the wood prior to new carpet, like treat or paint or ??? Thanks much,
Larry
Attachments
photo[1].JPG
photo[1].JPG (164.96 KiB) Viewed 3082 times
photo[1].JPG
photo[1].JPG (164.96 KiB) Viewed 3084 times
If it swims I will try to get a hook in its mouth.

curtiscapk

Re: 1st time project pontoon

#2 Post by curtiscapk » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:02 am

Welcome!
Nice looking Toon. In my opinion start with the decking first unless it is TOTALLY SOLID! before you add new carpet or furniture. Trust me after going through it I wouldn't want to have to remove everything again.

See my rebuild in my signature if you have the time.
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS

RcgTexas

#3 Post by RcgTexas » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:00 pm

If you are going to fish that boat I seriously recommend Vinyl flooring. Pontoon stuff has a good product that will be non skid and will keep a lot of water off that wood deck. Also it will clean up much better when fish guts or bait get smashed in.

As far as the hard top goes that's personal choice, and would be better for curtains and weather. But more difficult to raise and manage without help. Ask anything, if we don't know we will make something up. Noooooooo! I'm kidding! :wink:
1995 beachcomber conversion to tritoon with Honda 135 ,

Link to rebuild [url=http://www.pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19016][Knot Normal][/url]

God Bless America

1stTimeToon

#4 Post by 1stTimeToon » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:29 pm

Thanks gentlemen. I looked at the vinyl flooring and looks like a better option. You know of anyone who used residential stuff like non-slip garage vinyl? About 1/2 the price.
If it swims I will try to get a hook in its mouth.