Something a little different. I/O pontoon build

Post your restoration and rebuild projects here.

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

willy13

Re: Something a little different. I/O pontoon build

#16 Post by willy13 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:56 am

This is interesting. It looks like a short center tube with some sort of hydro foil in front of the transom. Hard to tell for sure. I would love to hear more about this. Please tell!

turbom700

#17 Post by turbom700 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:04 am

The two Suntracker Bass Buggys that I have had 16' and now this 24' have had a center toon that starts at the front and goes back about 4-6'.

The problem I was having with my boat is there is a gap between my front center toon and rear center toon(that house's the motor). When trying to get on "plane" the stern of the boat would actually plane quicker then the front driving the bow of the boat down.

I came up with this to try and get the front to pop out of the water. It works really well actually. From a dead stop the boat jumps to about 18mph if I give the steering wheel a quick shake to get some air under the toons the bow lifts up and the toon takes off to 26mph.

I have tried different angles and size and this one seemed to work the best. At one point in time I thought about using a single trim tap that I could acutate up or down with a switch on the dash, but at the end of the day it all getting taken out

This fall I'm going to run a complete center toon with a single step in it. Like they do on the offshore race boats.

turbom700

#18 Post by turbom700 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:51 am

tuned wrote:
turbom700 wrote:BBC was sold for what I paid for the BBC/Bravo compination. Free Bravo :nana :nana There is about 300 pound different between a fully dressed BBC and an all Alum LS1, trying to keep wait down on this thing.

I'll be running thru the prop exhaust, will still sound nice when up on "plane" but we spend a large amount of time idling around and want it quiet. Plus I really wanted fuel injection and the LS is so easy.
Yah, I was looking for an LS1 when I stumbled across the 454/Bravo at a steal of a price. Just couldn't resist.
What lake are you on?
How fast is your boat with the BBC in it? How much HP?

We are on Red Sand lake which is on the south end of Gull Lake in Brainerd. They are actually not connected. Its a smaller lake but its nice because there isnt a ton of traffic on it. I'm less then 2 miles from Gull Lake boat ramp if I want to go have a good time and watch all the rich folks Lol