When to run wiring?

Post your restoration and rebuild projects here.

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

teecro

Re: When to run wiring?

#31 Post by teecro » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:12 pm

Looking at the pitting and crack in your lower unit do you notice that the area seems to have an ever so slight different hue? Makes me think that the pits may be weld precocity and that the area may have been welded on previously?
T CRO
2017 Berkshire CTS 24 RFX with Yamaha F150/Simomized 200
2015 Caravelle 16 EBo with Mercury 90

captainjohn

#32 Post by captainjohn » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:26 am

Teecro, I did not think of that. Will double check tomorrow. Long day today but got the carpet and vinyl down. Will take pictures tomorrow.

captainjohn

#33 Post by captainjohn » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:55 pm

Well, I finally finished sanding down the corner brackets and they look pretty good. I decided to clean up some fine scratches on the front deck edge flashing. Most cleaned up nicely but there are several areas with blackish margins where I sanded a little deeper to remove a couple of scratches. This margin stayed regardless of sand paper grit. I am wondering if there is a factory coating that I am going through and if so, how can I take it all off short of sanding everything. It took considerable sanding to make this show up. Anyone know what is going on? Thanks.
Attachments
006 (Small).jpg
006 (Small).jpg (74.6 KiB) Viewed 4646 times
005 (Small).jpg
005 (Small).jpg (71.18 KiB) Viewed 4645 times
004 (Small).jpg
004 (Small).jpg (82.51 KiB) Viewed 4646 times

Bamby

#34 Post by Bamby » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:04 am

You've sanded through the applied anodized finish of the aluminum down to the bare aluminum itself. It's pretty much like removing the paint down to bare metal when doing body work to a vehicle. As far as a way to correct this at this point, I really don't know but with time and weather exposure if the aluminum is left unsealed it has a tendency to self anodize to the point where the areas shound be a lot less visible or apparent.
Respect Our Recreational Resources
Leaving Only "The Footprints of Your Passing"

Boating the Muskingum River
1972 35' Crest Pontoon Houseboat
2007 90 hp. Yamaha

captainjohn

#35 Post by captainjohn » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:11 pm

Your right, I could just let it re anodize but would still have some of the scratches I was trying to get rid of. Decided to have the local powder coating folks blast it and then do a "anodized aluminum clear coat" color on it. No need to have an ugly flashing on the front of the boat while waiting for it to re anodize. I recall (a little late) reading somewhere that Premier has a protective coating on all their pontoons and aluminum. I wonder if you could apply it to areas like this after the fact?

ToonGuy

#36 Post by ToonGuy » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:06 pm

All aluminum on pontoons is anodized, the stuff that looks natural is clear or silver anodized. I think the term you are looking for is Oxidize. When raw aluminum is left to weather it will oxidize and turn slightly darker. The only issue with this is not only will it stain easily, it leaves a black film on your hands if you touch it. Eventually it will oxidize to a point that it won't change much any longer, but the clear anodizing is to keep that "new" metal look and keep your hands and cloths from getting black stains all over them.
Just one boat...after another, after another :-)

captainjohn

#37 Post by captainjohn » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:58 pm

I also took the two side pieces to get blasted and powder coated. That way it will all look the same and the price was OK. There is similar flashing on the stern but it is still in good shape. Have the carpet and vinyl down and looks good. Will get the flashing back early next week just in time for another rain storm. Once that is back on can put on the new fences and measure for furniture. Does anyone have a suggestion on drilling holes in fences so that they line up with their neighbor. There are already holes for longer fence pieces but using smaller gate sizes. Maybe a simple gig to site the holes?
Attachments
005 (Small).jpg
005 (Small).jpg (85.18 KiB) Viewed 4562 times
004 (Small).jpg
Pulled the cover back to show the carpet and vinyl with test fitting of side and corner flashing.
004 (Small).jpg (91.17 KiB) Viewed 4562 times
002 (Small).jpg
Filled in the slot for the control cables so I did not have to disconnect everything. Glued the carpet back down.
002 (Small).jpg (101.79 KiB) Viewed 4564 times

Discovery

#38 Post by Discovery » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:56 am

Since I have joined this site I have read a couple posts regarding boat rebuilds and building structures to house boats in. I appreciate the DIY spirit folks are sharing. This 'boat thing' is part of what we are. Rock on.

captainjohn

#39 Post by captainjohn » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:21 am

Well, after a little holiday break and weird weather I have some progress to report. Finally got all the fence up and bolted down. The stern was a real bugger but it finally all came together. Even with trying to do things in a logical order there was a lot of putting together and then taking apart going on. Had a minor glitch in the front gate measuring out at 32" instead of the planned 28". After reviewing with the pontoon fence folks we realized we had measured for full width in the stern and inside the finish trim line in the front. Their making another gate to fix and all will be well. Got the trim back from the powder coater and it looks great. Fuel tank is back in. Now need to order furnisher and paint the outboard. It looks so big inside without furniture.

Question. I have a 90hp and the literature notes can go with a 115hp. The official capacity sticker indicates max HP of 150. Is it worth thinking about going to a 115 or 150hp?
Attachments
004 (Small).jpg
004 (Small).jpg (101.43 KiB) Viewed 4399 times
003 (Small).jpg
003 (Small).jpg (88.5 KiB) Viewed 4401 times
001 (Small).jpg
001 (Small).jpg (83.23 KiB) Viewed 4400 times
017 (Small) (2).jpg
Stern with fuel tank in and new rear entry.
017 (Small) (2).jpg (91.21 KiB) Viewed 4399 times

curtiscapk

#40 Post by curtiscapk » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:55 am

Awesome work! Oh the memories of rebuilding! :scared :happy
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS

tuned

#41 Post by tuned » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:18 am

Build is looking good. Rails are great fun aren't they? *Rolls eyes*
As far as powering up, most people want to at some point-depending on usage needs.
If you do, don't mess around and put the biggest motor on you can afford. The hassle of remounting a new motor just isn't worth making only small changes. Good luck!
ToddBob
'Al the Mirthmaker' (The Third)
Build-- viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14007
Rainy Lake/Voyageurs National Park
International Falls, MN

Discovery

#42 Post by Discovery » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:10 pm

You mentioned on your November 10th post that you were looking for a 'ski pole setup'. If your intention is to tow then I would have to agree you want a 150 since you don't have strakes. A lot of engine for a 20'.

Did you find something that you don't like with the 90 since the overhaul? I am curious since you found a possible mismatch on the lower unit and cracks.

captainjohn

#43 Post by captainjohn » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:31 pm

Actually have not run with the motor yet. The idea came up when I was lying next to the helm station and happened to read the label. I will go ahead and finish painting the motor and see how it does. Could already pull a wake boarder before I started tearing it apart. Maybe with the tune up and clean up it will be all that I need. A guy can dream though. I am still looking for a ski pole set up. May have to go to the welder at the marina and see what he can come up with. The rear cleats will all be back plated when reinstalled so should be good for towables.

Discovery

#44 Post by Discovery » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:50 pm

That boat is looking good. Color and flooring choice are spot on as I see the pics. In my humble opinion I would run what you brung. If the dog and pinion are working in that lower unit and after sometime on the water you find it is time to power up, sell the whole unit. If she does what you want....that is thousands you save not buying. Now you are into double bimini's, lighting, GPS or a whole raft of cool stuff.

Thanks for taking us along on this build.

captainjohn

#45 Post by captainjohn » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:03 pm

Craig, it is uncanny how we can place a deck screw precisely where the fence bolts will go. Discovery, already looking for the "cool stuff". Just need to justify a GPS/depth sounder/fish finder for lake use). Think I might use sun deck pads from Veada. You can buy the outer two for an 8'6" boat and should cover the port and center sections nicely. Need to work out how to mount. I could attach to plywood with hinges and use additional vinyl to cover. Also like the idea of small rails on the edges. Still debating putting two helm chairs in the forward port side instead of benches. Looks nice but lose storage underneath. Good projects to think through on a rainy day.
Last edited by captainjohn on Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.