24ft Grumman resto!

Post your restoration and rebuild projects here.

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

joshua99ta

24ft Grumman resto!

#1 Post by joshua99ta » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:44 am

I picked up a 24ft Grumman up last week. I don't have the specs on the boat as the previous owner couldn't find the paperwork. My bill of sale is in the mail due to the previous owner wanting it notarized(I know her personally so I feel I can trust her). I picked it up with the trailer for $1,500. I think I got a pretty good deal on it. The price was originally $2200 for the boat and $4,500 for the trailer but I waited it out and when it finally got to where I thought I could buy it and put a little money into it and be able to get my money back I decided I would buy it and I actually got it cheaper than I expected. I was expecting to buy it for $2,500 and put another $2,500-$3,500 back into it and be able to sell it later for $5,000 or so. I have no intent to sell but didn't want to since too much money into it.

This thing is in ruff shape. The seats are all trash. The deck is actually pretty solid but I'm going to replace it now instead of having to do it later. Luckily most of the fencing is in great shape with some small dents on the rear corners.

Its got a 1998(might actually say 1988 but looks like 98) Johnson 50hp 2 cylinder engine, the engine cranks and runs like a top. The previous owner told me he had a new water pump installed last spring(he ended up passing away last fall).

List of things to do for under budget
New decking w/ restore 10X or Tuffcoat(I've used this stuff before and like it)
New seats- from pontoon stuff
new console- this one is trash
discard the old bathroom walls and make/find something that will fold away
Some sort of livewell/baitwell
jamming stereo(already have lots of stuff laying around from past projects)
wash down system

Things that can be added/removed if I ever want to sell.
LED lighting all the way around
LED bowfishing lights
LED light bar for night navigation
Honda generator for the bowfishing lights
24v trolling motor.
BBQ GRILL!!!

Well onto the pics!

This is what she looked like when it got dropped off at my house.

Can't tell by the pics but the console is propped up with a stick b/c its rotted and falling over.

I'll get more pics of the pontoons etc. later. But they look great!

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

Re: 24ft Grumman resto!

#2 Post by HandymanHerb » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:58 am

We get 10 percent off from PS and it looks like you will be using it a bunch, we did ours, from floor up two years back, use to have a Grumman, but since they weren't there this time around, the name changed
Attachments
P1.jpg
P1.jpg (59.33 KiB) Viewed 2938 times
P2.jpg
P2.jpg (43.8 KiB) Viewed 2938 times
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

joshua99ta

#3 Post by joshua99ta » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:13 pm

Man that is an awesome rig! IDE love to do mine with just the seats up front like that but I'll need a little more seating

joshua99ta

#4 Post by joshua99ta » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:04 pm

unfortunately I don't have any updates. I didn't mention in the original post, but when I went to pick the 'toon up last week I was in the back of the boat with the engine cover off looking for a fuel leak and I had my hand propped up on the flywheel of the engine. My grandfather decided it was a good time to see if the engine would crank and my middle finger on my left hand got a ate up pretty good from getting caught between the flywheel and something. I'm having surgery Friday to try to get this thing sewed up so maybe before long I'll be able to get out here and get to tearing into this thing.

joshua99ta

#5 Post by joshua99ta » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:50 pm

I got around to messing with it today. I got all the fencing off. Tomorrow I'm gunna try to find some marine plywood tomorrow and start cutting all of the old decking off. I didn't snap any pics of it for some reason. But I'll work on that tomorrow!