PVC Pipe Building

Post your restoration and rebuild projects here.

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Satt

PVC Pipe Building

#1 Post by Satt » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:14 pm

I have seen a crazy amount of great stuff you can build out of PVC pipe on the internet.

Have any of you incorporated PVC in your pontoon builds?

Thanks!

:pics

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

Re: PVC Pipe Building

#2 Post by HandymanHerb » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:40 pm

We have one member who had to build a small pontoon do his storage limits, he built a 16 footer and use pvc for fence frame and used a house water proofing membrane for canvas sides, if i remember his name I will search for it or maybe someone else can remember faster
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

Satt

#3 Post by Satt » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:20 pm

Thanks!

I am also wondering if there is REALLY a difference between "furniture grade" PVC and regular as far as using it as an outdoor building material.

Thanks again.

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

#4 Post by HandymanHerb » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:10 pm

Furniture-grade and standard SCH 40 and 80 PVC pipe of the same size have the same OD (outside diameter). This allows them to use the same fittings. Furniture-grade PVC has a glossy, highly-pigmented and weatherable outer cap that is extremely resistant to damage and degradation by sunlight. SCH40 and 80 PVC are not intended to be left out in the sun. These pipes and fittings are designed for use inside buildings to carry water, etc. UV degradation occurs in the PVC directly exposed to UV radiation and to extremely shallow penetration depths (frequently less than 0.001”). The effects are color change, slight increase in tensile strength, slight increase in modulus of tensile elasticity, and a slight decrease in impact resistance. Furniture-grade PVC pipe and fittings are more impact-resistant and have no printing or stampings on the exposed exterior. Also, the fittings available for furniture grade pipe allow more flexibility in design.

If you do decide to use regular PVC pipe for an outdoor application we recommend that you paint it. You can use a light color reflective paint coating to reduce the effects of UV. Typically you would use an acrylic or latex paint that is chemically compatible with PVC. Compatibility should be confirmed with the paint manufacture. Oil-based paints are not recommended.
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen