Bent Tow Eye

Post your restoration and rebuild projects here.

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

lorisuemiller

Bent Tow Eye

#1 Post by lorisuemiller » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:47 pm

My husband and I are considering a used tritoon, and in looking over the photographs, it looks like there is a bend in the tow eye (is that even what it's called?) on the front of the center toon. Rather than it extending straight out from the toon weld, it looks like it is bent at a 90% angle (or something close). It is a JC Suntoon 23TT.

We would like to know what this will cost to fix before we start our negotiations. Who can make this kind of fix? How would you find a shop that can do this? Thanks!
2011 Ford F150 Supercrew
2005 JC Suntoon 23TT with Honda 150hp
**Thrilled to own our first boat**

ToonGuy

Re: Bent Tow Eye

#2 Post by ToonGuy » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:18 am

You'll need to call machine shops in your area and find some one competent in welding aluminum. They can heat the metal and bend it back, and that may be all it needs. How ever aluminum in not very forgiving and there's a good chance it may crack when bent back. A good welder can fix that issue in a jiffy.

Can you post a pic?
Just one boat...after another, after another :-)

woolznaz

Re: Bent Tow Eye

#3 Post by woolznaz » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:23 pm

I have a bent tow eye as well. It really bothered me when I first saw the boat, but I have opted not to fix it. I assume the previous owner got it under a dock in some rough water or something, but I'll never know. The boat is in really good shape, so it still bothers me some, but I am concerned it will crack when I try to fix it and then what will that fix look like? If you get yours done, please do post some before and after shots and share with us how it went.
2007 South Bay 925 Tri-toon
5.7 Volvo I/O
Tow Vehicle: Toyota Tundra, 1794 Edition